Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Clint: I heard about this a while ago and have been looking forward to it as most CC BDs are Region A locked and my Sony is Region B locked.

Clicked the link and lo and behold, not available down the bottom of the planet. Gotta keep that region licencing in place so motherfathers can keep getting paid for "work" they did decades ago, even though there's an INTER(national) NET(work) available and my money's there for the taking - grrrr.

Not to worry, I'll stick with my spinny discs (audio's better anyway). Sorry for the rant, QQers. Very few things push my buttons but region licencing is one of them. That and crossing the centre line on the roads. Relax. Deep breaths...

Thanks Clint: I heard about this a while ago and have been looking forward to it as most CC BDs are Region A locked and my Sony is Region B locked.

Clicked the link and lo and behold, not available down the bottom of the planet. Gotta keep that region licencing in place so motherfathers can keep getting paid for "work" they did decades ago, even though there's an INTER(national) NET(work) available and my money's there for the taking - grrrr.

Not to worry, I'll stick with my spinny discs (audio's better anyway). Sorry for the rant, QQers. Very few things push my buttons but region licencing is one of them. That and crossing the centre line on the roads. Relax. Deep breaths...

I don't stream...except when I visit my urologisto_O…I had no idea that they restricted movies based on geographic locations...geeze...that's a shame...can't import this or that and even over the internet...that's a shame..

I don't stream...except when I visit my urologisto_O…I had no idea that they restricted movies based on geographic locations...geeze...that's a shame...can't import this or that and even over the internet...that's a shame..
Yeah, it's a bummer but not to worry. I ain't a streamer either (except for having to get up 2-3 times a night!) but I thought this may have gotten me going in that regard. Not a biggie though. One day it'll happen.

Huge Luc Besson fan here...got "The extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec" on bluray this week...what a great frickin movie....yes, it's French, but its a classic, great sfx and a very discrete soundtrack by Eric Serra.

Since all or MOST newly released Criterion releases are mastered from 4K sources, when is Criterion going to release in NATIVE UHD 4K? Might as well! I have my eye on the new Orson Welles' classic The Magnificent Ambersons especially since I've been watching Welles' restored The Other Side of the Wind this past week on Netflix. He started filming in 1970 and died before its completion. Also the NETFLIX original They'll Love Me When I'm Dead, a companion piece on the making of Other Side. Other Side, BTW, has some interesting surround effects.

the-other-side-of-the-wind-netflix.jpg

Last edited:
Huge Luc Besson fan here...got "The extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec" on bluray this week...what a great frickin movie....yes, it's French, but its a classic, great sfx and a very discrete soundtrack by Eric Serra.

A HUGE Luc Besson fan myself [Subway, The Big Blue, La Femme Nikita, The Fifth Element, Léon: The Professional etc]. Will have to order this one. Thanks for the heads up, Kap!

A HUGE Luc Besson fan myself [Subway, The Big Blue, La Femme Nikita, The Fifth Element, Léon: The Professional etc]. Will have to order this one. Thanks for the heads up, Kap!
Don't forget "Valerian".. another underappreciated effort!! A lot of "Fifth Element" nudges there...and any movie that has Herbie Hancock as a leader is worth it!!!

Don't forget "Valerian".. another underappreciated effort!! A lot of "Fifth Element" nudges there...and any movie that has Herbie Hancock as a leader is worth it!!!

Kap, I watched Valerian in 3D on my OLED ....... pretty awesome and yes, under appreciated but in a world of MARVEL/DC comics I'm afraid it slipped through the cracks .... or another dimension. Visually stunning, BTW.

