Rick Wakeman - Six Wives and Arthur

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the confirmation. I have watched the Catherine Howard OGWT performance - great historical interest, and his band here includes Alan White on drums. Another forum speculates that this performance is mimed - strange for OGWT, disappointing if true.

It's either mimed or has a backing track as there are several clearly visible parts where Rick isn't playing the lead.

So can you tell if it's Q8, or vinyl with master tape wobble?

No idea sorry, I'm enjoying the music too much :) if this Six Wives is a Q8 source it strikes me as a very good one.

I don't have any legacy Quad/Q8 equipment but I have an Akai CR-81D, which tapeheads rave about as one of the best playback& record examples of the format (I used to be very into stereo 8 track at one point) and I was never able to get quite that level of performance from 8-track tape.. and I tried my best to get the most I could out of those tapes back then.

I do understand why people are disappointed master tape sources weren't used and/or source info more upfront but I imagine when Neil gets here he will be able to elucidate us on the in's and out's.. and meantime in the interests of parity I have to say (two wrongs don't make a right but..) let's think of the many Quads to SACD/DTS/DVD etc we have bought with little to no idea what sources were used, even almost 15 years down the line who knows what Sony used for those SACDs of Blow By Blow, Isley's' 3+3 etc..? Steelydave very recently discovered those two 'only' have recorded info that indicates they may be from 44.1 digital sources.. I'm Universal's harshest critic over their HFPA screw ups but I believe in fairness too and these new Wakeman's aren't the first time we've had a Quad reissue with no idea upfront or after the fact even as to what sources were used.

Why do we give a shit what that little twit OD did does or is involved with. He was an idiot, bitched and whined and was a complete pain. His scripts had no air, sounded like shit. Computers can not recreate analog well and especially using a computer to derive audio that way. And one of these lps is a complete piece of crap. What a waste of time and $.

I think it's clear now who the idiot is.

I'm going with tape rather than vinyl, there's what sounds like tape stretch/fluctuations & wobble in various places on Anne Boleyn.. poor wobbly old gal.. "Off with her head!" :D

That 'wobble' (wow) on one track -- very evident in the long held notes of the church organ --has always been there , on every release.

Sadly there's no Arthur on Ice. Would have been nice to have seen that infamous piece of Prog history.

There's a video of a performance of Catherine Howard on "Henry" filmed for the BBC show "The Old Grey Wrinkled Testicle" in 1973.

Would have been lovely.. maybe they couldn't get the rights to the Arthur On Ice stuff?

Who is that sully?? Why would you spend good money on rereleased crappy lps with material you can do as well with at home.
Not my style and probably not Ricks, i have heard he is a nice guy, but if someone was so loose with my material that they commercially released a disc with a needledrop or a Q8, i would think about sending Big Louie and his little brother ask why. Tell me one reason why an artist would be happy with this. To leave a legacy? To sell it again 40 years later? Someone tell me he was excited about that aspect and i would be totally surprised and astounded. If he said yes to that type of project, then he is the idiot.
I think it's clear now who the idiot is.

Who is that sully?? Why would you spend good money on rereleased crappy lps with material you can do as well with at home.
Not my style and probably not Ricks, i have heard he is a nice guy, but if someone was so loose with my material that they commercially released a disc with a needledrop or a Q8, i would think about sending Big Louie and his little brother ask why. Tell me one reason why an artist would be happy with this. To leave a legacy? To sell it again 40 years later? Someone tell me he was excited about that aspect and i would be totally surprised and astounded. If he said yes to that type of project, then he is the idiot.

How about to preserve it and to allow it to be heard by those without a legacy system. A legacy system is a pain to keep up and takes up a crap load of space.

Now, can we please play nice boys. Thank you.

