Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having bought the Audio Fidelity EW&F, Labelle, and the Sly & The Family Stone SACDs and liked them, plus having the Aretha Franklin DVDA on its way, I was wondering about getting the Tower Of Power and The Main Ingredient, but I can't remember ever hearing anything by them. Found some Tower Of Power on YouTube, but not any of The Main Ingredient - anybody know where I can find a link to listen to their music?

:wave :woopie :worthy :banana:

Having bought the Audio Fidelity EW&F, Labelle, and the Sly & The Family Stone SACDs and liked them, plus having the Aretha Franklin DVDA on its way, I was wondering about getting the Tower Of Power and The Main Ingredient, but I can't remember ever hearing anything by them. Found some Tower Of Power on YouTube, but not any of The Main Ingredient - anybody know where I can find a link to listen to their music?

These are some of my favourites from the Main Ingredient album - most of the youtube clips appear to be from sub-par vinyl copies of the album so the sound quality isn't great, but it'll give you an idea anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXB1Ys7367M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRAShcsjdbg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULv2SU4FJ4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFE7G8i7C6U

and Tower Of Power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNT4MKcg83g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2SnT3cEMi0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yFy2FDQbWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wRbAjVRagY

A few reasons why:

They release a block of titles a few times a year and without any previous announcements, so no build up anticipation for their customers. They only announce their upcoming titles once these are in actual production at the pressing plant, not in the early pre-production stages like most other reissue companies, which avoids disappointment in case of production delays. Very smart way of thinking.

Makes sense.
They could also get the discs pressed one by one, sit on them until the whole series is complete, then release them all at once for a bigger splash.
Regardless, DV are a welcome addition to this hobby/addiction.

Makes sense.
They could also get the discs pressed one by one, sit on them until the whole series is complete, then release them all at once for a bigger splash.
Regardless, DV are a welcome addition to this hobby/addiction.

I can see this as an enticement to order more titles in one batch when they release them in super clusters of four or more at a time.

Let's hope someone over there at that label likes to rock once in a while.

Wow, so exciting to see these in print after all the weeks of fussing and agonising I did over the writing. When I was asked to write these originally they asked me for 'about 1,000 words' each, but by the time I was done I was over double that. As you can see Dutton have added a bunch of extra pages to accomodate how verbose I ended up being and I can't thank them enough for it. I tried to edit my 2,000 words down to 1,000 and it seemed like an impossible task - the end result was like 'they were some guys who played music for a living kthanksbye'.

I also noticed that D-V have replicated the colour of the original inner sleeve of the Tower Of Power album on the back cover. I sent them some images of it (as well as RGB values) and it looks like they've got it bang on. As a collector I really appreciate those little bits of attention to detail.

So Adam, the million dollar question...how do they sound?

well I'm grateful to you for those liner notes and to DV for publishing your work in full, excellent stuff, ideally all such Quad reissues would have quality liners with pieces written by people such as yourself with great Quad knowledge.

I've only had a chance to play 3 of these new Quad SACDs once apiece (will give the Mancini a spin tomorrow) they are wonderful.. can't believe how great they all sound.. the mixes on the Montenegro disc are absolutely amazing.. the Main Ingredient I need to get more familiar with the album itself as never heard it before at all but sounds great and the mix is nice with one or two little round the room playful pans.. the title track on the Tower Of Power is kinda midrangey still on the lead vocals and they have a recessed quality in the mix which feels a bit rear heavy on that track (which is the same as the Q8 & SQ LP) but after that everything is such a huge improvement on the legacy vinyl & tape Quad formats it's just astounding, I was hearing all sorts of little things that just weren't resolved before and as I said in the QQ Listening to now in surround thread I was so elated (to hear Tower Of Power Quad not only with the discrete presentation of the Q8 but with sound so superior to both the cart and the vinyl) that I was absolutely welling up with sheer joy. I think you're going to love these Dave, I think they sound fab.

the mixes on the Montenegro disc are absolutely amazing..

The Hugo Montenegro Quad albums (and mixes) were designed to show off the capabilities of Discrete Surround Sound.
And they do.

It's why they were on my request list to Dutton Vocalion after the first set of Multichannel SACDs were issued.
Nice to see more of them arrive on Multichannel SACD. :)

Just ordered The Tower Of Power & The Main Ingredient SACDs - its funny how as I've aged I've liked more of what I dismissed as 'Disco' in the 70s! Mind you I've always liked The Isley's & Issac Hayes :)

I just ordered the Tower Of Power and Main Ingredient discs as my initial foray into Dutton Vocalion's catalogue. I am hoping to be able to afford more in a few weeks as I have some of them on LP already. I love the current price, a bit less than the AF discs, but wish the VAT had been removed. I would like to know why it isn't being removed as any other internet purchase I have made has had it subtracted from my totals.

