Zektor HDS4.IC Component Video/ Audio Switch

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance7489

Does anyone know if one of these can be used strictly for 5.1 analog audio? There are 6 RCA inputs per channel but 3 are for component video. Can these be used for analog audio?.........Has anyone tried this??

https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Swit...ocphy=9022896&hvtargid=pla-392235580469&psc=1I am going to start with two or three of these. I have a stereo one and there is no difference between the video and audio channels except the color of the rca insert.
Nice price, a good find! Switchers are apopular topic around here fer sure. I love my Zektor but I have also used stereo switchers for my decoders. I actually have two of these:

SWITCHER.jpg

They were given to me by a friend that worked at Hi Fi Fo Fum. They were used for switching speakers, yes, using RCA connections. It wasn't too long before I got a much smaller pair of Radio Shack line level switches, 4 in. The problem with using stereo boxes to switch surround sound sources is, at least for me, it greatly magnifies your choice of bizarre decoding configurations. You know, Fosgate Tate decoding SQ for front chs, Ambisonic SQ for rears. QS Surround synth for rear chs, stereo for front. 🤪

Somebody obviously hand built that one which I am considering doing as well. But I have a feeling I will be satisfied with the above set up, for a good while.

I was lucky enough to find this to put between the switchers and the electronic crossover networks.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...vc-1-eight-channel-volume-control-sold.13827/https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649736431-msb-mvc-eight-channel-volume-control/images/3260127/
I used to covet that but it's not the balanced one and it lacks a knob. :cool:

Last edited:
Although the pile of balanced gear is growing like a malignant horridoma , in this case I still wanted unbalanced. It does have a remote control.
MSB does seem to make mostly high quality gear.

Last edited:
Although the pile of balanced gear is growing like a malignant horridoma , in this case I still wanted unbalaced. It does have a remote control.
MSB does seem to make mostly high quality gear.
I know that MSB makes quality stuff but the lack of a knob is/was critical to me as is balanced connections. The balanced version of this is rare and a bit kludgy.

The problem with using stereo boxes to switch surround sound sources is, at least for me, it greatly magnifies your choice of bizarre decoding configurations. You know, Fosgate Tate decoding SQ for front chs, Ambisonic SQ for rears. QS Surround synth for rear chs, stereo for front. 🤪
Likewise, I start fooling around with switching this or that. Next time I sit down, I've forgotten how I've left it switched, and I suddenly realize that I'm not hearing one thing or another, thinking something has gone awry, something is not working right...or I've stumbled on to a very poor mix with nothing happening in the rears at all! Then I remember the switches....laughing and crying, I get switched back...

I once had the chance to buy it on salesmans accomodation. But I didn't because there were no CDs yet and my only real program source was LPs.
I had an FM Tuner but the matching preamp had two or three inputs so I didn't need it. I considered buying it as a "completist" but was already spending way too much money. I had to draw the line somewhere. I was already being very profligate. Although I had a Reel to Reel I only used it for live recording, I did not need all those tape loops.

The one on ebay is priced reasonably. It is just a passive switchbox so buying it from Japan would not entail any power headaches.

Last edited:
I was diffident about the cost of the switch that I now use but it has turned out to be absolutely reliable and worth the investment.
Coleman 7.1SW

I presume it did not come with cabling. Did you have to get cables fabricated? If so by whom? (if I may ask). Being a passive device and coming from program sources, stuff is probably mostly unbalanced except the last few Oppos. But since its passive using one leg for unbalanced probably would not cause the headaches that are seen between things like the DM7 and amplflyers. On a passive device you could even mix balanced and unbalanced without any headaches.

I presume it did not come with cabling. Did you have to get cables fabricated? If so by whom? (if I may ask).
DB25-to-XLR snakes in standard Tascam pin-out are available off the shelf in all price/prestige ranges, from Seismic to Vovox.
Being a passive device and coming from program sources, stuff is probably mostly unbalanced except the last few Oppos.
All of my sources are balanced except the Oppo 7.1 RCA outputs but, since I rip everything to my NAS, that is not relevant to me.
But since its passive using one leg for unbalanced probably would not cause the headaches that are seen between things like the DM7 and amplflyers.
Yes, it is device dependent.
On a passive device you could even mix balanced and unbalanced without any headaches.
Probably but I have not tried it.

There is a way to mix balanced and unbalanced. It is called impedance balanced.

Balanced signals have 3 wires: Hot (inphase), cold (antiphase), and ground.

Unbalanced has only 2 wires: Hot and ground.

Impedance Balanced has 2-wires: Hot and ground. Cold is simulated by connecting a 600 ohm resistor between the cold terminal and ground.

Balanced and impedance balanced can be intermixed in most uses, as long as both are not used in cables connected end to end.

Back