Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only heard the Beatles 1 mix of Strawberry Fields Forever once and it must have left me unimpressed as I do not have any recollections of it. What are your thoughts on that mix and based only on it does this bode well for Pepper's 5.1 mix?

In my very humble opinion, the SFF 5.1 mix on 1+ is "respectful". It does not, by any means, constitute an adventurous mix, preferring to favour the use of the rears to complement movement from left to right, for example with the sitar. The chorus benefits more from the format, as it is a busier segment of the song, but overall, it respects the original.

What concerns me a little is this line... "New 5.1 surround audio mixes of the album and 'Penny Lane' by Giles Martin and Sam Okell, plus their 2015 5.1 surround mix of 'Strawberry Fields Forever'." Penny Lane was remixed into 5.1 for 1+ in 2015 too, so why have they made a new one? My only thought is that the 1+ mix is either an upmix due to a lack of suitable multi-tracks and they've either now found or restored them or made a better upmix. I'm curious.

I would both LOVE and HATE to have the job of remixing The Beatles in to 5.1, given the reverence of the catalogue and the age old Mono v Stereo debate. Messing with what JPGR decided was best is tantamount to sacrilege, but if anyone should do it, it should be Giles. I think everything from Rubber Soul onwards should get the 5.1 treatment, mainly because this is where the 'studio as an instrument' concept really began for them. That said, I'm sure all their work could work well in 5.1 if done right. I am desperate to hear 'Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite' and 'Good Morning, Good Morning' in 5.1. I say 'desperate', but I also mean petrified!! ;) I'm sure they will be amazing.

If Giles and Apple Corps. have any sense, they will have done a great job on this, because if they get this right, they've then validated a reason to remix the rest of the catalogue in 5.1 and milk it yet again for another round of catalogue reissues ;)

Anyway, my pre-order is in. Roll on May 26th :)

Just got a response to my tweet to Sam Okell mentioning that 1+ 5.1 was quite reserved and didn't seem to feature many discrete surround elements and would Peppers be more adventurous in surround and he replied with an emphatic "Yes!" so that's encouraging.

I have suddenly got quite excited.

6 discs no Vinyl means this will hit the automatic purchese buttons.

The Doors could learn a thoing or two from this !!

There is a track listing on the amazon.co.UK site now:

Disc: 1
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
8. Within You Without You
9. When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. A Day In The Life

Disc: 2
1. Strawberry Fields Forever
2. Strawberry Fields Forever
3. Strawberry Fields Forever
4. Strawberry Fields Forever
5. Strawberry Fields Forever
6. When I'm Sixty-Four
7. Penny Lane
8. Penny Lane
9. Penny Lane
10. A Day In The Life
11. A Day In The Life
12. A Day In The Life
13. A Day In The Life
14. A Day In The Life
15. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
16. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
17. Good Morning Good Morning
18. Good Morning Good Morning

Disc: 3
1. Fixing A Hole
2. Fixing A Hole
3. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
4. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
5. Lovely Rita
6. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
7. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
8. Getting Better
9. Getting Better
10. Within You Without You
11. Within You Without You
12. She's Leaving Home
13. She's Leaving Home
14. With A Little Help From My Friends
15. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)

Disc: 4
1. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!
9. When I'm Sixty Four
10. Lovely Rita
12. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. A Day In The Life
14. Strawberry Fields Forever
15. Penny Lane
16. A Day In The Life
17. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
18. She's Leaving Home
19. Penny Lane

Disc: 5
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
9. When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Lovely Rita
13. A Day In The Life
15. Penny Lane
16. The Making Of Sgt. Pepper
17. A Day In The Life
18. Strawberry Fields Forever
19. Penny Lane
20. Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
21. Audio Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
22. Sgt. Pepper's Audio Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
23. Strawberry Field Forever/ Penny Lane Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
24. Video Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
25. Making of Chapter 1 Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
26. Making of Chapter 2 Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
27. Video Setup Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Disc: 6
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
9. When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Lovely Rita
13. A Day In The Life
15. Penny Lane
16. The Making Of Sgt. Pepper
17. A Day In The Life
18. Strawberry Fields Forever
19. Penny Lane
20. Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
21. Audio Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
22. Sgt. Pepper's Audio Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
23. Strawberry Field Forever/ Penny Lane Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
24. Video Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
25. Making of Chapter 1 Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
26. Making of Chapter 2 Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
27. Video Setup Menu / The Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Also strange, I have this box in my cart on Bull Moose (since yesterday) and today I go there and in red print below my cart it says " Buying is disabled for this product"

How weird is that? Aaaannnd, what does that mean?

