Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered 2 more, Danny Davis Nashville, & Main ingredient. WOOHOO -- QUAD !!!!!!
I also hope they get to the other great quad by HM Rocket man. I also hope we get a poll on the HMs. They are some of my all time favorite quads. A definite 10.
HM the Quadfather.

Just ordered 2 more, Danny Davis Nashville, & Main ingredient. WOOHOO -- QUAD !!!!!!
I also hope they get to the other great quad by HM Rocket man. I also hope we get a poll on the HMs. They are some of my all time favorite quads. A definite 10.
HM the Quadfather.

You will enjoy those as well.

The Tower of Power album in Multichannel SACD is much clearer than the Quad versions from years ago.
With the Danny Davis & the Nashville Brass SACD, Travelin' sounds better but Carribean Cruise is the real highlight. Much, much better than the CD-4 and Q8 versions from the '70s!

I listened to about 5 D~V multichannel SACDs tonight and of course the Main Ingredient's Euphrates River and Tower of Power were highlights as well as the usual suspects...the Hugo Montenegros and the Michel Legand (I found the Percy Faith a bit maudlin) but the real treasure is [and you won't believe it] the HYPER DISCRETE Andre Kostelanetz Music From Spain coupled with The Music of Villa Lobos. Absolutely enthralling from start to finish. There are a few opera segments in the Music From Spain with soprano Maralin Niska (SUPERB) but to say that this disc is one of D~V's unbridled Treasures is an understatement.

I cranked up Euphrates River and it really sounds amazing.

In all, Michael Dutton should be congratulated for resurrecting these 70's QUADS from obscurity and presenting them to us not only for a hugely fair price (and then some) but for his brilliant remastering acumen.

I cannot wait to hear the other 8 discs and look immensely forward to the five classical QUAD releases in January.

But please, PLEASE consider the Andre Kostelanetz disc. I'm still scratching my head.........pretty coo indeed!

but the real treasure is [and you won't believe it] the HYPER DISCRETE Andre Kostelanetz Music From Spain coupled with The Music of Villa Lobos. Absolutely enthralling from start to finish.

You have me curious. Can you describe the mix? I'm not used to discrete orchestral recordings.

J. D.

Well I'm finally putting my feet in the Dutton Vocalion pool as I have just ordered The Main Ingredient's "Euphrates River" and Tower of Power's "Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now"
After giving each of those records a quick preview, I was very confident that I would enjoy both of these very much!
As for the other releases, I will have to give them a long and concentrated listen before I decide to buy any other titles.

(PS I will try to make some more DV polls when I get the chance, but there's a lot of them to get through, so patience, please!) :)

Well I'm finally putting my feet in the Dutton Vocalion pool as I have just ordered The Main Ingredient's "Euphrates River" and Tower of Power's "Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now"
After giving each of those records a quick preview, I was very confident that I would enjoy both of these very much!
As for the other releases, I will have to give them a long and concentrated listen before I decide to buy any other titles.

(PS I will try to make some more DV polls when I get the chance, but there's a lot of them to get through, so patience, please!) :)

Great stuff! Hope you like 'em!
(the Tower Of Power is a quirky Quad mix :yikes ..but I love it!).

The others that are (to me) essential, so far, are the Legrand double album and all the Montengro's.. text book Quad mixes, demo worthy stuff all of them imho.

Thanks for doing the Polls :)

PS I will try to make some more DV polls when I get the chance, but there's a lot of them to get through, so patience, please! :)

Take all the time you need Ryan, even if you make one a week. :)

I just ordered the Michel Legrande disc based on the reviews of it being ultra discrete and entertaining, and dipped a toe into the Epoch ones with the well loved The Four Seasons disc. Somehow I can't see the piano concertos being very exciting in quad...but I may be wrong. You won't be disappointed with any of Hugo's material from a quad technical standpoint, or if you like the material he was covering.

Just ordered my second copy of Hugo Montenegro Godfather & Diamonds/ Wonderland quads. I just have to have a backup copy of these incase something happened to mine. I have never bought a backup copy of anything before, but I just LOVE these three quads.:banana::banana::banana::banana:

My order of 8 arrived yesterday. I've only had time for a few quick samples but they sound quadlicious! Thanks y'all for the thread and reviews!!

2017-01-01%2018.17.59_zpsvhj0lpex.jpg

Just ordered these titles from Presto Classical,

Michel Legrand - TWENTY SONGS OF THE CENTURY [SACD]

Ray Conniff - LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN & LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER [SACD]

Arthur Fiedler/Boston Pops - GREATEST HITS OF THE '70S VOLS. 1 & 2 [SACD]

Incredible find!!!!!!

Can't wait.

Regards,

After hearing a few preview tracks, I'm now very interested in "Love Theme From The Godfather" (even though I have no interest in the second album on that SACD).
Plus if I can find good previews (probably on YouTube) for "Wonder-land/Neil's Diamonds" and the other HM SACD release from 2015, then I may get those too.

This is kind of cool that DV are really helping me to branch out of my normal music comfort zones with these SACD releases!

:)

Love Theme From The Godfather was RCA Victor's first single-inventory CD-4 Quadradisc (RCA APD1-0001). It was designed to show off the potential of 4 Channel Surround Sound.
So it has quite a bit of explosive surround sound effects, panning, etc. Lots of fun.

The second album on that duo is the one that features "The Good, Bad & Ugly" which was Hugo Montenegro's big hit.
It's what he's best known for outside of Quad circles. :)

Hugo In Wonderland and Neil's Diamonds were later recordings. So they have better sound quality than the first two (Love Theme from Godfather and Scenes and Themes).
Well done and also worth getting.

Folks, today's your last chance to order from Dutton/Vocalion before they increase their prices (by one pound) tomorrow. :)

Folks, today's your last chance to order from Dutton/Vocalion before they increase their prices (by one pound) tomorrow. :)

That's fine with me. I'll take my chances with the modest price increase.
I'm still discovering the music they are reissuing, so it may take some more time before I decide if I will buy any more of their SACDs.
Last thing I want is to bulk buy just cause of cheap prices and regret what I purchase because I did not do my music research and listening ahead of time. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fine with me. I'll take my chances with the modest price increase.
I'm still discovering the music they are reissuing, so it may take some more time before I decide if I will buy any more of their SACDs.
Last thing I want is to bulk buy just cause of cheap prices and regret what I purchase because I did not do my music research and listening ahead of time. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes a lot a sense. :)

Sent from my Fisher Price phone using Tapattack

Wouldn't it be splendid if D~V could possibly release the brilliant collaboration between Michel Legrand and Barbra Streisand entitled Je M'appelle Barbra on SACD (or remix it for quad)?

IMO, a stunning achievement!(y)

much to my shame Ralph, I don't know that album :eek: ..but it does sound cool :)

still there's loads of Babs in Quad DV could have fun with, no remixing required!

Barbra Joan Streisand, Live @ Forum, Funny Girl, Stoney End, Way We Were, Lazy Afternoon, ButterFly, Funny Lady.. (BJS, Stoney End & Way We Were in particular are great Quad mixes.. and my SQ LPs are knackered so spanky new Surround SACDs would be dee-luvverly! :D )

Back