Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what's the skinny on the "rock" title that's coming for August?
Is it a previously released or unreleased Quad mix?
Any clues yet?

So, what's the skinny on the "rock" title that's coming for August?
Is it a previously released or unreleased Quad mix?
Any clues yet?

No firm info yet, but if it is being released in August, then we should be hearing more about it really soon, unless of course it isn't being released in August and won't be out until a little late on, then in that case, we'll probably have to wait longer before knowing what it is.

I'm going outta my mind wondering what it is also. I can't get the Chicago box set right now as my budget is blown, but I could swing another AF SACD if it is a white hot scorcher of a rocker.

I'm going outta my mind wondering what it is also. I can't get the Chicago box set right now as my budget is blown, but I could swing another AF SACD if it is a white hot scorcher of a rocker.

To me, the obvious title would be "Tyranny and Mutation" by Blue Oyster Cult, seeing as how Audio Fidelity just remastered one song from that album for their Collection released a few months ago.
But there's lots of other things that it could also be. Guess we'll just have to continue to wait and see what AF has in store! :)

To me, the obvious title would be "Tyranny and Mutation" by Blue Oyster Cult, seeing as how Audio Fidelity just remastered one song from that album for their Collection released a few months ago.
But there's lots of other things that it could also be. Guess we'll just have to continue to wait and see what AF has in store! :)

Like a Brick-n-Mortar? :ugham:

I think that if they did a BOC title it would be the other choice from the quad catalog, and not T & M, for some reason. I keep thinking that selections from the Collection are selections they can't do full albums of. We now know that this is not strictly true (because they included tracks from their own AF 4.0 SACD catalog). But if The Collection is a disc for unavailable quad album tracks, then it would be ST.

However, I am open to a Warner rock title that was acquired by WMG in a merger with parts of EMI. Remember when UNI had to give up certain parts of the EMI/Virgin/Parlophone/etc. catalog to Warners in the big EMI/Capitol selloff? There were a few things of consideration there.

I think that if they did a BOC title it would be the other choice from the quad catalog, and not T & M, for some reason. I keep thinking that selections from the Collection are selections they can't do full albums of. We now know that this is not strictly true (because they included tracks from their own AF 4.0 SACD catalog). But if The Collection is a disc for unavailable quad album tracks, then it would be ST.

However, I am open to a Warner rock title that was acquired by WMG in a merger with parts of EMI. Remember when UNI had to give up certain parts of the EMI/Virgin/Parlophone/etc. catalog to Warners in the big EMI/Capitol selloff? There were a few things of consideration there.

I'd rather it was Secret Treaties, its the better of the two BOC Quads and a better album imho.

That is a very interesting suggestion, what kind of potential EMI/Capitol Quad titles might Universal have had to give up in the big selloff?
Mercury titles? ABC/Command titles? Steve Miller? Ohio Players? Bachman Turner Overdrive? Steely Dan? Grass Roots? Four Tops? Rufus?

Would be up for any unreleased Quads, or prev unreleased on modern day/digital format of any of those artists.. (the Ohio Players & Rufus Quads are particularly fab)

Oh man - I would absolutely take whatever BOC Quad they give me....the COOL factor alone would make me order in a heartbeat. Back in the 70's...in central IL, if you had BOC playing...you WERE cool. :)

Well, and driving a 1972 4-4-2 didn't hurt either... :banana:

That is a very interesting suggestion, what kind of potential EMI/Capitol Quad titles might Universal have had to give up in the big selloff?
Mercury titles? ABC/Command titles? Steve Miller? Ohio Players? Bachman Turner Overdrive? Steely Dan? Grass Roots? Four Tops? Rufus?

Would be up for any unreleased Quads, or prev unreleased on modern day/digital format of any of those artists.. (the Ohio Players & Rufus Quads are particularly fab)

It was EMI doing the selloff, and not Uni. Uni was prevented from acquiring the entire EMI ship.
Mercury was never a part of EMI Fred, nor was ABC records, and out of the groups you mention only Steve Miller was a EMI/Capitiol artist. How cold could you get? I'm disappointed at your grasping at straws in the dark. (joke)

I think that's the case with a lot of the albums showcased on "The Collection". It's certainly that way for "Nashville Skyline", "Bitches Brew", "Abraxas", "That's the Way of the World", "Ship Ahoy", "Head Hunters", "Nilsson Schmilsson", and "3+3", but AFAIK, there's nothing that prevents AF from releasing "Tyranny and Mutation", "Wake Up Everybody", or the Friends of Distinction title if they want to.

Bmoura said there was talk about commissioning a top artist to remix a new album into 5.1 [from scratch] for future AP 5.1 release. Perhaps it's this album scheduled for release or am I confusing the issue here?

Bmoura said there was talk about commissioning a top artist to remix a new album into 5.1 [from scratch] for future AP 5.1 release. Perhaps it's this album scheduled for release or am I confusing the issue here?

