Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steelydave posted: I hope the QQ mods make poll entries for all these [Dutton~Vocalion mch SACD] discs, even if they aren't in any danger of unseating Dark Side Of The Moon or Steven Wilson at the top of the poll charts. Aside from numerical rankings, poll threads also serve as an organised way of leaving and finding reviews of discs, so 2, 5 or 10 years from now if someone's wondering how one of these discs sounds (or any other minutae associated with them) they'll know where to look.

I couldn't be more in agreement as when all hope was lost when Audio Fidelity decided to curtail their mch SACD releases, the folks at Dutton~Vocalion took up the banner in a most agreeable way. Though, as SD intimates, they won't unseat DSOTM or Mr Wilson's stellar releases in terms of popularity, enough positive votes may encourage D~V to continue their mch venture....hopefully with more rock and jazz titles thrown in for good measure!

I've yet to receive my order (for ALL of the new mch releases + Watership Down in SACD stereo), but based on past D~V mch purchases, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

And as the prices of these discs are poised to increase, it's probably best to order before the first of the New Years or avoid paying more.

as unlikely as it seems I'd love for some of these old Quad reissues to trouble the upper reaches of the Polls, this is QuadraphonicQuad after all and you don't get much Quaddier than these DV SACDs..
the magnificent Quadio Chicago box outdoes anything else in Quad this year for me but these releases are a close rival and if there's any justice there should be high marks all round.. it's wonderful to see any Quad get a new lease on life, especially ones that are lovely musically and have great mixes that transcend their SQ vinyl & 8-track origins.. these DV Surround SACDs are a kinda sonic equivalent of seeing an old painting in a gallery 'pre' and 'post' sympathetic, expert restoration, you've seen/heard it before but never really seen/heard it in all its beauty until now.

It's been mentioned a couple of times that prices are going up.
Do we know when (the assumption seems to be Jan.1) and by how much?

which ones did you get? :cool:

I ordered 10 of the new Multichannel SACDs - 9 came in yesterday. The 10th - the Arthur Fielder & Boston Pops has yet to arrive.

So far, listened to Hugo Montenegro (Love Theme From Godfather/Good Bad & Ugly), Tower of Power (Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now) and Danny Davis & Nashville Brass (Travelin' & Carribean Cruise).
All 3 are sounding better than they did in the days of SQ, CD-4 and Q8 Tape to be sure! :)

I ordered 10 of the new Multichannel SACDs - 9 came in yesterday. The 10th - the Arthur Fielder & Boston Pops has yet to arrive.

So far, listened to Hugo Montenegro (Love Theme From Godfather/Good Bad & Ugly), Tower of Power (Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now) and Danny Davis & Nashville Brass (Travelin' & Carribean Cruise).
All 3 are sounding better than they did in the days of SQ, CD-4 and Q8 Tape to be sure! :)

And probably Q4, as well, Brian. I'm STILL awaiting the new batch but based on D~Vs first batch, the low noise floor was spectacular certainly bettering even the early Q4 Reels unless one had an outboard dolby b decoder....and even then.....those early QUAD Open Reel Decks were hardly as sophisticated as the new megabuck Open Reel Decks.

D~V has certainly done their homework and released some very classy QUAD fare.

Keep them coming..........PLEASE!....like Chase's eponymous first album, Chase: Pure Music, Gil Evans Plays The Music of Jimi Hendrix and how about some Neil Diamond who is sadly absent from SACD altogether!

Brian....you and steelydave can become the new QUAD whisperers (to the powers that be @ D~V)!

:yikes

Wow! Mine must be stuck in the Atlantic Ocean somewhere.....nearly 20 days since I ordered.

The other possibility is that your order included some pre-order titles.
To get the first 9 here, I sent Dutton/Vocalion money to split the shipment into two (available and pre-order 3 weeks ago).

The other possibility is that your order included some pre-order titles.
To get the first 9 here, I sent Dutton/Vocalion money to split the shipment into two (available and pre-order 3 weeks ago).

Well, my intention was to not include pre-orders. I suppose I could have made a mistake. I'll look again. :(

I emailed Dutton and within 2 minutes I received a response! Wow....at least they respond fast. Here is what they said...unfortunately...

Dear Gene,

We shipped that straight away but there’s a problem with international services affecting some overseas parcels. Due to new restrictions some percent of them is subjected for an extra security checks, run by sorting offices. Most of parcels is travelling with usual speed but some are pending for it and might get delayed. All that I can advise is wait, they are all arriving at the end but sometime it might takes longer

Kind regards
Simon
Vocalion Ltd/Dutton Epoch Retail & Export Team

I emailed Dutton and within 2 minutes I received a response! Wow....at least they respond fast. Here is what they said...unfortunately...