Just watched a fascinating doc on Netflix this evening entitled "Sad Hill Unearthed" in which dedicated fans of the epic The Good, The Bad and The Ugly to coincide with the film's 50th Anniversary, restored the original Sad Hill Cemetery in Burgos, Spain which Sergio Leone, with the help of the Spanish Army, constructed for the film's finale. James Hetfield of Metallica appeared in the film as he's a huge fan of Ennio Morricone's score which the group uses as an intro to its shows and the various film editors and set designers who were involved with Leone's mammoth production. Sadly missing, of course, is a Native UHD 4K restoration of Leone's classic to coincide with its 50th anniversary which was, BTW, 2016.

cemetery.jpg

Thanks for making me aware of this. It's a fascinating documentary and it's great to see what a few enthusiasts can achieve. The only thing I found a bit weird was the English subtitling - it was a slightly distracting during the bits where people were actually speaking English and the subtitles themselves varied in position from shot to shot. A minor quibble for a great documentary.

and, another thrift shop find..."Moulin Rouge".....I am into it 10 mins.and already laughing my ass of.. first of all a great DTS (48K) discrete soundtrack.. a guy conducting the 20th Century Fox intro , the huge nod to "The Sound Of Music" and to Sweet's "Love is like oxygen".. ROFL!!!
an INSTANT CLASSIC.. I am sure I saw this on DVD in 2002 or something like that but I don't remember it being so funny!

and, another thrift shop find..."Moulin Rouge".....I am into it 10 mins.and already laughing my ass of.. first of all a great DTS (48K) discrete soundtrack.. a guy conducting the 20th Century Fox intro , the huge nod to "The Sound Of Music" and to Sweet's "Love is like oxygen".. ROFL!!!
an INSTANT CLASSIC.. I am sure I saw this on DVD in 2002 or something like that but I don't remember it being so funny!
LOVE this movie!

Baz Lurhman at his MOST excessive. A real guilty pleasure. Have you seen his Romeo and Juliet extravaganza, yet?

BTW, my Luc Besson "The Adventures of Adele Blanc~Sec" arrived today. If I have time I'll watch it tonight.

Baz Lurhman at his MOST excessive. A real guilty pleasure. Have you seen his Romeo and Juliet extravaganza, yet?

BTW, my Luc Besson "The Adventures of Adele Blanc~Sec" arrived today. If I have time I'll watch it tonight.

Oh heck yeah...
BTW, I usually watch Adele Blanc-Sec in FREEEEENCH!!!!! .. a great lesson of a screwed up language!!! Enjoy and report back...

Oh heck yeah...
BTW, I usually watch Adele Blanc-Sec in FREEEEENCH!!!!! .. a great lesson of a screwed up language!!! Enjoy and report back...

Confession, Kap....I started watching Adele @ 3 AM.....in French w/subtitles ...... loved it but then sleep overcame me so I will hopefully finish watching it tonight. Another delightful Luc Besson flick!

Confession, Kap....I started watching Adele @ 3 AM.....in French w/subtitles ...... loved it but then sleep overcame me so I will hopefully finish watching it tonight. Another delightful Luc Besson flick!
I can't blame you ..IT IS A FRENCH MOVIE!!!
The pacing is slower AND the audio mix is VERY DIFFERENT TO USA MOVIES, the dialog is not drowned and the SFX are not booming

I can't blame you ..IT IS A FRENCH MOVIE!!!
The pacing is slower AND the audio mix is VERY DIFFERENT TO USA MOVIES, the dialog is not drowned and the SFX are not booming

Not to mention I've been nursing a horrendous cold for the past 10 days and the medication's knocking me out. But I wasn't at all bored. Have always love Besson's quirky movies.

FINALLY saw Alfonso Cuarón's ROMA on Netflix and was immediately immersed in his privileged childhood of having grown up in Mexico City during the early turbulent 70's, the son of a well to do doctor and the trials and tribulations suffered by his 'nanny/servant' Cleo.

ROMA_USEFORANNOUNCEMENT.jpg

Most striking was the B&W cinematography expertly shot by Cuarón on the Alexa65 digital camera himself and the ultra immersive sound design which captures every nuance of ROMA.

Roma.jpg

Last edited:
Back