'The Beatles' - The White Album Listening Thread - Your thoughts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you mean? Is He done with The Beatles??? Maybe Steven Wilson will mix Abbey Road :LB

or they could approach Mr.Scheiner, now he's back on the surround scene... but then maybe he'd just tell them where to go, like they turned him down all those years ago when he offered to mix it in 5.1.. :ROFLMAO:

What effect did that have?

Julia fascinated me. One of my favourite songs on the album. Originally a bit of an intimate love song. I was expecting it to be virtually mono with fake ambiance.
Instead it's been turned into something large and room filling. I'm not criticising it, just a bit surprised.

Regarding your question on boosting surrounds by 3dB but lowering overall volume by 5dB on Julia: For me it brings the music a bit further out into the room as I feet that Julia has a bit of a "flat" soundstage compared to the preceding song, I Will. Note that I prefer I Will with the surrounds boosted by +2dB, which probably contributes to my perception of a flat soundstage on Julia. I just went downstairs and auditioned those two tracks back-to-back and I like what I have done including the overall -2dB treble cut. These are personal preferences and others will feel differently. Of course, I have kept the unaltered files backed up on the hard drive as well.

In some ways, my discovering how to use Audacity during the last couple of weeks was like releasing the Kraken...now I'm obsessed with tinkering with everything. By the way, anyone know how to fix Gin Blossoms A New Miserable Experience in Audacity...particularly the hot high end? :devilish:

I finished listening to the 5.1 Mix. The biggest stand out track for me is Helter Skelter. I can crank this sucker and it’s so clear. I can hear complete separation of everything that’s going on. In contrast, and in the past when listening to the mono and stereo versions, I want to turn the volume down because it’s such a loud mess.

I’m presently listening to the Esher Demos. It reminds me of and sounds like The Beach Boys Party.

LOL - I didn't even listen.....to Dolby I mean.

Oh well. Yeah. I also get weary of all the nit-picking....but I don't really care I guess. I love the title and certainly won't be changing my opinion of it. :)
Anyway, I'm still a bit giddy from seeing REO last night. They were spectacular.

Thank God , me and Gos are of similar minds, otherwise I would have to enroll in audio listening, wave length school. Van Morrison did a tune called Wavelength it is a good tune. :)

Jon, feel free to delete this post if deemed too OT.
My biggest frustration right with the WA50th is that I can't listen to it!!!!!!
Amazon.jp hasn't even shipped yet. WTF!?!?

EDIT: Just got shipping notice. Says it will be here Tuesday!?! :)

Question for Jon, didn't there used to be a member profile page where you could list your gear?

Last edited:

Question for Jon, didn't there used to be a member profile page where you could list your gear?

I dig it man, my CDJapan has been in shipping process since Thursday, it will get here probably by Thursday, I hope.
Type Show Us Your Gear in the search box, it will come up.

This question is for the audio engineer guys but it IS related to The White Album (please bare with me, non-waveform folks, lol): On an album like this that sounds a bit "loud", if you look at the waveforms, the amplitudes are as high as possible without being cut-off (mostly). If you simply turn down the volume 4db while listening, do you achieve the same effect as using the "amplify" feature in Audacity to lower the amplitudes of the waves 4dB? To my ears, using the amplify method sounds better than just turning down the volume, but I just want to know if it's my imagination.

Yes, there was. However, it no longer seems to be here. Time to investigate!

or they could approach Mr.Scheiner, now he's back on the surround scene... but then maybe he'd just tell them where to go, like they turned him down all those years ago when he offered to mix it in 5.1.. :ROFLMAO:

Since it's always been one of Scheiner's ultimate dreams ...... let's be a bit more optimistic, Adam. But I do find it hard to believe Giles is out of the picture altogether and has switched allegiances to INXS. I can only imagine the work involved with dealing with these [sacred] Beatles' remixes/remasters. A tremendous amount of pressure and expectations and who knows how much input the remaining Beatles [Paul/Ringo] and their families [Yoko/Olivia] have in deciding the final outcome. A Beastly Burden!

This question is for the audio engineer guys but it IS related to The White Album (please bare with me, non-waveform folks, lol): On an album like this that sounds a bit "loud", if you look at the waveforms, the amplitudes are as high as possible without being cut-off (mostly). If you simply turn down the volume 4db while listening, do you achieve the same effect as using the "amplify" feature in Audacity to lower the amplitudes of the waves 4dB? To my ears, using the amplify method sounds better than just turning down the volume, but I just want to know if it's my imagination.

You lose a (digital) bit of resolution for every 6db you attenuate digitally. So if all things were equal, lowering the volume on your analog monitor system should sound better than digitally lowering the level of the file. Only 4db though? If you can hear a difference... something odd is going on in your system. Or you didn't match the levels exactly when you did whatever you did to normalize them after the fact to A/B. You can hear a volume difference of .1db and you'll always pick the louder one as sounding better. If you didn't match the levels to A/B between the two (which would be basically doing the opposite gain move on one of them), then all bets are off comparing them. You'll pick the louder one as sounding better.

He did the 5.1 mix of Guns 'n' Roses' Appetite For Destruction that came out in June.

I can almost guarantee everyone that Elliot Scheiner already has Abbey Road remixed in his head as we speak. The question remains, what is the likelihood he'll be tasked with this remix? Based on ALL his previous 5.1 remixes, it would be a sure bet he'd get it right. But dealing with all those disparate factions {Universal/Apple/The remaining Beatles] is probably enough to put anyone over the edge!

I absolutely love how disparate the songs are on this album. Also, after the recommendations on here, I started out listening with the front left, right, and center attenuated down -2dB, the surrounds normal, and ended up with the subs at about +4dB. So far, it's one of the best things I've ever heard in my entire life. :eek::rocks Why don't we do it in the road? :unsure:

Back