Biggest single surround release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...once again, I've loved reading all the replies and speculation and whilst I'm not giving anything away until I'm able to, I really feel the need to do some expectation setting!

I would dearly love some of the mainstream artists mentioned to do an entire back catalogue release, and would love even more to work with them! But you gotta be realistic, guys! ...this isn't a radical departure from the kind of artists and bands that I have worked with in the past.

Having said that, the quality of the songs and surround mixes is absolutely as good as you would wish it to be! This is going to be one hell of a good package!

Well, with all that information it has to be all of the back catalogue and the new 4 cd set from Ian Hunter being released in Atmos. I am looking most forward to the new release of four CD’s on the new release, he hasn’t even released the title of this yet, but I have ascertained that he is Covering the Graham Parker song “i’ll Never Play In Jacksonville Again“ theh Sex Pistols song “Submission” the Frank Carillo version of Golden Earrings “Radar Love”, and finally he covers Roy Wood‘s “Sse My Baby Jive”.I have also got confirmation that there are two songs over 30 minutes long!i can’t wait to hear what the mixer of sound , Mr. Palfreyman Does with
Once Bitten Twice Shy (Hunter);Boy (Hunter/Ronson); The Truth, The Whole Truth, Nuthin' But The Truth (Hunter); It Ain't Easy When You Fall (Hunter); Shades Off (Hunter); I Get So Excited (Hunter)
Released on 28 March 1975, the album was produced by Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson. The band for the album was Ian Hunter, Mick Ronson ( Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, John Mellencamp, David Bowie, Elton John)“ Geoff Appleby, Dennis Elliott (Foreignerr), and Peter Arnesen (The Hollies), Johnny Gustafson (The Big Three, Ian Gillan Band, Roxy Music and Quatermass) contributed bass to 'Lounge Lizard which was one of the last songs written for Mott the Hoople but was never released until 2006 as a bonus track,on the remastered “The Hoople “ CD

And this and Andry studio CD up to IAN HUNTER ”Fingers Crossed “unveils ten new (12 if you get the Japanese version), self-penned songs including his much-anticipated homage to David Bowie ‘Dandy’. Recorded at HOBO Studios in New Jersey, and co-produced by Hunter and Andy York,(John Mellencamps lead guitarist) the record features his magnificent Rant Band and is the follow-up to 2012’s acclaimed When I’m President. As leader of ‘70s British rock legends Mott the Hoople and as a hugely influential solo artist, Ian Hunter is widely revered as one of rock’n’roll’s most compelling performers and one of its most articulate songwriters. As author of such immortal anthems as, “All The Way From Memphis”, “Once Bitten, Twice Shy” and “Cleveland Rocks” and the voice of such landmark albums as, “All The Young Dudes”, “Mott”, “Ian Hunter” and “You’re Never Alone With A IAN HUNTER ‘Fingers Crossed’ (Proper Records) Released September 16 2016 Ian Hunter’s latest studio album, Fingers And unveils ten new, self-penned songs including his much-anticipated homage to David Bowie ‘Dandy’. Recorded at HOBO Studios in New Jersey, and co-produced by Hunter and Andy York, the record features his magnificent Rant Band and is the follow-up to 2012’s acclaimed When I’m President. As leader of ‘70s British rock legends Mott the Hoople and as a hugely influential solo artist, Ian Hunter is widely revered as one of rock’n’roll’s most compelling performers and one of its most articulate songwriters. As author of such immortal anthems as, “All The Way From Memphis”, “Once Bitten, Twice Shy” and “Cleveland Rocks” and the voice of such landmark albums as, “All The Young Dudes”, “Mott”, “Ian Hunter” and “You’re Never Alone With A Schizophrenic”, he remains a hero to fellow musicians and fans around the world. The compositions on Fingers Crossed see Hunter covering typically wide-ranging subject matter. ‘Dandy’, his fond tribute to David Bowie reflects on a relationship cemented in 1972 when Bowie produced Mott’s album All the Young Dudes and provided its hit title track. “I think ‘Dandy’ might be my favourite track on the album,” Ian admits “I like the line – ‘and then we took the last bus home’. David was an incredible artist with an insatiable curiosity for everything.” ‘Ghosts’ was inspired by a November 2014 visit to Union Avenue in Memphis where Ian and the Rant Band were invited to jam in rock ‘n’ roll pioneer Sam Phillips’ legendary Sun Studio. Title track ‘Fingers Crossed’ is a 1750’s sea-faring tale of impressment, when men were taken into the Navy by compulsion and forced recruitment. “’Fingers Crossed’ was not inspired by a book” Ian comments, “actually it wasn’t inspired by anything material. I’ve no idea where it came from as I simply woke up one day with the line – ‘I was pressed into service, through no fault of my own’ – and from there the song took its own course. It could only go one way. It’s great when you get a strong opening line!” ‘White House’ injects a fun element, based on real-life … and a real beaver … while ‘Bow Street Runners’ tells the 18th Century tale of the Fielding Brothers. Hunter explains: “In the 1700s half-a-million people lived in London and there were no cops, so crime was rampant. It was crazy. One of the Fielding brothers was known as Blind Beak – he couldn’t see but he could smell crime and recognized thousands of criminals by the sound of their voices - so the story goes. The brothers Henry and John Fielding formed the Bow Street Runners … Britain’s first Bobbies!” ‘Morpheus’ is framed around the Ancient Greek god who had the ability to mimic human form and shape people’s dreams and has proved “the instant favourite of many people who have heard the album,” Hunter reveals. “I’m delighted with ‘Fin. The compositions on Fingers Crossed see Hunter covering typically wide-ranging subject matter. ‘Dandy’, his fond tribute to David Bowie reflects on a relationship cemented in 1972 when Bowie produced Mott’s album All the Young Dudes and provided its hit title track. “I think ‘Dandy’ might be my favourite track on the album,” Ian admits “I like the line – ‘and then we took the last bus home’. David was an incredible artist with an insatiable curiosity for everything.” ‘Ghosts’ was inspired by a November 2014 visit to Union Avenue in Memphis where Ian and the Rant Band were invited to jam in rock ‘n’ roll pioneer Sam Phillips’ legendary Sun Studio. Title track ‘Fingers Crossed’ is a 1750’s sea-faring tale of impressment, when men were taken into the Navy by compulsion and forced recruitment. “’Fingers Crossed’ was not inspired by a book” Ian comments, “actually it wasn’t inspired by anything material. I’ve no idea where it came from as I simply woke up one day with the line – ‘I was pressed into service, through no fault of my own’ – and from there the song took its own course. It could only go one way. It’s great when you get a strong opening line!” ‘White House’ injects a fun element, based on real-life … and a real beaver … while ‘Bow Street Runners’ tells the 18th Century tale of the Fielding Brothers. Hunter explains: “In the 1700s half-a-million people lived in London and there were no cops, so crime was rampant. It was crazy. One of the Fielding brothers was known as Blind Beak – he couldn’t see but he could smell crime and recognized thousands of criminals by the sound of their voices - so the story goes. The brothers Henry and John Fielding formed the Bow Street Runners

