Steven Wilson working on 5.1 mixes of Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and "Ricochet"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum:hi...just to let you know...where you are now(this forum)...the 5.1 is THE SET for most of us.. its not the cherry on the top...its the appetizer...the main course...the dessert and the after dinner mint..and when it's a Steven Wilson Mix it's also a stiff drink after the meal.....on almost all the box sets I buy I never even bother with the CDs...and I'm not the only one on here that does that....for the record...I knew you didn't leave that thread forever...I thought at some point you would return...but I'm very happy to see you over here:dance...stop by and join in on the threads now that you are a member

Of course, I'm not here to suggest that 5.1 fans would be put off, by ONLY 3 albums in 5.1, but purely to point out that it's literally ONLY those albums, the rest of the content is just stereo afaik. Thanks for the welcome and all the best

Cherry on top sounds like yet another "buy the whole thing to get the 5.1 mix". But I might just do that - this time. Afterall, kosmiche musik is always welcome in my collection.

that and 7 unreleased CDs of some of the rarest music (ie in a few cases ' 'we' didn't even know it existed). I'm really looking forward to this set, although it might sound like I'm over-egging it, this really is one of the most important TD releases ever (beyond the original classic albums).

Of course, I'm not here to suggest that 5.1 fans would be put off, by ONLY 3 albums in 5.1, but purely to point out that it's literally ONLY those albums, the rest of the content is just stereo afaik. Thanks for the welcome and all the best

Do you know if there will be any hi rez redemption cards offered...some sets offer a redemption code which enables you to download hi rez versions of the content.....

Do you know if there will be any hi rez redemption cards offered...some sets offer a redemption code which enables you to download hi rez versions of the content.....

Sorry, 100% no idea, who knows? All that I saw was a breakdown of the albums and tracks, with a few running times - basically just so I could send them the right content for the book. Beyond that, it would be totally misleading for me to even speculate and I don't want to make any false promises based on guesswork. The final look and any other bits and pieces were yet to be finalised when I spoke to their artist (before Christmas).

Trust me...we don't feel "put off" when someone high profile like Steven Wilson is doing the surround mix...we have come to realize that we have to buy the entire box set to get the surround.. since we are in the minority of buyers...but it won't stop most of us from buying them.....just happy to have them:D

Sorry, 100% no idea, who knows? All that I saw was a breakdown of the albums and tracks, with a few running times - basically just so I could send them the right content for the book. Beyond that, it would be totally misleading for me to even speculate and I don't want to make any false promises based on guesswork. The final look and any other bits and pieces were yet to be finalised when I spoke to their artist (before Christmas).

I know you said you weren't actually an "insider" and that you are just a fan but I was curious how they became aware of you?

Trust me...we don't feel "put off" when someone high profile like Steven Wilson is doing the surround mix...we have come to realize that we have to buy the entire box set to get the surround.. since we are in the minority of buyers...but it won't stop most of us from buying them.....just happy to have them:D

Yeah should be great, I hope that the label are as good as their word, where they said they would keep the price as low as possible for the set, however that means of course.

I know you said you weren't actually an "insider" and that you are just a fan but I was curious how they became aware of you?

I'd provided TD content for Universal's sub-label Esoteric Reactive (TD and Baumann re-releases) before and had done 4 lots of liner notes. I was told in VERY vague terms back in (Nov or Dec*) 2017 that they were going to/hoping to look in Universal's vaults and Steven's name was mentioned - and then things went dead and in all honesty I had forgotten about it completely until Steven posted the PHAEDRA tape cover on twitter or instagram. Late last year the label emailed me and asked if I would like to send them some stuff for the set, so I did. *whenever Tangerine Dream's documentary was screened at the Barbican centre in London.

I'm really looking forward to the release, with 3 albums in 5.1 means its an instant buy by me, but I'd have bought it anyway as I really like Tangerine Dream. Phaedra was my first 'proper' vinyl purchase back in '74 (and then I could only play it on my father's stereo turntable), up until then I'd bought on cassette. Phaedra is an album I just find 'magical', something struck a chord with me when I first played it (and I bought it after listening to a short segment in the record shop booth).

no, sadly my 5.1 surround went when my old TV broke. I think I'd like to, not only to hear TD's Wilson remixes but to checkout some of the other 5.1 I have laying around in the house (Pete Namlook CDs etc) as well as hundreds of movies.
Maybe you live near one of us in the UK and could get over for a listening session?

I'm really looking forward to the release, with 3 albums in 5.1 means its an instant buy by me, but I'd have bought it anyway as I really like Tangerine Dream. Phaedra was my first 'proper' vinyl purchase back in '74 (and then I could only play it on my father's stereo turntable), up until then I'd bought on cassette. Phaedra is an album I just find 'magical', something struck a chord with me when I first played it (and I bought it after listening to a short segment in the record shop booth).

Without saying too much, I'm not sure that Phaedra is in full, so please wait for the contents to be revealed - but I think you should be delighted nevertheless.

Maybe you live near one of us in the UK and could get over for a listening session?

Cheers, that's a really nice offer. Busy year however with gigs and other stuff. Hell, I still haven't heard the WYWH Floyd content and that's been sitting on storage nearly as long as my Pete Namlook discs - shameful really. Will certainly be back later in the year for some tips re-equipment (albeit on a fairly modest budget - just enough to get me going).

I'd provided TD content for Universal's sub-label Esoteric Reactive (TD and Baumann re-releases) before and had done 4 lots of liner notes. I was told in VERY vague terms back in (Nov or Dec*) 2017 that they were going to/hoping to look in Universal's vaults and Steven's name was mentioned - and then things went dead and in all honesty I had forgotten about it completely until Steven posted the PHAEDRA tape cover on twitter or instagram. Late last year the label emailed me and asked if I would like to send them some stuff for the set, so I did. *whenever Tangerine Dream's documentary was screened at the Barbican centre in London.

We(the forum) have a very talented member(steelydave) who has written liner notes for the Dutton Vocalion SACD releases...are you aware of Dutton Vocalion in the UK?

Cheers, that's a really nice offer. Busy year however with gigs and other stuff. Hell, I still haven't heard the WYWH Floyd content and that's been sitting on storage nearly as long as my Pete Namlook discs - shameful really. Will certainly be back later in the year for some tips re-equipment (albeit on a fairly modest budget - just enough to get me going).

You can get plenty of help on here with system advice on any budget level:SG

We(the forum) have a very talented member(steelydave) who has written liner notes for the Dutton Vocalion SACD releases...are you aware of Dutton Vocalion in the UK?

I'm sure they must have been better than mine - no talent for writing myself and boy did my liner notes for Electronic Meditation and Alpha Centauri show it ;) I've literally no idea (forgive me) who or what Dutton Vocalion is?

Back