Yes-Magnification Disc Rot

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
I pulled out my DVD-A disc today (Rhino Records 8122-78250-9, Europe) to rip it and found it is starting to rot. I probably had not played it since 2003.
Thought I would share so others can check their disc.
1584299809546.png

It took a while to load in DVD-AE and then reported a track error, ripped it anyway and the rip struggled with track 9 and could not complete the rip. Tracks 10 would not rip. Track 11 did rip

Ouch! I seriously cannot believe this is happening to our cherished music. As far as I know, mine is OK. Though, it's put away and not easily accessible.

Buy a disc, then rip it, then listen. Store in two different hard drives.
I had a laser disc collection once that happened to a lot of them. I have concert discs that are not ripped.
I do have Yes-Magnification 5.1 DVD 24/96 MLP ripped.

Buy a disc, then rip it, then listen. Store in two different hard drives.
I had a laser disc collection once that happened to a lot of them. I have concert discs that are not ripped.
I do have Yes-Magnification 5.1 DVD 24/96 MLP ripped.
Is a regular Compact Disc made out of different material? I keep hearing about Blu-ray & DVD-A rot.
I can't remember anyone stating that their CD rotted.

Am currently playing Yes' MAGNIFICATION in MLP DVD~A 5.1 and thankfully it was spared the heinous laser rot syndrome and sounds ....well, MAGNIFICO.

Is a regular Compact Disc made out of different material? I keep hearing about Blu-ray & DVD-A rot.
I can't remember anyone stating that their CD rotted.

I think it also has to do with storage. All of these discs are made of polycarbonate and subject to extremes in temperature. One wonders whether the Japanese blu~spec and SHM~SACDs/RBCDs will likewise suffer the same fate....over time.

I think it also has to do with storage. All of these discs are made of polycarbonate and subject to extremes in temperature. One wonders whether the Japanese blu~spec and SHM~SACDs/RBCDs will likewise suffer the same fate....over time.
My Magnification looks OK I'll try and give it a play tomorrow.

I don't think its always a temperature issue, all the BDAs of mine which have rotted (i.e. Floyd) were in a darkish room at the front of the house which never gets direct sunlight and tends be at a stable temperature all year round - even with the heating on.

My Magnification looks OK I'll try and give it a play tomorrow.

I don't think its always a temperature issue, all the BDAs of mine which have rotted (i.e. Floyd) were in a darkish room at the front of the house which never gets direct sunlight and tends be at a stable temperature all year round - even with the heating on.

I recall years ago during the advent of the Compact Disc [before DVD/BD], SONY touted the "CLEAN ROOM," an almost antiseptic room in which these discs were manufacturerd under the most scrupulous of conditions.

With plants now worldwide, wonder if the same high quality conditions are prevalent and if the disc curing process and use of various inks [dyes?], etc. have any effect on the final product. With billions manufactured every year in every conceivable configuration [DVD/CD/BD~A/UHD4K, etc.] it seems with the alarming rate of disc failures ...... something HAS been lost in translation.

I recall years ago during the advent of the Compact Disc [before DVD/BD], SONY touted the "CLEAN ROOM," an almost antiseptic room in which these discs were manufacturerd under the most scrupulous of conditions.

With plants now worldwide, wonder if the same high quality conditions are prevalent and if the disc curing process and use of various inks [dyes?], etc. have any effect on the final product. With billions manufactured every year in every conceivable configuration [DVD/CD/BD~A/UHD4K, etc.] it seems with the alarming rate of disc failures ...... something HAS been lost in translation.
I agree its quantity not quality! I have some 1983 CDs which won't play in the car anymore (they looked very 'tarnished') yet still play on the likes of the Oppo.

It was the rubbish vinyl that drove loads of people to copy LPs rather than buy them (I had to return 3 copies of Slowhand in 1977 before I got one which would play) remember the copying kills music stickers/adverts - looks we're heading in the same direction with physical digital discs.

… and streaming doesn't pay for most artists :(

I agree its quantity not quality! I have some 1983 CDs which won't play in the car anymore (they looked very 'tarnished') yet still play on the likes of the Oppo.

It was the rubbish vinyl that drove loads of people to copy LPs rather than buy them (I had to return 3 copies of Slowhand in 1977 before I got one which would play) remember the copying kills music stickers/adverts - looks we're heading in the same direction with physical digital discs.

… and streaming doesn't pay for most artists :(

You have to hand it to those ubiquitous OPPOs! They play almost everything without a hiccup. I have two VERY pricey Reference Meridian 800/808 players and when they show NO DISC ..... pop it in the OPPO and WALLAH. Unfortunately, the Meridians sound WAY better than the OPPO but when it won't play the disc ...what other alternative do I have .... other than rippin'...and what if the ripper won't read the bloody disc .......like the car player on your 2020 Aston Martin, Dunc?
See the source image

You have to hand it to those ubiquitous OPPOs! They play almost everything without a hiccup. I have two VERY pricey Reference Meridian 800/808 players and when they show NO DISC ..... pop it in the OPPO and WALLAH. Unfortunately, the Meridians sound WAY better than the OPPO but when it won't play the disc ...what other alternative do I have .... other than rippin'...and what if the ripper won't read the bloody disc .......like the car player on your 2020 Aston Martin, Dunc?
See the source image

Only in the Blue one :ROFLMAO:

Some members have mentioned hazing on blu rays wrapped in plastic such as the Doobies Quadio. I do know that certain plastics, such as those styrofoam insulation sheets will off-gas and should not be used in certain applications. For example, if you put gloss medium over styrofoam board in a hobby application, the medium will eventually develop black spots.

Now I don’t know if the plastic wrappers on these discs also off-gas, but it may be a consideration. (I don’t own Magnification, so I don’t know if the disc is wrapped in plastic, but this is a thread talking about blu ray disc rot.)

Back