Fred, my Japanese source isn't a secret, nor is it difficult. I simply peruse the Japanese Yahoo auctions, their equivalent to eBay, and purchase through Buyee.jp, a proxy bidding service. For some reason, Japanese sellers almost always refuse to deal with foreign buyers, hence the need for proxy services. I checked out a few and Buyee was the cheapest and I have been really impressed and happy with them. As to buying from any Japanese record shops, I haven't found any yet that specifically deal with quad LP's.

I have been following this thread with interest. I am pleasantly surprised there is so much interest in MOR/easy listening discs. My purchase will allow me to keep my copy of Euphrates River on CD4 sealed. Now, if I could just afford to get a newer Oppo to get the newer features that my BDP-83 lack. It is a combination of great surround titles that are affordable and having an Oppo that have swayed me away from being pure analogue.

ps, Fred, please keep up the witty banter, it helps keep my mood up.:spot

Dutton Vocalion sell direct thru Amazon UK marketplace and they're an eBay seller also, maybe either of those methods could get you the VAT off in future?

oh I know CV, you kindly told me all about how to buy the Japanese hardware before, I was just larking about (as usual :eek: )

doubt you'll ever need to open up that sealed Main Ingredient CD-4 of yours, the SACD sounds lovely, the mix is solid.. and musically its growing on me.. I can see where QQ Dave was coming from with the Isley reference but its more like their pre-3+3 stuff (not so rocky like Live it Up/Heat Is On/Go For Your Guns etc) but still soulful and funky, its sort of like Isleys' Brother Brother crossed with the Friends Of Distinction with a bit of Hues Corporation thrown in.

spinning the last of the latest batch of 4 now (Manicni Country Gentleman) sound is gorgeous you can just crank it and crank it and it never runs out of steam.. and the mix is so smooth with strings and brass and little accents in the rears throughout, sometimes there are strings washing over you, other times little staccato organ stabs, superb.. perfect relaxing fodder for a Sunday afternoon with your feet up.. ahhh... :smokin

which titles did you buy Darrin?
(if you don't mind me asking! :eek: )

SOOOOOOO hope DV can get that Wild Cherry Quad out btw,
another one of my most played Quads by far.

Tower of Power, Main Ingredient and the Percy Faith Chinatown two-fer.
Wasn't terribly interested in the Mancini & Como stuff offered previously, but these releases changed my mind.

I finally placed an order for a few...

Product ID: CDLK4602
Product Name: Ray Conniff - Laughter in the Rain & Love Will Keep Us Together
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: £9.99
--------------------------
Product ID: CDSML8523
Product Name: Tower of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now
Product ID: CDSML8524
Product Name: The Main Ingredient - Euphrates River
Order Total : £29.97
Shipping : £7.50
Grand Total : £37.47

wonder how many QQ-ers are buying the Hugo Montenegro SACDs..!?
not many by the sounds of it.. shame, the surround mixes are jaw dropping!

I also bought these...

[CDSML8525]Hugo Montenegro - Hugo in Wonder-Land Neil's Diamonds 1 9.99 0.00 9.99 9.99
[CDLK4572]Floyd Cramer - Class of '73 Class of '74-'75

I have a question about shipping from Vocalion. Will they send me an email when the items are shipped? If yes, will it include tracking, or well, I guess they come via Royal Mail...so no tracking.

I have a question about shipping from Vocalion. Will they send me an email when the items are shipped? If yes, will it include tracking, or well, I guess they come via Royal Mail...so no tracking.

Gene, another poster commented that D~V doesn't send out emails regarding shipments. I ordered the 11 QUAD titles and added the Stereo SACD of Watership Down and haven't heard so much as a whisper from them. Hopefully, when they're ALL replicated they'll take a week or so to reach the US, or, fingers crossed, in time for Christmas.:banana:

Gene, another poster commented that D~V doesn't send out emails regarding shipments. I ordered the 11 QUAD titles and added the Stereo SACD of Watership Down and haven't heard so much as a whisper from them. Hopefully, when they're ALL replicated they'll take a week or so to reach the US, or in time for Christmas.:banana:

Huh...I'll be damned. Oh well. Sure would be nice to get a "shipped" confirmation.

Back