OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised there isn't more gnashing of teeth, wearing of sack cloth & ashes and general malaise over the news here.
After all this is the surround sound capitol of the Internet. No?

SHF is already 26 pages deep and half of their members think surround is a "gimmick".
Then again you can easily get 100 pages there on the subject of Ringo's rings ;)

I'm surprised there isn't more gnashing of teeth, wearing of sack cloth & ashes and general malaise over the news here.

SHF is already 26 pages deep and half of their members think surround is a "gimmick".
Then again you can easily get 100 pages there on the subject of Ringo's rings ;)
I think to listen to music in surround more than casually, you need to accept that disappointment is the predominant theme and instead focus on the positives and gains. Otherwise it's kind of a litany of disappointments.

Heeyyy! I'm a long time member over there so be nice.;)
Actually I can't disagree with your above statement. :LOL:

Did I already say that I'd be fine owning an Oppo that no longer works as a disc spinner - so long as the M/C DAC works from files and server input.

As expensive as Oppos seemed to be, it was my entrance into the modern world of universal surround formats. Nobody has done M/C DACs as a lesser price.

Personally, I was SHOCKED and DISMAYED by the news and realized that their OPPO UHD 205 will be their very last hardware STATEMENT as pertains to Universal multichannel playback of physical discs and UHD 4K playback [NO 8K, that's for sure].

I just hope Oppo's announcement won't affect future 4.0/5.1/7.1 releases as OPPO was very dominant in the audio/video industry and won many accolades yearly for their stellar products.

Will get some money back as I paid too much tax last year:cool:.Ordered a UDP 203 last night.Have a 105D and will use that for all MC music on SACD, DVD-A and BDA.The 203 will then serve as movie player for BD and UHD.Luckily my Parasound Halo P7 has two 7.1 inputs.(y)

Last edited:
I’m so sad I just pulled the trigger :cry: I’ve been so happy with my BDP-95!

What a coincidence, some months ago I’ve been working in my 5.1.2 set up without an DAtmos capable player. Now, I’m waiting for FedEx to deliver it: the 203. Not having my collection in digital files, now the 95 will be my physical media backup player as well as my HDCDs and multi region DVDs/Blurays player.

I should be preparing myself to backup all of my music in hi-res digital format... I’ve been refusing to do so!!!

Bittersweet farewell! :LB:hi

Did I already say that I'd be fine owning an Oppo that no longer works as a disc spinner - so long as the M/C DAC works from files and server input.

As expensive as Oppos seemed to be, it was my entrance into the modern world of universal surround formats. Nobody has done M/C DACs as a lesser price.

The Oppo 100 and 200 series players are a good entry into the world of Multichannel DACs.

And the exaSound e38 is a fine one to check out when you are ready to step up to the next level of features and audio quality.
Followed by the Merging Technologies NADAC MC-8 and NADAC + Player PL 8 after that.... :)

I'm disappointed about it, but I made a pragmatic decision and ordered a upd 203. My bdp 95 will now be a 'spare'. Pity I did not get the 103/5 for the sacd backup ability. :cry:

Sadly music is regarded as a commodity, so sound quality doesn't matter, convenience above all else, just look at the number of cheap Bluetooth speakers available. When a company like Spotify can float for 26 billion dollars and make more money than the musicians etc. (which is madness in my view), and all they offer is a streaming service for a price, no creativity in what they do at all, they sell somebody else's. Easy money for Spotify. Then hardware companies like Oppo can't compete either, they can't get the return on investment, as the average punter doesn't want a disc player, and investors head to the latest hyped-up so called technology company instead. Almost fell off my soapbox ranting away there!

Now I feel a bit bad for finding both my BDP-83 and BDP-103 used, as that didn't help OPPO at all.
Except if the seller rolled that money forward in to a new OPPO.

Anyway, maybe it is just OPPO's business model that failed, not the disc player industry en masse. Perhaps another company, like Sony will take the mantle for a while.

If only someone who owned one of these players hadn't been shot down in flames by people here the last time they offered details on what the UHP H1 does or doesn't do, then you'd be getting this information either confirmed or denied.
I sent my question to Sony, since I can’t figure it out reading the manual and specs. Guess what they replied, a link to the manuals and specs...

This is really sad news. I probably should order a 203 just for protection, although it will take a bite out of my 2019 RDX savings pile!

I am afraid that more news like this will be the norm. Disc players will become oddities that are like turntables today. No one really needs one, but they'll be "nice to have". In looking back it all really happened fairly fast. CD -> LaserDisc -> DVD -> DVD-A/SACD -> BluRay(HD-DVD) and now we have streaming and file playing, licensing and subscription. Obsolete formats loved by the few, laughed at by the many. "You still have CDs???" :eek:

I do, and I have all of the others. Oh well, I'm old. :SG

Are you planning to buy the 2019 RDX? I thought this vehicle was not playing surround anymore.....

I sent my question to Sony, since I can’t figure it out reading the manual and specs. Guess what they replied, a link to the manuals and specs...
Same thing happened to me regarding a receiver. I specifically told them that the information I was requesting was not listed in the manual... [emoji849]

Back