Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch... now $189 = $215 w tax at Amazon.ca

What was the Amazon.ca price earlier today?

58.94, so 66.01 with tax.
I ordered it but would they actually honor that price, guess that would be amazing. I think alot of people ordered as people at SHF were mentioning it and seems many people put a order in.

58.94, so 66.01 with tax.
I ordered it but would they actually honor that price, guess that would be amazing. I think alot of people ordered as people at SHF were mentioning it and seems many people put a order in.

Enough people ordered it that it made the top sellers list before they pulled it, even though it wasn't even listed as The Beatles.

Not sure whether they will honor it or not, but I ordered 2.

I've ordered 3 box sets that were listed low in error, 2 of the Genesis cd/dvd with surround box sets, and the Pink Floyd Oh By The Way box set. I seem to recall all 3 being ridiculously low, priced at the price of a single disc. I did receive the Genesis sets for the ridiculously low price, but the Pink Floyd set was quietly cancelled without reason, I had to call for them to give an explanation that it was a pricing error and their policies dictate they don't have to honor it if it's in error, or something like that.

So, with my experience, that makes it a 2 in 3 chance the orders will be honored. On the other hand.....I'm not so sure they're going to want to take the hit, after all, it's quite a big price drop, and quite a large amount of orders that were placed before it was caught.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see. I hope they honor it, I'm not sure I want to spend over $100 for a set that doesn't include Carnival of Light.

I will be pre-ordering the 6 disc uber deluxe edition and delaying retirement a month or so as a result but it will be worth it. Can't wait to hear the 5.1 and fingers are crossed it will be great. I concluded long ago that the Beatles recordings sound best on speakers that are, at best, mediocre. They were probably mixing and mastering to what they thought was most representative of the tech their audience possessed. Today, listening to the USB stick versions on really good speakers, the seams show a little. I thought the 1+ blu ray versions were decent too. I didn't like the handshake issues when playing in order, but those became less noticeable when I discovered and used the jukebox function, and those terrible "title cards" went away as well.

Well, the samples of the stereo remix leave me dismayed. For me the remix simply isn't in keeping with the era in which the music was recorded.

I hope and pray that the 5.1 mix is rather better.

Well, the samples of the stereo remix leave me dismayed. For me the remix simply isn't in keeping with the era in which the music was recorded.

I hope and pray that the 5.1 mix is rather better.

Are you referring to the audio in the video ad?

If so, it will be entirely unrepresentative of the real thing, because of compression, etc.

If not, where did you hear them?

I won't be ordering until I see a few '10s' in the QQ poll.

One place I won't be ordering it from is our own JB HiFi. AU$335.00 for the deluxe box set!

JB......you've screwed us again

I'll be hoping for a good price overseas for this one as I did for the Pink Floyd box. That was (at one stage) AU$850 until it reduced to AU$785 (still ridiculous)

Are you referring to the audio in the video ad?

If so, it will be entirely unrepresentative of the real thing, because of compression, etc.

If not, where did you hear them?

Yes, the video on Youtube.

As you say, the sound quality will be different in the real thing. But it's the mix that leaves me underwhelmed.

I think if we heard it we probably wouldn't want to spend $100 to get it.....Carnival of Light got vetoed from anthology when things like Mary Jane , You know my name and 12 Bar original got included instead.

Don't forget the wonderful Beatles out-take "If you've got trouble" ;). Yeah I agree on Mary Jane, god awful....:yikes

Well its listed on amazon.co.uk at £140.99. SpinCDs are offering it at £99.99 but I'm having a great deal of problems with them, paying for stuff that hasn't arrived, no matter what is promised.

So I'm hoping our friends at Burning Shed are going to sell it, I've asked them.

So I asked Burning Shed and,

Hi Duncan

Thanks for your email.

Yes indeed, we’re going to be selling various formats - they’ll be on tonight’s newsletter...

Thanks,

Pete

So that's who I'll be buying my copy from!

So I asked Burning Shed and,

Hi Duncan

Thanks for your email.

Yes indeed, we’re going to be selling various formats - they’ll be on tonight’s newsletter...

Thanks,

Pete

So that's who I'll be buying my copy from!

Amazon uk price dropped to 110 Pounds from 140 Pounds for the big box set.
I put in an order there in the hope it drops more. After the tax etc it was 99 Pounds to Australia.

I like everything that has been done in 5.1 for the Beatles. Love was really adventurous, while 1+ was pretty conservative. That said, I hope that Pepper is someplace in the middle, and predict it will be.

Have to remember that Macca and Richey are still in the decision making tree.

On The Beatles and solo its been very hit and miss
Ringos 5.1 Collection of a few years ago was quite good.
Maccas DVD collection Good
Lennons DVD collection Good
'Love' Good
Yellow Sub Not bad
Magical Mystery Tour Not Good
1+ Not so Good

I think if we heard it we probably wouldn't want to spend $100 to get it.....Carnival of Light got vetoed from anthology when things like Mary Jane , You know my name and 12 Bar original got included instead.

Keep in mind, I like to listen to things made by the equipment I'm posing in front of in my profile pic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0V5YVjjwIw

And what was wrong with Mary Jane? I rather liked it. I think the white album would have been better if they included that and Not Guilty in place of Revolution No. 9. Which, despite comparisons made, based on descriptions I don't think Carnival of Light is going to be like Revolution No. 9 at all, except that they're both "weird"....whatever that means...

Meanwhile, we have this leaked version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAqVO9oKypM

My wish has come true, I have canceled my Amazon order and have now ordered the CDJapan, SHM CD version. I had the Black stereo Beatles box set, then CDJapan did a sell out of cardboard mini LP's of the stereo versions of The Beatles Catalog which I bought all. The SHM CD versions where an absolute noticeable improvement. I was hoping that they would offer Sgt Peppers in SHM CD and they have. More expensive than Amazon by $20.00 but I am convinced sight unseen will be better.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-78342

Back