Guns N‘ Roses - Appetite For Destruction Locked N’ Loaded Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Amazon UK have this at £170 ($230). As a result have pre-ordered from Amazon US for $177 (about £130) including expedited delivery and import tax. Seems completely mad to me. I could not bring myself to pay £130 for Roxy Music but this box appears to provide more for the money - and it's G'n'R! It has still taken three days of consideration, confirmation of an Elliot Scheiner mix and a price drop to make me go for it though. Whereas with Dutton Vocalion's latest releases.....about a nanosecond!
I ordered it from the aus website for AUD 270 (including shipping) - would have cost the same from amazon once exchange rate and shipping factored in. A standalone blu ray for AUD 50 would have been great.

Personally I feel that UMe mishandled the HFPA initiative by relying too heavily on previously released content, which the target market likely had in the DVD-A or SACD format. For 2.0 only releases, they competed against lossless downloads from HDtracks and others. If you see the cutouts that went to China and are sold on eBay inexpensively, it probably supports this argument.

Quadraphenia appears to have sold well as you can’t find the HFPA at a reasonable price. I wonder if the HFPA standalone discs of Reckless and Songs From The Big Chair sold well in comparison to the larger deluxe edition releases?

You are right that several missteps were made:
-releasing certain titles on BDA without 5.1 mixes where one already existed ("Layla", etc.)
-only releasing certain newer 5.1 titles only on DVD-V and not BDA too ("In the Land of Grey & Pink", Mike Oldfield titles, "Roxy Music", Steve Hackett titles, etc.)
-only releasing 5.1 BDAs in more expensive box sets (Steven Wilson "Farewell to Kings" mix, "Pet Sounds", "Idlewild South", Soundgarden titles, etc.)
-not reissuing certain popular DVDA/SACD titles on BDA ("Eat A Peach", "Boys & Girls", "Avalon", "Crowded House", "Brand New Day", "Gaucho", "Slowhand", Elton John titles, etc.)

If Universal would have done more to alleviate these missteps, then maybe things would be different, but as of right now, Blu-Ray audio discs are basically a box set item as the major labels see it.

You are right that several missteps were made:
-releasing certain titles on BDA without 5.1 mixes where one already existed ("Layla", etc.)
-only releasing certain newer 5.1 titles only on DVD-V and not BDA too ("In the Land of Grey & Pink", Mike Oldfield titles, "Roxy Music", Steve Hackett titles, etc.)
-only releasing 5.1 BDAs in more expensive box sets (Steven Wilson "Farewell to Kings" mix, "Pet Sounds", "Idlewild South", Soundgarden titles, etc.)
-not reissuing certain popular DVDA/SACD titles on BDA ("Eat A Peach", "Boys & Girls", "Avalon", "Crowded House", "Brand New Day", "Gaucho", "Slowhand", Elton John titles, etc.)

If Universal would have done more to alleviate these missteps, then maybe things would be different, but as of right now, Blu-Ray audio discs are basically a box set item as the major labels see it.

And MOST insidiously, IMO, releasing 5.1 remasters especially commissioned for the album at hand [which is usually the highlight of the box set] and encoding it in lossy DTS/DD 5.1 and then presenting us with a brilliant 96/24 LOSSLESS stereo remaster. The new Fish Out Of Water box has the NEWLY COMMISSIONED remix in LOSSY DTS/DD 5.1 and then presents us with two [count 'em] 96/24 LOSSLESS Stereo remasters [the original and a remix].

An Absolutely infuriating HEAD SCRATCHER, especially considering if they utilized LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1 it wouldn't incur any royalty payments whatsoever!

Last edited:
Foraging Rhino, perhaps you can shed some light on why after Warner/Rhino's association with Audio Fidelity's QUAD reissue program ended, W/R ceased licensing any of their EXISTING QUAD masters to any other REISSUE companies?

As you are aware, Dutton~Vocalion in Watford, England is issuing some spectacular QUAD SACD reissues from SONY, Universal [to a lesser extent] and would it be feasible to use that company as a conduit for releasing future Rhino/Warner QUAD reissues?

Foraging Rhino is probably not at liberty to discuss business matters "on the internet". We are very lucky that he has decided to join QQ and post here from time to time. I am very worried that something will happen akin to what happened with 'Jimby' from Universal, whereas over zealous members will funnel their "enthusiasm" in such a way that he becomes alienated.

We have to figure that he is pro-surround, his work on the Quadio Box Set seems to prove this, and that he would probably love to see many more quad and 5.1 projects green lighted, but he is an employee of a very large corporation and what he would like to see is not necessarily what the corporation considers profitable. We are a niche of a niche market and there's nothing wrong with that, but, and this is not the case with 4-earredwonder's post that quoted above, I would hope that all members treat Steve with respect and not dump on him when things do not go the way you, me, or the rest of us would like it to go.

I am sure he knows we'd all buy most of whatever he managed to get released, but even if we ALL bought a specific title, our effort at QQ would probably be far less than 500 units, and that's not going to get it done without promotion, which is not only expensive, but in this market, an unsure investment. (D-V is an outlier, and we're happy that they are!)

So please, let's not pull another 'Jimby' deal here, OK? And now, back to the "Guns and Roses" High Priced Box Set with the alleged 5.1 Elliot Scheiner mix!!

