Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about either of the Rick Derringer Quads?
Any word on the Edgar Winters?
Johnny Winter?
Raiders?
Jerry Reed?
Nilsson Schmilsson?
Mountain? (technically, both were on Columbia/Windfall)
Janis Joplin/Pearl?
Johnny Taylor? (Eargasm, Rated X-traordinare)

How about either of the Rick Derringer Quads?
Any word on the Edgar Winters?
Johnny Winter?
Raiders?
Jerry Reed?
Nilsson Schmilsson?
Mountain? (technically, both were on Columbia/Windfall)
Janis Joplin/Pearl?
Johnny Taylor? (Eargasm, Rated X-traordinare)

I just listened to Rick's All American Boy and Spring Fever last weekend. Were those the two that had quad releases? Man, I'd jump, jump, jump for reissues of those, plus anything Edgar* or Johnny - hell, I'm good with the rest of your list too. :)

-- Jim (*now playing: Jasmine Nightdreams on dts CD)

I just listened to Rick's All American Boy and Spring Fever last weekend. Were those the two that had quad releases? Man, I'd jump, jump, jump for reissues of those, plus anything Edgar* or Johnny - hell, I'm good with the rest of your list too. :)

-- Jim (*now playing: Jasmine Nightdreams on dts CD)

Authored a homebrewed DVDA at 96/24 for AAB a few years ago and I still have the decoded files for the SF LP in Quad 96/24..great mixes...I prefer SF , though...AAB (which, by the way I had him sign after a concert in Madrid in 2008) is quite a "dark" record...

Authored a homebrewed DVDA at 96/24 for AAB a few years ago and I still have the decoded files for the SF LP in Quad 96/24..great mixes...

Man, you guys with your old-school rigs... I could never afford all that stuff back in the day, had to get by with just the 2 channels! Still remember listening to a lot of quad stuff at the local stereo shop as a kid, though (I used to bug the hell out of those guys).

I prefer SF , though...AAB (which, by the way I had him sign after a concert in Madrid in 2008) is quite a "dark" record...

I dearly love 'em both. (And yeah, Rick has always been really cool about talking to fans after shows.) Funny, I've never thought of All American Boy as dark. I guess the last song definitely is, although it's also kind of gorgeous, in a haunting sort of way. Still gives me a shiver from time to time. But then that record will always be a direct line to my misspent youth...

Side note (again): I was sitting here earlier, listening to Edgar's Jasmine on dts, which I'm sure is the old quad mix, right? Anyway, I was thinking how these old 70s mixes were kind of gimmicky by today's standards, a bit too much shenanigans going on in the surrounds for one thing. Then it dawned on me to just kick the damn surrounds down a notch, and by a notch I mean 1 dB - and the whole sound instantly gelled! One decibel made the difference between 'meh' and 'ah, now I get it!'

I'll have to remember this as I acquire more of these old quad reissues. It seems to me, the way they tended to just stick you in the middle of everything, that the channel balance may be even more critical with some of this old stuff than it is with the more modern mixes.

-- Jim

Santana Lotus, Welcome or Amigos
Stevie Ray Couldn't Stand The Weather

Man, you guys with your old-school rigs... I could never afford all that stuff back in the day, had to get by with just the 2 channels! Still remember listening to a lot of quad stuff at the local stereo shop as a kid, though (I used to bug the hell out of those guys).
-- Jim
Hey hey (what can I do?)...I am not THAT old!!! got BACK into Surround in 2008..and have spent a LOT of dough on discs (LPs. SACDs, DVDAs and now BDs) since then...

Love it that you could listen to the quad stuff back then...,
and yes, Rick was almost cordial after the gig, at least he signed my LP with a "GOD BLESS!!"..but he TOTALLY ignored me when I told him I saw him opening for Triumph in 1981 in San Juan and he played his WHOLE set and blew Triumph away..maybe he was stoned and/or drunk and he didn't wanna remember that...now..Vinnie Appice (A- pee-chee) was a LOVELY guy!!!!!!

Looks like there's less and less titles available for licensing from Warner Music to Audio Fidelity when it comes to reissues of DVDA 5.1 mixes on SACD.

"Spectrum" might still be a candidate, but I found out from Marshall this morning that Warner is holding "Little Criminals" for a future release of their own. :(

I've never email in a recommendation for Miles Davis' "Tutu" though. That could be another great release!

Same goes for albums like "Fourplay" and "Imaginary Day" (Pat Metheny Group) :)

..... but I found out from Marshall this morning that Warner is holding "Little Criminals" for a future release of their own......

