Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're referring to the Japan SHM-SACD, IMHO there are CD's of it that sound better.

When I first bought the SHM-SACD of Aja I was a little disappointed...I expected too much...I've had 2 other CD versions of aja that had slightly better DNR numbers but didn't sound as "clean" as the SACD did...I think this disc gets criticized because of it's price...it was $60 when I purchased it...I've grown to love this disc...and the other thing having to do with expectations is people expected the type of sound quality that SD is famous for in their multi channel releases...which is a little unfair...

Peter Paul and Mary - In The Wind (SACD - Stereo)

Very pleased with the audio quality of this disc. Their vocal harmonies are just outstanding. Very clean, in some cases stark...which I love.

511NKXZDW3L.jpg

Pretenders - Learning To Crawl (SACD - Stereo)

Nice sounding disc. Seems it has nice fidelity from top to bottom. Has a real nice "bass" presence. And I mean Bass...like bass guitar. I like the way it sounds. Of course, the songs are excellent.

OK - just getting to the song TIME THE AVENGER. Wow, I love the way this song sounds...very punchy and punky. Good stuff.....reminds me of Blondie. This song alone has improved my impression of the disc.....creeping higher...and higher....

Whoa!!! Just got to the song MY CITY WAS GONE! Rush Limbaugh.....excellence in broadcasting.....lmao. I had no clue that his "theme song" was a Pretender song.....

This is a great disc, with great tunes.

Pretenders - Learning To Crawl (SACD - Stereo)

Nice sounding disc. Seems it has nice fidelity from top to bottom. Has a real nice "bass" presence. And I mean Bass...like bass guitar. I like the way it sounds. Of course, the songs are excellent.

OK - just getting to the song TIME THE AVENGER. Wow, I love the way this song sounds...very punchy and punky. Good stuff.....reminds me of Blondie. This song alone has improved my impression of the disc.....creeping higher...and higher....

Whoa!!! Just got to the song MY CITY WAS GONE! Rush Limbaugh.....excellence in broadcasting.....lmao. I had no clue that his "theme song" was a Pretender song.....

This is a great disc, with great tunes.

Although I was familiar with this band I really never gave them much attention...but that disc really opened my eyes to her voice...

"A good one! Suggestion: fans of The Zombies Greatest Hits SACD on Audio Fidelity should also look for The Searchers Greatest Hits SACD. Another winner, much in the same musical style."

I've had them both for years and the sound can't be beat, the only issue for me is that the Zombies material is all quite early in their career (which we all know only lasted like 3 years but....) something tells me that AF didn't have the rights to include anything from their ground breaking "Odyssey and Oracle".....great stuff there. John

"A good one! Suggestion: fans of The Zombies Greatest Hits SACD on Audio Fidelity should also look for The Searchers Greatest Hits SACD. Another winner, much in the same musical style."

I've had them both for years and the sound can't be beat, the only issue for me is that the Zombies material is all quite early in their career (which we all know only lasted like 3 years but....) something tells me that AF didn't have the rights to include anything from their ground breaking "Odyssey and Oracle".....great stuff there. John

Or Audio Fidelity may not have wanted the rights to that album. The key is to license the tracks that sell - and a Greatest Hits collection by the Zombies was a more likely winner than a specific album.

Understood, but the AF disc is not a reproduction of a previous Greatest Hits package......it is an accumulation of their earlier material with 2 or 3 bona fide hits included. Perhaps it was a collection that SH just preferred, who knows.
You can't have a Zombies GH collection without having "Time of the Season" on it now, can you? (If I recall, it is omitted) Odyssey and Oracle is strong from start to finish. Don't get me wrong, glad to have the Zombies, but would have been much better with later material included. John

Or Audio Fidelity may not have wanted the rights to that album. The key is to license the tracks that sell - and a Greatest Hits collection by the Zombies was a more likely winner than a specific album.

Understood, but the AF disc is not a reproduction of a previous Greatest Hits package......it is an accumulation of their earlier material with 2 or 3 bona fide hits included. Perhaps it was a collection that SH just preferred, who knows.

That would be a decision by Marshall at Audio Fidelity, not Steve Hoffman. Steve is an independent mastering engineer, Marshall is the President of AF.

