Ziroq?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCunningham

I'm sure that many, if not all of the readers of this forum have probably never heard of this group. No surprise there as they are basically an unknown band with only this one title to their credit released in May of last year. Because of the obscurity of this group, I wondered why Silverline would pick this title for DVD-A release when they have so many other titles to choose from.

I decided to investigate a little further by making a trip up to the CdNow website to check them out. I use CdNow all the time as their site is setup so that you can download samples of all of the tracks on any given title they have in stock. They supply samples in either the Real Audio or Windows Media formats.

I can honestly say that after listening to samples of all the tracks on this title, Silverline made a great choice here. The music is a combination of classical Spanish guitar, salsa, flamenco and other Latin music styles fused into modern Latin Pop very similar to Ricky Martin's "Livin' la Vica Loca".

The tracks "Nomad", "Prisionero" and the title track "Ziroq" are extremely well done instrumental tracks and should be great in 5.1 surround.

This one definitely goes on my pre-order list. For those of you interested, I've included the link to the CdNow page for the samples of this title so you can check it out for yourselves.

Ziroq Sample Tracks

Thanks so much for such a warm review! - Due to the kind support of music lovers like yourself, Ziroq is gaining recognition, album sales are growing, and we're very excited about early response to the DVD.

We've just started an EZ board for ZIROQ at pub24.ezboard.com/bziroq, and will be launching ziroq.com in August. Please stop by!

Wow! Pretty cool to have an actual "artist" stop by and check in. For that alone, I have to get this DVD-A!!

How did you find Mikes write-up??

:-jon

Hi Jon,
In getting materials ready for the website, we just did a Google search of "ZIROQ" to see what was already out there, and happily discovered this great review (which, by the way, I took the liberty of forwarding to the band and their management - thanks again!).

I hope you'll stop by our ez board (pub24.ezboard.com/bziroq) to add your insights regarding the DVD once you've heard it! :D

Oh! I almost forgot - Ziroq is playing July 20, 2002 at Windows Restaurant - in the Transamerica Building, 1150 S. Olive, 38th Floor (Los Angeles). If you're interested, we'd love to see you there!

Hello and welcome to our board! I've been meaning to do a follow-up to my earlier post from May now that I've had the dvd-a in hand for a while. I have to admit that I was a bit worried about how good the dvd-a would sound based on Silverline's recent history of the poorly done Santuary titles. Thankfully, as it was one that I was waiting for, they got this one right. This is definitely their best effort since the excellent Dishwalla: Opaline, which has gotten very good reviews (and is also one I'm fond of as well).

To start with, Ziroq has both a hi-res MLP surround and stereo mix onboard, something that has been sorely lacking on most of their titles. The stereo mix (which is identical to the cd release) is only 48/24, but is still very good. The 96/24 surround mix is the real winner here however and I found myself transported away with the mystical riffs laid down by the band. When I originally listened to the snippets of the tracks from CD Now, I knew that I was going to like this disc. I'm happy to report that it's even better than I expected. My favorite cut is "Nomad", a hauntingly beautiful instrumental track. Classic Spanish guitar at it's very best. The title track, "Ziroq" is another very well done instrumental track. My favorite vocal track is easily "Closer To Me" which is included in both English and Spanish versions, and I enjoyed both versions immensely. My only complaint with this disc is that it wasn't longer. LOL.

I certain wish the band much success in their future endeavors and I for one, hope that we'll be seeing another album from them soon. I think it would make for a great day/date release for cd/dvd-a.

I also want to point out, two other excellent reviews of this disc which are much more detailed than mine. The first is at High Fidelity Review.com. Follow the link below and you'll find the link to the review in the upper left hand corner under "Latest Disc Reviews". The second was done by Dennis Powell over at "The Angle" and can be found by following the second link.

mike

High Fidelity Review

DVD Angle

I ordered this disc after seeing the review at DVD Angle and it's exceeded all expectations. The music is great, the surround sound well used and the interviews and videos give a good feel for the band live - they seem to be having a lot of fun and it comes through in the music. Highly recommended.

It's so nice to be able to get feedback from folks who appreciate the music AND the technology, and can give a really thorough perspective... Thanks for your warm reception, and for letting us know what you think. :D

MCunningham/MattB2 - If it's ok, I'd love to copy and post your review/s at our EZ Board, or better still, please feel free to come post them at our board yourself. Nuthin' says "street cred" (board cred? :lol: ) like getting it straight from the afficionado's mouth. :D

Thanks again for sending such positive feedback!

No problems - anything that helps to spread the word.

All the best.

I have just taken delivery of the Ziroq DVD-A. The sound quality is great and the music is a definite plus. My only concern with this disc is that I hear a click or crack sound when selecting options from the top menu. I have the Pioneer DV-S838A player. Just wondering if anyone else who has this disc can hear the same on their players?

Cheers,
Alan

My guess would be either your player or more probable, a bad disc (they do occur) as you're the first I've heard to report this. You might try taking it back for an exchange.

Hi Mike,

I'll try it in a different player. Possibly for me it might be better to eliminate the possibilty of the player being at fault before returning the disc. I'm in Australia, disc from a US supplier. Not that there would be a problem with exchanging the disc but the several weeks turnaround time is a pain in the proverbial...... I'll keep the group posted.

Cheers,
Alan

Back