Foraging Rhino is probably not at liberty to discuss business matters "on the internet". We are very lucky that he has decided to join QQ and post here from time to time. I am very worried that something will happen akin to what happened with 'Jimby' from Universal, whereas over zealous members will funnel their "enthusiasm" in such a way that he becomes alienated.

We have to figure that he is pro-surround, his work on the Quadio Box Set seems to prove this, and that he would probably love to see many more quad and 5.1 projects green lighted, but he is an employee of a very large corporation and what he would like to see is not necessarily what the corporation considers profitable. We are a niche of a niche market and there's nothing wrong with that, but, and this is not the case with 4-earredwonder's post that quoted above, I would hope that all members treat Steve with respect and not dump on him when things do not go the way you, me, or the rest of us would like it to go.

I am sure he knows we'd all buy most of whatever he managed to get released, but even if we ALL bought a specific title, our effort at QQ would probably be far less than 500 units, and that's not going to get it done without promotion, which is not only expensive, but in this market, an unsure investment. (D-V is an outlier, and we're happy that they are!)

So please, let's not pull another 'Jimby' deal here, OK? And now, back to the "Guns and Roses" High Priced Box Set with the alleged 5.1 Elliot Scheiner mix!!

Thank you for saying that...aside from the "Jimby" incident...some misguided souls...in the past...have taken to Steven Wilson's media page and questioned the cost of a box set when he was merely an employee working on someone else's music...I'm sure the intentions were good...but if you are Steven Wilson and have sacrificed a lot to get where he is and then be questioned about something he has no control over...it has to be difficult to hear...and making someone uncomfortable on here isn't something we want...

One more point before we get back to [as Jon puts it] the "Guns and Roses" High Priced Box set with the alleged 5.1 Elliot Scheiner mix [and if it AIN'T an ES 5.1 remix SOMEONE's GOING TO GET A SHINER], it would be in the interest of all at QQ forum if we could establish liaisons with some of the major record companies [in particular Warners/Universal] regarding their extant/unreleased QUAD/5.1 remixes to enquire what, if anything, they do intend to do with these 'treasures.'

We, as a bona fide record buying public, do deserve some answers and probably could've been instrumental in guiding/steering some of these decision~making CEO's, most especially those concerned with Universal's failed BD~A launch, what they could've/should've accomplished to ensure these 'launches' some modicum of success.....rather than the abject failure it WAS!

Since Dutton Vocalion's Michael Dutton appears to have a fabulous rapport with SONY and it's many associated labels regarding QUAD reissues, special attention should be directed to Universal and Warner/Rhino, the latter, of which, probably already know what WE [QQers] want and with the upcoming Doobies Quadio set [and Chicago already in the can] are steps in the right direction.....but even they could do better.

If, it's Universal's intent [as one QQ poster surmised] that ALL of their future 5.1 reissues will ONLY be part of big, pricey box sets with NO chance of stand alone BD~A releases, it seems incredulous that no one can steer them in a more viable direction and that there is no one at Universal who's in the least bit interested in hearing what a 10K strong website dedicated to Surround Sound 'remotely' wants.

Talk about a bad [or, ill~advised] business model! ANY SUGGESTIONS [or contacts]?

Count me as one of the people who's happy this mix exists and is being released at all, despite the release configuration.

This is kind of huge for 2018: an iconic hard rock album getting the surround treatment from an iconic engineer.

The last SDE I ordered was Fleetwood Mac, and though this album isn't quite an all-time favorite like that one, I do love the hits and I've gotta get my hands on this. The around $130 asking price on ImportCDs isn't outrageous IMO.

The opening of "Welcome To The Jungle" is practically made for 5.1...

When I placed in cart, it plopped on a good amount of tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, Gos 3.0: is this [really] the fourth order you've placed for A for D? Better print out all those receipts so you can cancel them as the best price rears its pretty little head nearest to the release date!

For me, the BEST price remains Import CD [NO sales tax & minimal shipping] but I'm still holding out for the possibility of a 10% off sale .......... TAKE NO PRISONERS!:ROFLMAO:https://www.importcds.com/appetite-for-destruction/602567523758

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...D05BF38200887FFA6896D05BF3820088&&FORM=VDRVRV

http://cdn.ppcorn.com/us/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2016/01/axl-rose-ppcorn-2016.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, Gos 3.0: is this [really] the fourth order you've placed for A for D? Better print out all those receipts so you can cancel them as the best price rears its pretty little head nearest to the release date!

For me, the BEST price remains Import CD [NO sales tax & minimal shipping] but I'm still holding out for the possibility of a 10% off sale .......... TAKE NO PRISONERS!:ROFLMAO:https://www.importcds.com/appetite-for-destruction/602567523758

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...D05BF38200887FFA6896D05BF3820088&&FORM=VDRVRV

http://cdn.ppcorn.com/us/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2016/01/axl-rose-ppcorn-2016.jpg
LMAO! No, I only put it in my cart to see what the final price would be......I didn't place the order. Yes, Import CD is best price at the moment...but I'll likely keep my Amazon order since I have Prime. :)

Weird. No sales tax to Texas. However if I was to purchase this set, it would be through Amazon. They are much more responsive to damage issues and returns. This is going to be tough to resist!
You know you can't resist......rock and roll my man......and it's Elliot on the knobs...woo - hoo!!! I'm feeling pretty good about this one honestly.

Back