What's spinning on the turntable?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm apt to put on anything that suddenly strikes my fancy...pulled out a bunch of old Mercury stereo Lp's by the Platters, for instance, just to hear that old wide L/R separation so typical in those early days. Also some soundtracks, like WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT and LORD JIM, both from '65...and a little Motown stereo, for some reason (usually I prefer mono for Motown anything). Also, finally, landed a clean promo copy of the 1970 ALIVE 'N' KICKIN' album, the one with "Tighter, Tighter" on it. The gal who sings co-lead was a ringer for Janis Joplin, though the hit had too much Tommy James in it for her to stand out. A member of the group went on to marry Donna Summer (until the day she died).

ED :)

This was somebody who liked "Bloom County"...this square "flexidisc" was included in a BC book (can't remember now)..well ,enjoy it cause it's rare and very funny!!!!

Thanks for the info Kap'n!!

Ataxia - Automatic Writing. A John Frusciante solo project, such a great album, especially the killer opening track, Dust.

Picked up a mint copy of this:

220px-Tales_from_Topographic_Oceans_(Yes_album).jpg

My first copy had an actual "Meltdown" and this addition fills that void! :smokin

Did it look like this:
bobdylan_coaster2.jpg

Never fear, you can simply increase the tracking force with a lead weight:
4kg.jpg
This will save time, since you will then be able to listen to both sides of the record simultaneously. :mad:@:

Did it look like this:
View attachment 11874

Never fear, you can simply increase the tracking force with a lead weight:
View attachment 11875
This will save time, since you will then be able to listen to both sides of the record simultaneously. :mad:@:

LOL! Very close to what happened. The on/off switch on my old "Oil burning furnace" froze in the ON position and the temperature in the house rose to over 107 degrees.
Candles melted, tropical fish boiled and albums melted down all back in 1982.

How did I know that the temperature was that high you ask?
The old thermometer in the medicine cabinet was pinned at 107.
What a mess.

Frantic said:
LOL! Very close to what happened. The on/off switch on my old "Oil burning furnace" froze in the ON position and the temperature in the house rose to over 107 degrees.
Candles melted, tropical fish boiled and albums melted down all back in 1982.

How did I know that the temperature was that high you ask?
The old thermometer in the medicine cabinet was pinned at 107.
What a mess.

Thank you for giving me something else to have nightmares about!

As usual, a lot of 45's, but also:

Billy Vera & Judy Clay: Storybook Children sealed MONO. I've had this one in stereo for a long time, but a clean mono had always eluded me--until now. An interesting but commercially modest pairing of good (if not great) talent. Three months after this album, Atlantic moved to stereo-only

Flaming Ember: Westbound #39. I have all their 45's (including promos) and some songs on VA albums, but for some reason (and though it charted for a few weeks back in 1970) never bought a copy of the stereo Lp (and yes, it is full stereo, though the mixes are typically limited, whereas the 'hot' mono mixes not only cook but play back better, as if they'd all been conceived that way).

Tremeloes: World Explosion '58'/'68. I always liked this UK group for their enthusiasm--remember their hot covers of Cat Stevens' "Here Comes My Baby" and the 4 Seasons' "Silence Is Golden" (one of the great '64 B-sides that, amazingly, didn't chart when many lesser B's did)? Their first two albums were rechanneled (and AFAIK, no stereo for any of it to date), but their next two--including this one--were, though not much to brag about. "Helule Helule" was the Lp's chart single, but most of it's fairly rote cover versions. The crude psych styled cover is a hoot!

There were more, but these are in the TT rotation at the moment.

Don't dig all of her songs, but finally broke down and bought the vinyl edition, this girl is one of the few singers of the new century I like to hear anytime, just luv the voice, and some cool production that is, alas, too polished for its own good.

Adele 21a.jpg

I've just got back into vinyl, having dug out my collection from the garage and fixed my rather basic turntable, but I'm happy that I did and I've started buying vinyl again, which is nice in a very nostalgic way. I've also started visiting physical record stores again (not that many to visit any more :( ) and have picked up some nice examples of either new or old material, such as the following...

Various Artists - After Dark 2 (Triple clear vinyl album) Synthwave compilation from the "Italians Do It Better" label
After-Dark-2.jpg

Lacuna Coil - Karmacode (180g Vinyl)
cd_lacunacoil_karmacode.jpg

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
DonaldFagen_TheNightfly.jpg

David Bowie - The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars (180g Vinyl + DVD-V with 5.1 mixes)
David-Bowie-Deluxe.jpg

I've got the crate digging bug again :) I've even thought about acquiring some quad vinyl with a view to purchasing some quad hardware in the near future :yikes

Only knew the first song, enjoying the rest, unfortunately not quite as minty as promised. Some real good guitar rock on this one...
GG ATT.jpg

Back