I think that was before the decision made by AF to go in a different direction...to be candid and not wanting to be a buzz kill...this thread now seems more like wishful thinking...after the next few months I'm not so sure you are going to see any multi channel offerings from AF in the near future...I could be wrong but it seems that people haven't really accepted the fact that AF is going in another direction...away from the multi channel titles...some are acting like nothing has changed...time will tell but I think some are setting themselves up for a big letdown...

I'd rather it was Secret Treaties, its the better of the two BOC Quads and a better album imho.

Same here - Secret Treaties is the one I'm wanting the most. I'm dying to hear Dominance and Submission in quad...

I think that was before the decision made by AF to go in a different direction...to be candid and not wanting to be a buzz kill...this thread now seems more like wishful thinking...after the next few months I'm not so sure you are going to see any multi channel offerings from AF in the near future...I could be wrong but it seems that people haven't really accepted the fact that AF is going in another direction...away from the multi channel titles...some are acting like nothing has changed...time will tell but I think some are setting themselves up for a big letdown...

You're absolutely correct, Clint. I'm sure a few more QUAD titles might've been in the works before AF's decision and perhaps they will reach fruition but as many of us ARE aware...the party for all intensive purposes IS over.

Way too much drama to license these QUADs from the Majors and with all the red tape involved, I really wonder how much actual profit was realized after the ink had settled.

Well, Clint, back to the scavenger hunt to track down obscure surround titles on the internet from those smallish labels that still manage to release in 5.1. Just don't expect any major discoveries. I do applaud their valiant efforts but unfortunately, IMO, a lot of them are eminently forgettable and hardly worth the expenditure.

You're absolutely correct, Clint. I'm sure a few more QUAD titles might've been in the works before AF's decision and perhaps they will reach fruition but as many of us ARE aware...the party for all intensive purposes IS over.

Way too much drama to license these QUADs from the Majors and with all the red tape involved, I really wonder how much actual profit was realized after the ink had settled.

Well, Clint, back to the scavenger hunt to track down obscure surround titles on the internet from those smallish labels that still manage to release in 5.1. Just don't expect any major discoveries. I do applaud their valiant efforts but unfortunately, IMO, a lot of them are eminently forgettable and hardly worth the expenditure.
I refuse to believe that there is not a good bakers dozen quad SACDs in the pipeline from AF. Clint is a buzz kill and you are a Debbie Downer.

I hope AF continues with the ones that they have already done the legwork for on licenses, and found the tapes were in good order - even if it takes twice as long to get them mastered and released. They also need to up the list price on any that have a surround layer if the mastering costs are truly a problem.

I refuse to believe that there is not a good bakers dozen quad SACDs in the pipeline from AF. Clint is a buzz kill and you are a Debbie Downer.

I hope AF continues with the ones that they have already done the legwork for on licenses, and found the tapes were in good order - even if it takes twice as long to get them mastered and released. They also need to up the list price on any that have a surround layer if the mastering costs are truly a problem.

Well, Buzzkill Eastwood and Debbie Downer sure hope you're right, quicksrt. 13 MORE QUAD titles would certainly MAKE even Buzzkill Eastwood's DAY! And maybe it's high time for D. Downer to pop an UPPER but realistically, IF (a BIG IF) AF did in fact have 13 more QUADs in the pipeline, doubtful they'd announce their exit from multichannel SACD manufacture so prematurely.

At this point, I'm sure Buzz and Deb would even settle for a Six~PACK!:brew

BTW, doubt a price hike would help as in case you haven't noticed, a few of the AF QUAD titles are being blown out at various websites for $10 (with further discounting available....IMO, NOT a good sign):yikes

BTW, doubt a price hike would help as in case you haven't noticed, a few of the AF QUAD titles are being blown out at various websites for $10 (with further discounting available....IMO, NOT a good sign):yikes

Same thing happened to the Rhino CTA & Aretha titles. Fast forward a couple years and (at least in the case of CTA) routinely broke the hundie mark. Look at all the classic SACD's from the early 2000's! Most of those can't be had for any less than a C-note.

Remember, Audio Fidelity said they were scaling back their Quad releases and will continue to let out the occasional one. They haven't told us all to pound sand yet. IMHO, they went balls-out with a couple lack-luster titles and that may have slowed interest a little. I had to eat a small helping of crow myself though as I see the Herbie Hancock title is already sold out on the AF website.

Calm down everyone, Marshall has indicated to me that while the quad output will decrease, it will not go away and there will be ongoing quad SACDs, just not one or two a month as in the past year.

Time will tell but he had no reason to tell me otherwise, and I am sure that our own "Multichannel Maven" with chime in with the same info.

As of today I personally do not know the next "rock" title coming from AF, but when I do and I get permission to tell you all, I will. If Brian finds out first (which he probably will) and gets permission to divulge I am sure he will do the same.

Heck, in the past you guys have figured out the titles even before me just by checking the amazon listings. :)

Also, please - let's not attack each other, either directly or stealthy. We're all in this together, remember?

Back