From the press release, to kill off any doubts ;)

DVD and Blu-ray:
Audio Features (both discs):
New 5.1 surround sound audio mixes of Sgt Pepper’s and ‘Penny Lane’, plus 2015 5.1 surround sound mix of ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ (Blu-ray: DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, Dolby True HD 5.1; DVD: DTS Dolby Digital 5.1)

High-resolution audio versions of 2017 Sgt Pepper’s stereo mix and 2017 ‘Penny Lane’ stereo mix, plus 2015 ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ hi-res stereo mix (Blu-ray: LPCM Stereo 96KHz/24bit; DVD: LPCM Stereo)

I don't speak anything but English but the interface on Amazon is pretty easy to use whether you're on JP, DE, ES, FR, IT, etc.

I ordered the set from Amazon Italy, with shipping it works out to approximately US$100 or CDN$130 - https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06WGVMLJY

It's EUR 81,06 before shipping after they remove VAT.

Great! Ordered it form Italy now!!!

Much thanks to all of you who are taking a shot a pre-ordering this set. I just listened to parts of 1+ last night. The more I hear it, the more it disappoints me, even in stereo. There are a lot things that just sound wrong with that production besides the lame 5.1 mixes. So I am a "wait and see" on this Pepper set. Looking forward to your reports.

In case anyone's interested, here are the full details of the extra CDs in the box set. Even these discs have me fully salivating, and when you throw in the video extras, this set really has almost everything I could ever want from a "Sgt Pepper" box set. Bring it on, I say! :)

CD2: Outtakes
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Take 1]
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Take 4]
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Take 7]
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Take 26]
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [2015 stereo mix]
‘When I’m Sixty-Four’ [Take 2]
‘Penny Lane’ [Take 6: instrumental]
‘Penny Lane’ [Vocal overdubs and speech]
‘Penny Lane’ [2017 stereo mix]
‘A Day In The Life’ [Take 1]
‘A Day In The Life’ [Take 2]
‘A Day In The Life’ [Orchestra overdub]
‘A Day In The Life (Hummed Last Chord)’ [Takes 8, 9, 10 and 11]
‘A Day In The Life (The Last Chord)’
‘Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ [Take 1: instrumental]
‘Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ [Take 9 and speech]
‘Good Morning Good Morning’ [Take 1: instrumental, breakdown]
‘Good Morning Good Morning’ [Take 8]

CD3: Outtakes
‘Fixing A Hole’ [Take 1]
‘Fixing A Hole’ [Speech and Take 3]
‘Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!’ [Speech from before Take 1; Take 4 and speech at end]
‘Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!’ [Take 7]
‘Lovely Rita’ [Speech and Take 9]
‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ [Take 1 and speech at the end]
‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ [Speech, false start and Take 5]
‘Getting Better’ [Take 1: instrumental and speech at the end]
‘Getting Better’ [Take 12]
‘Within You Without You’ [Take 1: Indian Instruments Only]
‘Within You Without You’ [George coaching the musicians]
‘She’s Leaving Home’ [Take 1: instrumental]
‘She’s Leaving Home’ [Take 6: ynstrumental]
‘With A Little Help From My Friends’ [Take 1: false start; Take 2: instrumental]
‘Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)’ [Speech and Take 8]

CD4: Sgt Pepper’s and bonus tracks in mono
Tracks 1-13: 2017 direct transfer of Sgt Pepper’s original mono mix)
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Original mono mix]
‘Penny Lane’ [Original mono mix]
‘A Day In The Life’ [Unreleased first mono mix]
‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ [Unreleased mono mix: No.11]
‘She’s Leaving Home’ [Unreleased first mono mix]
‘Penny Lane’ [Capitol Records US promo single: mono mix]

The contents of this post and yours below give me great (but cautious) hope for this release:

Just got a response to my tweet to Sam Okell mentioning that 1+ 5.1 was quite reserved and didn't seem to feature many discrete surround elements and would Peppers be more adventurous in surround and he replied with an emphatic "Yes!" so that's encouraging.

The only thing that's not mentioned anywhere (yet) is whether the new stereo and surround mixes are sourced from the pre-bounce recordings. I'm guessing yes, but would like to see it in words. If memory serves, the Rock Band stems were digitally manipulated to achieve the separations. Of courses, if these are the pre-bounce, there is a lot of room for little "errors" to creep in. No doubt, our forensic friends at SH.tv will perform a merciless autopsy and I'll look on with great interest even though I'm not easily bothered by granular issues.

When this was released on CD in 1987, during the "It was twenty years ago today" blitz, this was the album that shifted me away from then-contemporary pop music. It was my introduction to songs not about he/she/I/you/love/leave. It was also when I was introduced to left/right panning. My mother conspired to let me get a small stereo with money from my first job. I saved up and was able to get a pair of Pioneer speakers on layaway. Once paid off I had to agree to plug in just ONE of them and I had to hide it in a cabinet in my bedroom, playing it only during the afternoon and quietly.

