What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audionics had one, and they joined hands with Fosgate later, but I don't know if they SQ'D that union.?

And then Shadow Vector, by Proton I think-not Tate but a highly respected SQ decoder.

-also Tetrasound. Not sure who manufactured it, may be Bob Fosgate.

And Peter Scheiber had the "360 Degree Decoder" again not Tate but quite SQ advanced, released in 77?, but I believe it was also quite expensive at the time.

fizzy

Is the 360 thing this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-S...731762?hash=item2118b98372:g:dWIAAOSwGYVXBpXL

Here is the pinnacle of these vintage decoders.

SQ UNITS
View attachment 27501
This is very rare to find

View attachment 27503
these came in black as well, and more common to get

QS UNITS
View attachment 27502
View attachment 27504

And remember these are vintage and old most likely need some attention from a technician.................

DROOL...!!! :p

I want them ALL..!!! :eek:

what's the Sansui QS-1 like?
(it has 4 lovely little VU meters that could come in handy if it has a 4-ch tape loop thingy?.. ;) )

The QSD-1 was Sansui top of the line QS Decoder they made one more at the decline of Quad with slightly better spec`s but that unit was mainly for the Japanese market & only 100 or so units were made..

DROOL...!!! :p

I want them ALL..!!! :eek:

what's the Sansui QS-1 like?
(it has 4 lovely little VU meters that could come in handy if it has a 4-ch tape loop thingy?.. ;) )

Sorry I thought you meant the QSD-1 unit........the QD1 unit does have 4 VU meters but was a early QS matrix decoder unit and does not compare with the QSD-1

oh that one, yeah QD 1.. QSD 2.. BBC 3 and ITV 4.. I dunno what its called Bill, its a Sansui, its not a receiver, its black and its got meters and its very sexy looking..
if I get one I may run away with it and elope to gretna green.
(don't tell my husband.) :ugham:

Grey matter not quite what it used to be.!!

Proton ! Really fizzy, I don't know.:confused:

I meant APHEX , who had SQ shawdow vector units, which btw were late 80's if you can believe it., so late ! They would be the manufactures of the very last commercial SQ DECODERS. I know Disclord was a big fan . (as per some of his posts ).

Also for QS there was the QS-1000 Decoder. It employed vario-matrix, as well. I know Dave Vacarro (a verygood quady btw) sent me a pic and info on purchase years ago. But I had my Sansui QSD-2 and it did wonders for me.
Same time as Sansui's first vario-matrix decoders, was either Toshiba or Hitachi units, or both ? Hitachi made the IC'S.

so what can I say, grab em all or some, or one anyway.:sun

Yes, avoid that one Freddie.

It was their first unit and employed very basic QS decoding (1970) with an attached amplifier.

aww... Fizzy... it just looks so pretty.. I want the 4 VU meters (and an Oompah Loompah! :D ) and I want them NOOOOWWWWWWW.....!!!!!! :ugham:

I'm actually going off the idea of bringing anymore gear into the house, I've got enough electrical shit as it is :eek:

Grey matter not quite what it used to be.!!

Proton ! Really fizzy, I don't know.:confused:

I meant APHEX , who had SQ shawdow vector units, which btw were late 80's if you can believe it., so late ! They would be the manufactures of the very last commercial SQ DECODERS. I know Disclord was a big fan . (as per some of his posts ).

Also for QS there was the QS-1000 Decoder. It employed vario-matrix, as well. I know Dave Vacarro (a verygood quady btw) sent me a pic and info on purchase years ago. But I had my Sansui QSD-2 and it did wonders for me.
Same time as Sansui's first vario-matrix decoders, was either Toshiba or Hitachi units, or both ? Hitachi made the IC'S.

so what can I say, grab em all or some, or one anyway.:sun

Aphex you say.. blimey.. that's a new one.. what model is it, FW?

does an Aphex cancel out vocals that have bled from front to back in SQ decodes? :eek:

QS I'm happy with the Surround Master, all I'm getting with them is low low level reverbed lead vocals in the rears which I can live with (for now) its the "singing over your shoulder" effect with some SQ stuff that's getting on me thrupenny bits so if there's a gizmo that can eliminate that and its not an arm and a leg I'm in.!

Aphex you say.. blimey.. that's a new one.. what model is it, FW?

does an Aphex cancel out vocals that have bled from front to back in SQ decodes? :eek:

QS I'm happy with the Surround Master, all I'm getting with them is low low level reverbed lead vocals in the rears which I can live with (for now) its the "singing over your shoulder" effect with some SQ stuff that's getting on me thrupenny bits so if there's a gizmo that can eliminate that and its not an arm and a leg I'm in.!

Adam, you'll probably going to HATE this post but I have to speak MY Peace.

The reason I mentioned Michael Fremer, Stereophile's 'resident' analogue 'architect' is that long ago he and a bunch of other resident Stereophile and Absolute Sound audiophiles proclaimed digital unfit for human consumption and proclaimed analogue KING.

Instead of pouring $$$ into making digital better they spent megabucks ensuring that analogue would reign supreme and started to create whackily priced turntables, tonearms, $20K cartridges (?) and $60K step up transformers (refines the sound from the turntable to the pre/pro) and of course 180/200g/45rpm discs which would perpetuate the analogue supremacy.

I had a Technics 1200 turntable and while it was 'adequate' when I had a receiver.....its shortcomings were pronounced when I switched to separates. I finally ended up with a $5K Sota Sapphire turntable with a Grace arm and a pricey $1K cartridge. The Sota also had a SEPARATE power supply and vacuum device which ensured the record would lay perfectly flat on the mat. Of course, it blew away the Technics by a wide margin but I still had to deal with the substandard vinyl of the day (180g and above vinyl was not available at this time). I even went the DBX encode/decode vinyl route but same thing.....the vinyl was meh!