The AF SACD of Zombies' Greatest does include two versions of Time of the Season, which was on Odessey & Oracle.
back.jpg

...You can't have a Zombies GH collection without having "Time of the Season" on it now, can you? (If I recall, it is omitted) Odyssey and Oracle is strong from start to finish. Don't get me wrong, glad to have the Zombies, but would have been much better with later material included. John

You got me Linda! Well, I'm at work (ssshhh....) so couldn't look at the disc, anyway, that may be the AF disc's nod to that LP, but if you've head their whole output (and I have no doubt that you have).....you know the best stuff is on O & O. Too bad more was not included. The AF disc is listening to 13 songs from 1965.....and then one from late 1968 closes it! A small quibble, just could have been a much more cohesive release.

The AF SACD of Zombies' Greatest does include two versions of Time of the Season, which was on Odessey & Oracle.

Chicago - SACD

I'm A man

Holy Cow....this stereo version simply sounds killer. The soundstage is SO wide.....just doesn't sound like 2 channel....

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story (Stereo SACD)

This is a good sounding disc. I mean, it's got some body, pretty warm. But, I think it's lacking some vocal brightness...which bums me out cause I love Rod's voice. But - it may very well be the best version of this LP. Some of the quieter moments sound excellent. Typical for SACD type versions. Some great music....Rod.....I truly love his music and voice. I could see myself owning this....

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story (Stereo SACD)

This is a good sounding disc. I mean, it's got some body, pretty warm. But, I think it's lacking some vocal brightness...which bums me out cause I love Rod's voice. But - it may very well be the best version of this LP. Some of the quieter moments sound excellent. Typical for SACD type versions. Some great music....Rod.....I truly love his music and voice. I could see myself owning this....

It's the best version of Rod's voice I have found..he has that raspy voice..Maggie May on that disc sounds special to me...hands down the best version of that song I have ever heard..

s4813.jpg
Flood - Herbie Hancock Japan Hybrid
Great performance. Fidelity is good, although some tape hiss is evident on the softer passages. Lots of Head Hunters stuff done live when it was new. In the LP days, this was only available in Japan, as a 2 LP set. It's been released on a Wounded Bird CD. I saw a listing on Amazon which listed this as a 5.1 hybrid. Alas, it is only 2ch stereo. That listing was for the Sony Music Japan release I own on SACD. Both the release # and date were the same.

s606.jpg
Folk Singer - Muddy Waters Single Layer
Great performance, good intimate, acoustic Mud with lots of reverb., but great fidelity

MI0002451838.jpg
Angel in the Dark - Laura Nyro Hybrid
Spectacular! - You need this. Great fidelity and a true genius. Her last sessions.

Attachments

• old-chicago-marshall-brodien-magic-shop-2.jpg
    old-chicago-marshall-brodien-magic-shop-2.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 140
Qcasx.jpg
Fire & Water - Free Japan SHM-SACD
I've never owned this one before, although I have a best of LP. It sounds decent for it's age, although nowhere near the best fidelity for that day.

51UlfP3sIPL.jpg
Best of John Denver Live Single layer
Great fidelity and surprisingly good performance, considering he was way past his prime. IMHO, a sleeper SACD. It had been available as a 2CD set called the Wildlife Concert. I also have a DVD-V of the concert itself w/video.

image.jpg

22 minutes is a bit short, but AF did such a nice job with this one that...
I just hit the repeat button. :music :music

View attachment 18055
Fire & Water - Free Japan SHM-SACD
I've never owned this one before, although I have a best of LP. It sounds decent for it's age, although nowhere near the best fidelity for that day.

View attachment 18056
Best of John Denver Live Single layer
Great fidelity and surprisingly good performance, considering he was way past his prime. IMHO, a sleeper SACD. It had been available as a 2CD set called the Wildlife Concert. I also have a DVD-V of the concert itself w/video.

The wildlife concert is just excellent IMO. Always enjoyed it and has some pretty good sound.

Chicago - SACD

I'm A man

Holy Cow....this stereo version simply sounds killer. The soundstage is SO wide.....just doesn't sound like 2 channel....
What Chicago SACD is this?

Back