Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There of course are a number of discs that sound great with a good decoder, just as I believe there are a few "actually encoded" but not disclosed for various reasons.

Anyhow, AUDIO MAG (U.S) was one outfit that periodically reviewed discs stereo and quad using their matrix decoders.This was in the pinnacle of quad release time of course.

And here's one I find quite good.

20151216_202108.jpg20151216_202121.jpg20151216_202145.jpg20151216_202354.jpg20151216_202335.jpg

TRAFFIC-WHERE THE EAGLE FLIES and AUDIO'S review in matrix.

I'll have to get this on CD (never owned it) and give it a listen.

There of course are a number of discs that sound great with a good decoder, just as I believe there are a few "actually encoded" but not disclosed for various reasons.

Anyhow, AUDIO MAG (U.S) was one outfit that periodically reviewed discs stereo and quad using their matrix decoders.This was in the pinnacle of quad release time of course.

And here's one I find quite good.

View attachment 23733View attachment 23734View attachment 23735View attachment 23736View attachment 23737

TRAFFIC-WHERE THE EAGLE FLIES and AUDIO'S review in matrix.

You know.......

Mickey Hart's label is named "360 DEGREES" on Ryko?

That means surround.

Used to have a disc on that label, THE RYTHMN DEVILS, something or the other.And I always wondered if it was encoded by some means?

anyway, just saying.

just needledropping ..
Taylor Swift-1989

I SWEAR that they all (the big artists) mix in Stereo but with a Dolby surround encoder, cause this LP has a LOT of VERY discrete info in the rears...

As I said, with new albums, I only buy the CD when it's not available on LP..
The set is nice and the mastering is quite good..

QC is a bit low...on 3 different sides there are some NASTY scratches (small , but KILLERS)...

the SPINDLE HOLE is WAY SMALLER, which means you'll spend at least 5 minutes taking it out...
(NOTE: the best technique is to HOLD the platter with one hand and MOVE the LP back and forth with the other hand and gently lift it at the same time...you don't wanna break a NEW EXPENSIVE LP)

The LP is missing 3 songs that are only available as mp3 downloads (..UGH!) that they could have EASILY fit on both LPs; sides 1, 2 and 3 have only THREE songs on them...

Taylor has been listening to Katy Perry...quite a bit...but still it's enjoyable....

ELO Across the Universe..
hmmm..
as always , I'm suspicious (in a good way) that Mister Lynne somehow KEEPS encoding his Stereo mixes to surround...(at least since OOTB..anybody has tried "The whale" in AT LEAST DPL II? The upwards glissando synth clearly goes around you panning in a perfect clockwise circle)....

Jeff, I like the "old MCH Tape Machine" plugins (or printing the mix to tape) of this mix...

We all know cause of the great MCH mix on the Zoom DVD...
Keep it up..!
:smokin

You might say this review turned out to be somewhat prophetic, as this disc did indeed come out in quad cd-4 later on.

Another review from "Audio Magazine" extolling the virtues of this disc in matrix quad.It's quite likely it was recorded with quad mixing from the onset.

BLACKBYRDS-FLYING START on Fantasy Records.

20160113_113025.jpg20160113_113030.jpg20160113_113033.jpg20160113_113037.jpg

Blue jay way from the german 1971 Stereo issue LP Magical mystery tour. In SQ it´s The Beatles spinning alllllll arrrrround the rrrrrrroooooom. Especially Ringo.

This german release is by far much better sounding than my Capitol 1967 stereo LP. I have read that Capitol would not wait for proper stereo mixes from UK so they made a fake duophonic stereo mix and the German one would be the first true stereo LP version of MMT!?

070912browimage.jpg

Just when you think you have a handle on what will sound good in fake quad and what will not, something like this has to go and sound great through the Surround Master.

ForumRunner_20160125_234638.jpg

Janbakker, First listen to HDTracks version, will do an upmix later.

Is that your meter showing high compression? I figured all Dream Theater always has high compression. I bought and listened to HDtracks The Astonishing yesterday also, and I figured it would be compressed but in 24 bit it wouldn't be super horrible. I loved the album got to track 27 before I burned out, lots of gimmicks in the music, for the life of me I don't know why they didn't put out a surround version right out of the gate? Steven Wilson has no fear.

Janbakker, First listen to HDTracks version, will do an upmix later.

Is that your meter showing high compression? I figured all Dream Theater always has high compression. I bought and listened to HDtracks The Astonishing yesterday also, and I figured it would be compressed but in 24 bit it wouldn't be super horrible. I loved the album got to track 27 before I burned out, lots of gimmicks in the music, for the life of me I don't know why they didn't put out a surround version right out of the gate? Steven Wilson has no fear.

I guess so, does sound good to me though on my Logitech set that is. Just started listening so don't have a founded opinion yet. The only DT album that doesn't suffer from compression and being too loud is Images and Words as far as I'm concerned, don't have all the waveforms stored in my (old) head though. Surround by Mr. Wilson is always a dream especially Images and Words would be a killer, I'm absolutely sure about that.

This is the waveform of an Images song, not compression free but that album sounds fantastic.

Yes, as you can see a lot less than The Astonoshing. I believe they are still compressing for the earbudders, but software and external equipment is taking care of the Loudness Wars, at least in the high end market. And mostly has to do with us rock listeners, not an issue with classical and jazz but I don't listen to classsical at al and a little jazz only. Funny, I had the original CD of Images and Words, saw them live because I used to be a drummer and everybody came out to see Mike Portnoy, I think the entire audience at The Warfield in SF where drummers all with there drum sticks in tow.

Mike Portnoy is still one of my favorite drummers (if not the) but Mike Mangini is not to bad either :rolleyes:, I also listen to rock almost exclusively (and some trance doof doof as fredblue puts it :D) but to be honest I never analyse music, I like the sound or not. There are compressed albums that sound good to my ears, dunno I'm certainly not an expert and do not have the best equipment in the world but it's me that has to listen to it :) (oh and the neighbours sometimes :violin).

Mike Portnoy is still one of my favorite drummers (if not the) but Mike Mangini is not to bad either :rolleyes:, I also listen to rock almost exclusively (and some trance doof doof as fredblue puts it :D) but to be honest I never analyse music, I like the sound or not. There are compressed albums that sound good to my ears, dunno I'm certainly not an expert and do not have the best equipment in the world but it's me that has to listen to it :) (oh and the neighbours sometimes :violin).
I agree with you 100%. I am going to see Joe Satriani with Marco Minneman as the drummer I think late February at The Fox in Oakland, will be my second time seeing Joe.
I used to get all uptight looking at the DR Loudness list and not purchase because of numbers and I decided that was stupid on my part, now I never look any more. I just trust with downloads like HDtracks at 24bit I am getting a little bit better than a 16bit RBCD. Funny twist is, for less money I can buy the RBCD, rip it for home listening and play it in my car, and one of the points, logic, for compressing is it sounds better in the car, which they do. As I have said before the music industry has us by the balls with our money.

Back