Now we're in the year 2016. Digital has vastly improved but a funny thing happened......more QUALITY vinyl and a MUCH, MUCH greater selection of titles is available in THAT format than hi res digital. And those el cheapo $5K turntables have been replaced with $20, 30, 40, 50 and 180K turntables which dig deeper into the grooves and give you that tingling sensation that older designs (including the Technics 1200) could ONLY HINT AT.

My point: you're expecting to get that 'tingling' sensation from a Technics with the 'variable/suspect quality' vinyl produced back in the 70's and you're comparing it to SACDs/DVD~As created from the analogue masters and you're wondering why you're not getting that quality reproduction through even the Surround Master. Well, it's like comparing apples and oranges. If you did have the good luck to 'experience' those old SQ/QS vinyl records through one of those newly 'engineered' megabuck TT/tonearm/cartridge/step up transformers combos and megabuck separate components, I'm sure you'd probably experience an entirely different animal. But even I wouldn't invest in one of those whacky analogue set~ups as I've invested heavily in my digital front [including RBCD playback] end and even on that horizon, there are magabuck DVD~A/SACD players [Meridian, Meitner, Playback Design, Esoteric, etc] and DACs which would definitely, IMO, give those whacky analogue set~ups a run for their money.

As I've always maintained....I absolutely adore your enthusiasm for ALL things surround but even I have lowered my expectactations as to what we can REALISTICALLY expect in terms of DISCRETE SACD/DVD~A remixes from the Majors and the minors.

And I refuse to compromise my position by ever reverting to 1970 matrix systems, CD~4 and especially Q8 so I can hear those OLDER (But EXCEPTIONALLY GOODY) recordings in what I consider substandard sonics.

And I don't care if everyone gives me the evil eye on this statement: I do get royally pissed when remixed/remastered DVD~Vs with DTS are CURRENTLY released in very expensive box sets with 180g vinyl when DTS and DD should be ABSOLUTELY outlawed in 2016.

In Video, we're at 4K (8K in Japan) with 16K promised in 2020! Why in holy HELL can't the music consortiums play catchy up with their video counterparts and stop giving us LOSSY codecs???????

Ralph...

1.) I could never hate you :)
2.) I'm not new to vinyl, just new to getting Quad out of it (which is sometimes like getting Quad out of a stone..well so far I'm finding with certain CD-4 stuff anyway! :D )
3.) I don't have any unrealistic expectations of vinyl and am well aware of its inherent limitations.. still the desire to hear this Quad stuff is so strong I'm prepared to lose my marbles in the process! :upthumb

ps. I think I've licked the CD-4 distortion thing tonight too (I'll post about that in the other thread.. and its thanks to a QQ member, although they don't know it yet! :worthy )

Hi Adam, here's my piece.

I use an AT440Mla on a Technics 1200 Mk II. (The arm was replaced with a 1210 arm, as the bearings were damaged and the arm was a gift - as far as I'm aware the difference is merely colour trim. The output cables are different as the arm's cables had already been removed. I can't remember what they are, but I can easily find out if you want to know.) I have the Piano Man SQ LP and transferred it using the above set up. I software decoded it, and on You're My Home the acoustic guitar is placed hard rear right. There is leakage in the front, but it is negligble, and only really detectable when the rears are shut off. Strong seperation is possible without spending mega bucks.

Hi Adam, here's my piece.

I use an AT440Mla on a Technics 1200 Mk II. (The arm was replaced with a 1210 arm, as the bearings were damaged and the arm was a gift - as far as I'm aware the difference is merely colour trim. The output cables are different as the arm's cables had already been removed. I can't remember what they are, but I can easily find out if you want to know.) I have the Piano Man SQ LP and transferred it using the above set up. I software decoded it, and on You're My Home the acoustic guitar is placed hard rear right. There is leakage in the front, but it is negligble, and only really detectable when the rears are shut off. Strong seperation is possible without spending mega bucks.

Thanks Mike, that sounds super! :upthumb

If I could have got the Adobe software SQ decoding working on the Mac, I'd have used that rather than splash out on the Surround Master (much as I love it!)

In "You're My Home" are there any lead vocals in the Rear Right, that have leaked from front to rear?

In "You're My Home" are there any lead vocals in the Rear Right, that have leaked from front to rear?

There's a slight robotic sounding leakage in both rear channels, which suggests it should be hard front. Strong acoustic guitars and some keys in the back. I was mistaken about the acoustic leakage in the intro. It is hard rear right, but leaks slightly into both channels at the front on my decode.

Last edited:
There's a slight robotic sounding leakage in both rear channels, which suggests it should be hard front. Strong acoustic guitars and some keys in the back. I was mistaken about the acoustic leakage in the intro. It is hard rear left, but leaks slightly into both channels at the front on my decode.

Thanks Mike, that's great info, I do appreciate it.

on a related tangent(ial) I've just run track 2 of my trusty old test LP (Shure Audio Obstacle Course Era III) a few times and initially finding my Right channel running 0.5db hotter than the Left channel so there is a little bit of crosstalk in the channel balancing tests.. I've no idea whats causing that in the chain, whether its the cart alignment, anti skate, tonearm leads, phono preamp, MOTU interface, etc.. but i will have a further play around after I've swapped the phono cables around (I'm thinking if the imbalance swaps and Left becomes 0.5db louder than the Right then its something beyond the turntable and its leads and could be the preamp or the audio interface to the computer I guess.. I may never be able to fully balance L&R 100% but before I do another SQ or QS decode I'm going to have a bloody good try..! :D

Back