'The Beatles' - The White Album Listening Thread - Your thoughts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a difficult problem. One always has to be mindful that the thing that drives one to distraction might well be someone else's all time favourite. It can be tricky getting the phraseology such that it conveys one's point of view without upsetting the other.

It would be nice if there was a separate thread for the technical approach to these mega sets...this way the wave form crowd could discuss their theories and adjustments in a separate thread...that way posters like me wouldn't have to wade thru all this stuff to just see some of the members comments that measure success or failure by how it actually sounds...that way the "honeymoon" for some of us could last more than just 1 day:D

Paul Michael, I think you need a beautiful butterfly in your life

IMG_2013.JPG
That's nice, but can we get another girl with a hi-fi?

I've given this disc the same honour as Jimi's, I've had both on loop for a day.
I really thought that Jimi's would take precedence over this one.
But ...and its a big but for me, being a Hendrix fan.
Giles has really pushed the boat out here.
Every play throws up some little element which is quite magical.

I wondered if Imagine could be beaten on a box set presentation.
I wouldn't go so far as that but deff on a par.
Just need to see if someone can be persuaded
To get George's masterpiece sorted.
To complete the full set
Soz Ringo I know you have your surround disc already.

And out of Jimi's and the Beatles who do I prefer?
Well my fellow QQ'rs
Jimi just shaded it for me.

I've given this disc the same honour as Jimi's, I've had both on loop for a day.
I really thought that Jimi's would take precedence over this one.
But ...and its a big but for me, being a Hendrix fan.
Giles has really pushed the boat out here.
Every play throws up some little element which is quite magical.

I wondered if Imagine could be beaten on a box set presentation.
I wouldn't go so far as that but deff on a par.
Just need to see if someone can be persuaded
To get George's masterpiece sorted.
To complete the full set
Soz Ringo I know you have your surround disc already.

And out of Jimi's and the Beatles who do I prefer?
Well my fellow QQ'rs
Jimi just shaded it for me.

Not likely to get anything remotely like this with All Things Must Pass, Phil printed a lot of echo directly to multi tracks from what I understand, so it could never be removed.

does anyone else notice differences between dts and dolby versions?
LOL - I didn't even listen.....to Dolby I mean.
It would be nice if there was a separate thread for the technical approach to these mega sets...this way the wave form crowd could discuss their theories and adjustments in a separate thread...that way posters like me wouldn't have to wade thru all this stuff to just see some of the members comments that measure success or failure by how it actually sounds...that way the "honeymoon" for some of us could last more than just 1 day:D

Oh well. Yeah. I also get weary of all the nit-picking....but I don't really care I guess. I love the title and certainly won't be changing my opinion of it. :)
Anyway, I'm still a bit giddy from seeing REO last night. They were spectacular.

LOL - I didn't even listen.....to Dolby I mean.

Oh well. Yeah. I also get weary of all the nit-picking....but I don't really care I guess. I love the title and certainly won't be changing my opinion of it. :)
Anyway, I'm still a bit giddy from seeing REO last night. They were spectacular.

Presume Neal is as solid as ever...always liked a bit of R.E.O, from the very early 70's

Last edited:
I listened to the 5.1 mixes of both this and Sgt. Peppers. I started out with SPLHCB first. I was waiting to see if anyone would say anything first but I find the sound of both releases to have a fatigued hardness sound. Some songs are slightly better than others and I find TWA to be better, overall.

Excellent mixes on TWA in comparison to Sgt. Peppers. The latter sounds more like an expanded stereo presentation with few discrete elements. The former is quite different in its presentation with quite a bit discrete moments happening with what seems like a larger soundstage.

I only made it up to the middle of Revolution #1 when I got bored and wanted to open and play my Porcupine Tree BD of Arriving Somewhere...

I've really been enjoying the book, Esher demos, and session tapes. I hadn't realized what an impact Chris Thomas had on the album. As far as I can tell, While my guitar gently weeps, Helter Skelter, Glass Onion, I Will, Birthday, Piggies, Happiness is a warm gun, and Savoy Truffle were all done with Chris when George Martin was on holiday, or not present. The first and last are debatable. For Glass Onion and Piggies, Martin did add orchestration after returning.
Also interesting, all of Martha My Dear was done in one day (just after Martin returned). Oct 4.
I'm So Tired and Bungalow Bill were both finished from scratch in the same session. Oct 8.
"Circles" on the Esher disc is my current favorite. :smokin

Don't get me wrong, there are some spots that can be improved, but overall this is a shining light for me.

Think back to 2003 when QQ (This phase) started. DVD-A and SACD were still real retail products, CD racks filled retail, Best Buy, Circuit City, Media Play, even Record World and Sam Goody's had 5.1 sections. Stuff was trickling out but rumors were running wild if we'd ever get the big guns, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc out in 5.1, and on what format. Many threads here in QQ about why they would be DVD-A or SACD, or when they were coming.

Well, all of that howling 15 years ago, and now, this month, we get the real thing. You know there will be those who hate it for one reason or another, heck, some folks HATE "Love" and won't even acknowledge it. Their loss.

You can nit pick, you can modify, you can dislike, you can not buy (it is expensive), but the fact is that we now have THE FREAKING WHITE ABLUM in official 5.1 to listen to or futz with as we like.

We did not have that in 2003. or 2004, or 2005, .......

Party on Garth!

Just finished listening to the white album right after listening to Electric Ladyland. What a contrast. I had my senses bombarded by Jimi and had the Beatles make me smile from beginning to end. I like when I close my eyes to feel the music surround me and actually both did but for different reasons. I needed to mellow out after EL and the White Album took me on a Magical Mystery Tour pardon the pun. Loved it!!!

I'm glad others are noting a fatiguing harshness to the sound, similar to that heard in "Pepper." Not because I'm glad that it's there, but because I know it's not just the effect of my $99 5.1 speaker system. I'll note that Steven Wilson's stuff sounds great on these same speakers. But yes, to echo what others have said, the mix is great (on what I've heard so far), the extras are bountiful, and we Beatle fans lucky to have all of this to feast on.

Oh, and number 36433 from Deep Discount.

Last edited:
You can nit pick, you can modify, you can dislike, you can not buy (it is expensive), but the fact is that we now have THE FREAKING WHITE ABLUM in official 5.1 to listen to or futz with as we like.
QUOTE]

I'm still immersing myself into this Blu-Ray, no tweaks just listening to an official release of another iconic album by the greatest band ever. Regardless it will be the best of The White Album ever and I for one wouldn't mind if it was in any of the previous Surround formats, very late in coming, and happy to finally have it on Hi-Res Blu-Ray. I will thank all involved in getting this to the fans, including Paul, Ringo, Yoko, EMI, Apple, Giles, etc.
I'll vote possibly later, or not, it really doesn't matter how I feel about it. Just give it a listen and you be the judge. You definitely need to get this one.

Never, ever thought there would be a day when this album was released in surround.

It will be an expensive 5.1 title for me , but because it's such an iconic album (Can't think of another more so ) I will enjoy it a immensely with no regrets.
Gotta thank the reviews from qq'ers ( such as Gos ) who make this a very worthwhile purchase.
It goes without saying that we All owe a HUGE thankyou to Giles and all at The Beatles camp.

Their support of classic surround titles is most appreciated.

Back