Dear Gene,

We shipped that straight away but there’s a problem with international services affecting some overseas parcels. Due to new restrictions some percent of them is subjected for an extra security checks, run by sorting offices. Most of parcels is travelling with usual speed but some are pending for it and might get delayed. All that I can advise is wait, they are all arriving at the end but sometime it might takes longer

Kind regards
Simon
Vocalion Ltd/Dutton Epoch Retail & Export Team

great company aren't they, I guess once its dispatched and 'in the system' its somewhat out of their hands? especially at this time of year it must be horrible work for all the postal people around the world.. still keeping everything crossed for you Gene that you get these before Chrimbo, you ought to be havin' fun! :D also hope these Quads do the business for DV and we get loads more from them down the line,
I'll buy as many they put out that musically appeal to me.. and maybe even branch out a bit :)

wow! from Watford to Cornwall overnight! that's super audio fast! :yikes

just being nosey ( :eek: ) which two did you order?

Fast under normal circumstances but 3 days before Christmas ''tis unbelievable!:teleport:
I got Tower of Power and Hugo Montenegro love themes from the godfather etc, haven't had chance to listen as yet will report back in due course.

An inspiring thread! My father used to play Tower Of Power ‎– Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now a lot, never expected this to be released in sacd quad! I knew that a traditional vinyl quad existed but I never got the gear to play those - now I'm eagerly awaiting this sacd! Any remastering done or is it a flat transfer?

An inspiring thread! My father used to play Tower Of Power ‎– Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now a lot, never expected this to be released in sacd quad! I knew that a traditional vinyl quad existed but I never got the gear to play those - now I'm eagerly awaiting this sacd! Any remastering done or is it a flat transfer?

I don't know what they did to the sound of the SACD having never heard the master tapes (it may be a flat transfer, they may have EQ'd it who knows?) but to my ears whatever went on behind the scenes the sound on the SACD absolutely blows away both the Q8 conversion I've heard and my own feeble attempt(s) at needledropping & decoding the SQ LP. I won't be bothering with either from now on whenever I want to hear the Quad, it'll be the DV SACD all the way-hey-hey! :D

"I can't stand to see the slaughter
but still I eat the meat"

:ugham:

some hippy soppy sentiment, some truly shit lyrics, some great tunes, some daft vocals, lots of superb musicianship! that's my précis of the album.. as for the Quad mix, it won't be everyone's cup of tea I suspect, you get the rhythm section showcased in the rears (bass rear left and part of the drum kit in rear right) and then all the layers of brass and drums and guitars and synths and other vocals get spread around everywhere in the surround soundfield, it's a full on quirky old Quad mix and I LOVE IT..!!!!! (I hope you will too Ninecats :)

:worthy :banana: :wave :woopie

I love Hugo Montenegro Godfather, Diamonds, and Wonderland. They were high on my wish list. The quad is simply the best. I have not been checking this thread, so just now found out about these. I can't wait. Ordered boy the of the HMs, and the Tower of power.

Last edited:
Wow, that is excellent. Mine still haven't arrived....I'm a bit bummed about it actually.

Mine came via registered mail yesterday and I wasn't home to accept delivery so they had to be picked up at the local Post Office today (and you know how that works the day before Christmas eve).

BTW, am now spinning Michel Legrand's Twenty Songs of the Century [ARISTA] and I noticed a who's who in jazz greats performing on this extremely discrete QUAD two~fer disc: Grady Tate, Eddie Daniels, Phil Woods, Toots Thielemans, Gene Bertoncini and Ron Carter......WOW!

I also noticed [but have not yet played] that the Rozsa Conducts Rozsa disc [SONY Classical] was originally released in STEREO but was also remixed in surround* exclusively for this QUAD reissue by Michael J. Dutton so Mr. Dutton is not averse to actually remixing for surround........good deal!:banana:

[*also exclusively remixed in QUAD from the original analogue multi~tracks by M.J.Dutton for mch SACD release: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7337 ]

Last edited:
I love Hugo Montenegro Godfather, Diamonds, and Wonderland. They were high on my wish list. The quad is simply the best. I have not been checking this thread, so just now found out about these. I can't wait. Ordered boy th of the HMs, and the Tower of power.

Hugo has never sounded better in Surround Sound. They're definitely must haves for Surround Sound music fans.
Hopefully we will get Hugo's "Rocket Man" tribute album to Elton John (RCA APD1-1024 (CD4), APT1-1024 (Q8)) in a future Dutton/Vocalion Multichannel SACD release. :)

Back