Whatever next!? Soon every surround reissue will be from a needledrop! :yikes

Come on.. let's be realistic.. when was the last time Universal did this? The Sabbath/Paranoid Deluxe set? That was 5 years ago.. Desperate times call for desperate measures.. and the sound on these two Wakeman's knocks the shit out of that Paranoid needledrop..!! Sheesh...
Adam there are couple problems in long perspective with such releases.
one were mentioned by steelydave
The problem is that when you put out a release like this, it pretty much cancels the possibility of a release sourced from the actual masters if they do turn up. As far as the record company is concerned, these titles are now 'done' and even if the quad masters turned up in two years I highly doubt they'd re-do it for release again.

When masters are 'lost', unless they've been burned up in a vault fire they're not actually lost, the record company just doesn't have the time/money/patience to source them. These labels have warehouses of tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of various kinds of tapes, often poorly labelled, mislabelled, or with barcode stickers falling off so spending money to pay someone to look through everything for a release that will likely sell in the thousands of copies just isn't worth it for them. I can almost guarantee you that the Wakeman masters are sitting in a vault in the US somewhere and left hand (Universal US) doesn't know what right hand (Universal US) is doing.
another - it's does discreditation to high definition audio in any and all meaning of this term. if someone pays $80, expecting premium quality
but received nothing but two plastic toasters, will this person buy in the next upload of similar goods?
for years i have this two quads, done by hobbyist. after reading reviews it seems difference between official and unofficial only that first authored
and compiled in Sonic DVDA and "major" want from you $40 each, and second one in Discwelder but free.
if Universal went into "trouble" to do this releases, that's not because they care about you or me but because they are desperately looking the
way to revive their business. sadly offering of inferior product at premium price won't help.

To me it seems while some masters are missing, there have got to be tons of quad masters that are ready to go. Universal ought to devote their time to what they have masters of rather than dick around with 8-tracks and quadradiscs. If the labels really do care about preserving quad mixes that have missing masters, why not work with us to preserve those? Its no secret that there is distribution of amateur conversions...why not work with us to allow a legitimate means of doing so? Perhaps some sort of system that allows downloads based on ownership of the stereo edition, for a nominal fee to pay for storage and bandwidth? If universal really wants to get in the business of legitimate Q8 and CD-4 conversions, there's a better way to do it than selling deluxe edition dvd-a's unmarked at a premium price.

On OD's blog the most recent transfer of Six Wives used SQ/II and was done from a CD. This Six Wixes used SQ/II-and-a-bit which is a slightly newer process. Also it was done from vinyl, it was found that the vinyl versions of Six Wives SQ sound better than the SQ CD (I've found a number of other web sites stating this, and not just the usuall "all CDs sound inferior to vinyl" argument).

There was an SQ CD?

The artist is an idiot if he wants his material in HI res and the source is a q8 or a needledrop. period. This has nothing to do with letting us hear legacy systems, that is what conversions are all about. Why do this, when the folks at home can do just as well. Again, what a waste of time and $, when there are a million better titles and real masters to release. Nothing nice or un nice, just reality. OD is off cause he was a fool who had an agenda. And he must have a few shills who give a shit about his silly no air scripts. Give one of those decodes to an artist an ask if they want that crap released in their name. 99% would laugh and toss it in the roundcan.

How about to preserve it and to allow it to be heard by those without a legacy system. A legacy system is a pain to keep up and takes up a crap load of space.

Now, can we please play nice boys. Thank you.

Why do we give a shit what that little twit OD did does or is involved with. He was an idiot, bitched and whined and was a complete pain. His scripts had no air, sounded like shit. Computers can not recreate analog well and especially using a computer to derive audio that way. And one of these lps is a complete piece of crap. What a waste of time and $.

Are you being sarcastic or did you forget to take a nap. Take your petty crap somewhere else. It would be nice to find out where these were sourced from without your personal name calling.

I'm getting sick of all this crap cluttering up this thread that's supposed to be a CIVIL discussion about 2 Quad releases on DVD-A.

If you're not satisfied with these releases, either don't buy them, or if you have already bought them, return them or sell them to somebody else who will appreciate them!

There's plenty of great things coming along the way to spend your money on, both Quad and 5.1, along with plenty of great releases that are already available, so please, for my sanity, stop the moan-fest already!!!

Back