There in itself is another "clue for you all" (that did not come from me) that sort of explains why there was no surround on the "Riding with the King" AF SACD. Looking at this from a non-AF perspective, it might turn out to be very interesting, or very annoying. "Time will tell"

There in itself is another "clue for you all" (that did not come from me) that sort of explains why there was no surround on the "Riding with the King" AF SACD. Looking at this from a non-AF perspective, it might turn out to be very interesting, or very annoying. "Time will tell"

If Warner Music is holding back certain titles from Audio Fidelity because they want to do Blu-Ray Audio releases themselves, that's fine with me.
Otherwise, it's pretty silly…

But I'd love to suggest more "specialty" titles like "Tutu", "Fourplay", and "Imaginary Day" now and see what Marshall has to say about those.

Who knows? Maybe those 24/96 DTS "Quadio" Series releases from Warner Music will return.

Who knows? Maybe those 24/96 DTS "Quadio" Series releases from Warner Music will return.

If "Quadio" does return from Warner Music, I sincerely hope it will be on DVD-A or Blu-Ray.
DVD-V is such a waste in 2015 except if the title has a lot of video content.

Well, the AF Q releases are likely doing several things in the marketplace. They are of course providing the surround listeners with much sought after material. In the big picture they are showing off what a modern disc release can contain and how it's presented.

If AF were to go after a title where the artist can veto a quad release outright, but first the artist gets to see 30 SACD discs of all A-List titles previously done by AF, Doors, Joel, BS&T, and Sly, etc. It can change the perception of that odd and unusual mix being resurrected for public consumption. The artist sees that the original classic mix is still there, yet it has something extra and special added. And if majors like Sony and WMG are going along for this ride, other artists and labels might not think the whole thing is all that far out.

In other words the more SACD release with a 5.1 or 4.0 layer included - makes it that much easier to pull off again provided that they are done well, and sell enough copies.

On the other hand, yes it could make Rhino consider relaunching Quadio and shutting the door on AF.

But at any rate, good to hear that AF have titles lined up for the near future and the format has not turned out to be a dud.

I hate those damn double posts!

But anyway I think we need "Court and Spark" and "Late for the Sky" next, no really!

Like I've said, they are not just going to create a new compilation of Quad mixes that never existed to begin with...

But hasn't AF released stereo compilation albums that never previously existed? (I.e 'Legends' series)

Like I've said, they are not just going to create a new compilation of Quad mixes that never existed to begin with, and if any albums have already been licensed by Mobile Fidelity or Analogue Productions, then those won't get SACD releases either, so that might already rule out "They Only Come Out At Night" and several DB albums as they are already stereo SACDs from Mobile Fidelity. :mad:

What? What do you mean any titles MFSL or AP have already issued on SACD won't come out again on SACD?

Do you say this as knowing it is a contractual bind impossible to get around, or the title would simply not sell do to a previous SACD issue?

Either way I think you are incorrect, or flat out wrong. And this is why. The Edgar Winter Group album was issued long ago and I would bet the license period is long expired. In fact I've heard that short term licenses are all these companies can get. The second point is that we are seeing SACDs being reissued by AP which have already been out domestically. There are sometimes even SACDs reissued which do not contain the surround layer of the previous issue. So if they are willing to forgo a MC mix and reissue it yet again, then the fact it was even previously released seems to be less a concern, especially when it is a still hot title.

So to state that anything MFSL or AP have had out at one time or another (often years ago) is a no go, is simply wrong.

There are audiophile recordings that have come out on MFSL, DCC, and then Classic Records. Not one of these labels was able to claim 'exclusive' on the title beyond their short license period.

The Edgar Winter Group albums should be prime for the pickens' provided tapes are there and the artist does not hate the quad mix of their best selling album.

The other point, is that yes, a quad comp not previously out in the format is not an impossibility. If the tapes are there, and there is good will between the parties, and there is money to be made on the concept, then much is possible. We could see a Seals and Crofts Greatest Hits with quad for each tune included. That is what it is all about with catalog development - coming up with fresh new ideas about older titles. Btw, I don't see S & C hits as a good enough seller personally.

Last edited:
I could have phrased my post a little better as it's not completely impossible but highly unlikely that Audio Fidelity would be able to get an SACD license for the same album that other SACD companies have already licensed for release, but in regards to some of these titles or artists already mentioned, I just looked into it, and you may be right that the Edgar Winter title is no longer under license for SACD release by Mobile Fidelity given that the SACD was released 10 years ago and is now out of print. Maybe AF does have a chance with that one after all, but I don't think the same can be said yet for the Doobie Brothers titles.

And this:
There are audiophile recordings that have come out on MFSL, DCC, and then Classic Records. Not one of these labels was able to claim 'exclusive' on the title beyond their short license period.

It depends on what the use is. Giving a license for SACD release to one company and a license for a high-quality vinyl release to another company is not a conflict of interest like a competing SACD or vinyl release of the same title from two different companies.

Figured this would be a good time... Straight Outta Compton. Also might be easier if Suge goes to prison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I'm correct-you're the guy mentioned on the Jeff Beck quad sacd that just came out.

I just want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH- keep up the great work.

I know its slim to get any Warner Brothers as quad releases but Gordon Lightfoot and Joni Mitchell would be awesome.

Back