Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The waveform seekbar is ok and showing 6 channels. It's the horizontal meters at the bottom that only show stereo, unless I "unlock" the layout. Then they show all six but are over the top of everything else in the bottom pane.

Oh that's what you mean, yeah I tried that too with the same result so I went back to the spectogram or whatever it's called :D

My old Denon plays HDCDs (unlike the newer one) so I decided to listen to the US imports I got recently of Joni Mitchell's "Court And Spark" and "Ladies Of The Canyon" (I have all the others!) they sound great in stereo and I was surprised when I switched to DD Pro II Music, quite a lot appeared in the rear channels (my seat is much closer to the rear speakers). If only AF could release the Joni Mitchell Quads.

judas2_zpsy3qvgcim.jpg

ELP's
WBMFTTSTNE 3 LPs

weird cause the day before Keith died I wanted to listen to this...

Wow and holy shit, Batman!!
Don't think I had EVER listened to the whole thing in one sitting...

LOTS of action in the rears (wasn't the Stereo Mix done from the Quad mix?)...

The vinyl from about 1982 was not in that bad of a shape...
Had never noticed before that the sides aren't "branded" (the space between songs..)

Curious footnote..deadwax on Side 6, which is on Side 1 flip side (LOVED it when they used to do that) says " Love from Alex and ..." (can't remember and I already put it away)

There is also some quite noticeable "ground buzzing" on several songs...very inconsistent sounfd quality between songs..some of them were very dull sounding and some were top notch....

RIP Keith!!! you ROCKED!!!!!!

Curious footnote..deadwax on Side 6, which is on Side 1 flip side (LOVED it when they used to do that) says " Love from Alex and ..." (can't remember and I already put it away)

They did that to make the triple album playable with a record changer. You could stack all three records on the changer, and when played all the first sides you just turn around the stack and would be able to listen to the next three sides in the right order.

-Kristian

Absolutely Free - FZ & The MOI.
With all due respect to the many talented musicians that have been Zappa band members, my favorite group has always been the original Mothers Of Invention (Freak Out through Weasels Ripped My Flesh). This is my first conversion using the updated 1.3 version of SpecWeb, and I loved it (as always I take the defaults). I used the original RYKO CD from 1988 as I don't have the remastered version. The album itself was always a bit cacophonic :confused:, but I love it none the less. The conversion helped bring out a few things I never noticed before. I know it'll never happen, but I would love a good REAL 5.1 mix of this album.

Looks like I need to post a few more there !!! :mad:@:

True to my word...

Steve Miller - Greatest Hits 1974-1978 - this came out really well.
Frank Zappa - a whole sh..., er.., bunch of stuff. Chunga's Revenge, 200 Motels, We're Only IIFTM, Joe's Garage, etc. Results varied. :)

I had to sneak in the back door...I feel so "dirty" lmao

:D

Speaking of feeling dirty.. I got this single (flac) from a band I never heard of before this morning on 7digital.. it'll mess your hair! :scream:howl

[video=youtube;870jjK21gZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=870jjK21gZU[/video]

I'm working from home all this week, and I got my repaired Denon Universal Player back at the weekend. So I can do fake surround as I can connect through HDMI so I thought I'd have a listen via DD Pro-II Music to,

Tangerine Dream "Rubycon" Japanese SACD - works really well a lot appearing in the rear channels, and eerily fitting the music, is when some synth sounds move completely from the front to the back. Quite spooky!
Can "Flow Motion" SACD - I love all things Can, and this album works very well in fake surround, but it was recorded using the Artificial Head System
Doobie Brothers "Toulouse Street" SACD - certainly listened to the music in ProII, some instruments seemed to come from only the rear channels.
Supertramp "Crime Of The Century" BDA - this didn't work as well as I'd hoped, things do surround but its a bit muddled.

I had to sneak in the back door...I feel so "dirty" lmao

"I get so tired of sneakin' around just to get in your back door...". From My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama on the Weasels Ripped My Flesh album by FZ.

Speaking of Zappa (see what I did there?) today's offerings were Studio Tan and Sleep Dirt, both converted with SpecWeb 1.31. Studio Tan came out FANTASTIC, especially The Adventures of Greggery Peccary. If I didn't know I had converted this I would swear it was an actual 5.1 mix. There was plenty of discrete (Discreet) info in the rear speakers. The other 3 tracks were also nice but Greggery was the best.
Sleep Dirt had it's moments but not as much as Studio Tan.

By the way, I think the thread title is a bit misleading since most of the titles being listened to are actually SIMULATED 5.1 and not FAKE QUAD. Maybe LISTENING TO NOW... in SIMULATED SURROUND would be more appropriate (just a thought). :lookaround

"I get so tired of sneakin' around just to get in your back door...". From My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama on the Weasels Ripped My Flesh album by FZ.

I'm not really familiar with Zappa's music, other than having heard his name mentioned when people were discussing "uncommon" time signatures, but reading that, he sure sounds like an original "wacko"! :D (and once again, the language barrier lend me to miss the point earlier; "feeling dirty" doesn't have a connotation in french.. oops!)

By the way, I think the thread title is a bit misleading since most of the titles being listened to are actually SIMULATED 5.1 and not FAKE QUAD. Maybe LISTENING TO NOW... in SIMULATED SURROUND would be more appropriate (just a thought). :lookaround

+1 :upthumb

Back