'The Beatles' - The White Album Listening Thread - Your thoughts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is 55071 - Amazon US

White Album 1.jpg

Absolutely love the DTS mix. Revolution 9 is a absolute trip. Other standout tracks for me were Martha My Dear (for the strings in the rear), Long Long Long (especially the end) and Me and my Monkey for the punch-in-the-face guitars.
My number is 37177, but who has the lowest number on QQ????
Correction. Mine is 31177. It was from the Beatles store uk.

The White Album is that one, if I had to choose ONLY one...
I got this the day after Thanksgiving 1968 when my Dad drove us to the Erdman shopping center, they had a record store in the corner and I didn't even know the album was out. Stone cold Beatlemaniac that I was as an 8 year old, (I joined the fan club that year with the insert from Lady Madonna) as I see this display I can't believe my eyes. It cost $10.94 which was quite pricy in those days and I wasn't the only kid in the family. I begged my dad to get it for me. I could see it was a budget buster but he got it for me anyway.

I lived not a full mile from the store and on the way home I had to tear it open, open the poster in the front seat, scatter pics and vinyl all over the place...it was hilarious. Made a beeline for the phonograph and went to another world, which I visited countless times since. I felt like I saw the future when I heard it. I still feel it was a visionary and often disturbing work of art that articulated human experience.

It changed my life.
50 years later. Thank you Dad.

One minor glitch: If I skip to another track it chops a bit off the beginning. Probably less than a second. Not a major deal but an annoyance.

Anyone else observed this? (Oppo 103)
I would never skip through tracks on the White Album. It’s always worked best as an album for me.

So sorry, I can’t help you out on this question. :).

guess that was for the other thread, lol.
copy 62300.
pleased with the surround mix, just a superb package all round and I'm diving in deeply.

Mine is 6337. From Amazon.

Did they really press up 62,000 copies of this? I guess it might sell that well. I really have no idea how these big expensive sets sell.

Hopefully that means a lot of people trying out surround mixes that might have otherwise!!

Last edited:
My # is Beachwood 4-5789, er, make that 1879. Linda is a PRIME AMAZONIAN.

This and Eelectric Ladyland showed up early yesterday. I've listened to 5.1 and 3 1/2 CD's of unreleased stuff.

I bought the UK mono LP box and Japan mono CD box when they came out. I'm curious to hear the mono fidelity here. As you likely know, much is different in WA mono. What? No "blisters on my fingers?!?"

The UK LP mono box has mono Abbey Road and Let It Be, albeit "foldover" mixes from stereo. The Japan mono CD box eliminates those two. I believe that WA was their last album actually mixed in mono.

I've heard perhaps over 1000 Beatles' outtakes. There are many here that I've not heard before, as with Anthology.

A few random thoughts on the music and package:
Lennon was pushing for What's the New Maryjane b/w You Know My Name as a single. Fortunately, more rational heads prevailed.

Ringo briefly left the Beatles during the making of WA.

I love the disc labels. The demo discs have the same labels as internal Apple demo vinyl. Kewl!

I also loved the little white sleeves with the same font as the original LP's.

In defense of the mixing, a Pepper comparison isn't fair. IMHO, this album was much easier to mix and/or remix than Pepper. I cringe at the idea of (re)mixing Miles Ahead or Pepper for even 1 channel. Cutting, pasting, track reductions, etc. etc.

I didn't know what a Savoy Truffle is until many years later. Of course, it's one variety in a box of Good News candy. Brits, especially Dentists really dig this track.

When they run out of other stuff to release, they can do a box set with all 100 + takes of Not Guilty.

Many splindid times guaranteed for all!

......I didn't know what a Savoy Truffle is until many years later. Of course, it's one variety in a box of Good News candy. Brits, especially Dentists really dig this track.

One thing both my wife and I noticed listening to the 5.1 mix in the car today. The words to "Savoy Truffle" are clearer than they've ever been. I could understand every lyric, and I don't think I have ever had that experience before.

goodnews.jpg

Creme tangerine and montelimat
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee desert - yes you know its good news
But you'll have to have them all pulled out after the Savoy truffle

Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart
I feel your taste all the time we're apart
Coconut fudge - really blows down those blues

You might not feel it now
But when the pain cuts through you're gonna know and how
The sweat is gonna fill your head
When it becomes too much you shout aloud

You know that what you eat you are
But what is sweet now turns so sour
We all know Obladi-Blada
But can you show me where you are?

Creme tangerine and montelimat
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee desert - yes you know its good news

Yes you'll have to have them all pulled out after the Savoy truffle

I don't know if this has been mentioned...but this might be Giles swan song of Beatle titles
I like this part:
"In June 2018, Martin was appointed by INXS as executive music director across all future projects by the band and their Petrol Records.
These include a documentary, live theatre show and the group’s repackaged, remixed and expanded studio albums, which are set to be released via Universal Music Group in partnership with Petrol Records."

Maybe some more INXS in surround?

I like this part:
"In June 2018, Martin was appointed by INXS as executive music director across all future projects by the band and their Petrol Records.
These include a documentary, live theatre show and the group’s repackaged, remixed and expanded studio albums, which are set to be released via Universal Music Group in partnership with Petrol Records."

Maybe some more INXS in surround?
Not really seeing where any of that indicates this will be his last Beatles project?

Back