That was how I was how I initially experienced Sgt. Pepper. I was fascinated and perplexed that they bothered to write lyrics to songs like When I'm Sixty-Four but make the song largely instrumental with just occasional vocals. This was before I'd ever heard the word "karaoke" but that's what it seemed like in hindsight. Within a month I'd made a cassette copy for my Walkman. I distinctly remember riding my bike down Arcola Ave. on my way to a friend's house, listening on my cheap orange-padded headphones when I first heard that missing channel. I literally swerved, but didn't fall over.

At sixteen, that "twenty years ago today" seemed like an impossibly long time. Thirty years later it's a blip. I rarely listen to the album or The Beatles. It's enough of my musical heartbeat that my appreciation for it is more autonomic than conscious now. I was excited to get the mono CD a few years ago but have barely touched it -- I kind of like it being a mysterious totem I can explore "someday." In 5.1, though, I can't wait to listen to it, repeatedly. Even if it winds up being glorified "big stereo." Even if that's the disappointing case, I expect that this album's newfound spaciousness will allow its baroque textures to breathe so much better than before. Best of all, I can listen in 5.1(/7.1 upmix) at any volume I choose and hear not just that channel I missed that first month, but little details that have been buried ever since.

In case anyone's interested, here are the full details of the extra CDs in the box set. Even these discs have me fully salivating, and when you throw in the video extras, this set really has almost everything I could ever want from a "Sgt Pepper" box set. Bring it on, I say! :)

CD2: Outtakes
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Take 1]
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Take 4]
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Take 7]
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Take 26]
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [2015 stereo mix]
‘When I’m Sixty-Four’ [Take 2]
‘Penny Lane’ [Take 6: instrumental]
‘Penny Lane’ [Vocal overdubs and speech]
‘Penny Lane’ [2017 stereo mix]
‘A Day In The Life’ [Take 1]
‘A Day In The Life’ [Take 2]
‘A Day In The Life’ [Orchestra overdub]
‘A Day In The Life (Hummed Last Chord)’ [Takes 8, 9, 10 and 11]
‘A Day In The Life (The Last Chord)’
‘Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ [Take 1: instrumental]
‘Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ [Take 9 and speech]
‘Good Morning Good Morning’ [Take 1: instrumental, breakdown]
‘Good Morning Good Morning’ [Take 8]

CD3: Outtakes
‘Fixing A Hole’ [Take 1]
‘Fixing A Hole’ [Speech and Take 3]
‘Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!’ [Speech from before Take 1; Take 4 and speech at end]
‘Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!’ [Take 7]
‘Lovely Rita’ [Speech and Take 9]
‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ [Take 1 and speech at the end]
‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ [Speech, false start and Take 5]
‘Getting Better’ [Take 1: instrumental and speech at the end]
‘Getting Better’ [Take 12]
‘Within You Without You’ [Take 1: Indian Instruments Only]
‘Within You Without You’ [George coaching the musicians]
‘She’s Leaving Home’ [Take 1: instrumental]
‘She’s Leaving Home’ [Take 6: ynstrumental]
‘With A Little Help From My Friends’ [Take 1: false start; Take 2: instrumental]
‘Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)’ [Speech and Take 8]

CD4: Sgt Pepper’s and bonus tracks in mono
Tracks 1-13: 2017 direct transfer of Sgt Pepper’s original mono mix)
‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ [Original mono mix]
‘Penny Lane’ [Original mono mix]
‘A Day In The Life’ [Unreleased first mono mix]
‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ [Unreleased mono mix: No.11]
‘She’s Leaving Home’ [Unreleased first mono mix]
‘Penny Lane’ [Capitol Records US promo single: mono mix]

That's enough for me. I'm in. Still cautious, but in. Pre-ordered.

Discs 5 & 6 (Blu-ray and DVD):
New 5.1 surround audio mixes of the album and 'Penny Lane' by Giles Martin and Sam Okell, plus their 2015 5.1 surround mix of 'Strawberry Fields Forever'.
High resolution audio versions of the new stereo mixes of the album and 'Penny Lane' and of the 2015 stereo mix of 'Strawberry Fields Forever'.
Video features: 4K restored original promotional films for 'Strawberry Fields Forever,' 'Penny Lane,' and 'A Day In The Life;' plus The Making of Sgt. Pepper, a restored, previously unreleased documentary film broadcast in 1992, featuring insightful interviews with McCartney, Harrison, and Starr, and in-studio footage introduced by George Martin.

source: MusicVaultz

OK, I pre-ordered from Bullmoose.

Still hoping for a single bluray :)

That won't happen, otherwise they would be rolling out with the other formats at the end of May.
You have to understand, this Blu-Ray does not function like a lot of other Blu-Ray discs do.
The video documentary holds just as much importance on the Blu-Ray & DVD as the 5.1 mix does (well maybe not to most of you, but to Beatles fans, yes)
It's a disc that is not designed to be sold separately but to be sold as a visual (and high-res audio) complement to the CDs in the box set, which is the real focus for most Beatles fans (especially the 2CDs with session tracks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back