Last edited:
...once again, I've loved reading all the replies and speculation and whilst I'm not giving anything away until I'm able to, I really feel the need to do some expectation setting!

I would dearly love some of the mainstream artists mentioned to do an entire back catalogue release, and would love even more to work with them! But you gotta be realistic, guys! ...this isn't a radical departure from the kind of artists and bands that I have worked with in the past.

Having said that, the quality of the songs and surround mixes is absolutely as good as you would wish it to be! This is going to be one hell of a good package!
Then I would think it would need to be Pineapple Thief or Big Big Train or something that you and Bruce Snood worked on together😁✌️

All I can say is that the last few comments (from Neil and Jeffko) really threw some cold water on this thread.
I appreciate you bringing us back down to earth Neil. I am still looking forward to the announcement but now I realize that there is a high probability that whoever it is won't be that big of a deal for me.
And if it is, in fact, Ian Hunter then it won't matter to me at all. I am happy for fans of his that will have this opportunity but it ain't for me. Never been a fan of his or Mott, although I did see him open for Heart in 1980.

I can only look at Neil's announcement as a further endorsement that SURROUND MUSIC IS ALIVE ..... AND WELL. So it won't be ELVIS shaking his PELVIS, or the androgynous Bowie nor Sabbath, PF or a gaggle of other A list artists, but a massive release in surround on physical disc is always welcomed.

And as Mark Anderson is hard at work compiling a list of blu ray audio discs in SURROUND [bless you Mark], and 2021 comes to a close, we at QQ Forum, who I feel have been instrumental in reviving the surround bandwagon once again, should embrace each and every new release with gratiutude.

So maybe come 2022, Robert Plant and his Pageboy will finally give us some ZEP in ATMOS/5.1 or Tony Visconti will similarly grace us with some more D. Bowie but until then, let's be grateful for the many wonderful SURROUND DISCS we have been blessed with in the last few years.

They all said SURROUND WAS DEAD ...... but we proved them wrong .... the DEAD CAN DANCE and we at QQ Forum have been boogying with some phenomenol releases with tons more to come!

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE QQ FORUM .....SHALL WE CALL IT THE "LAZARUS SYNDROME?"

Last edited:
Even in death, Bowie is still huge.

And so is ENRICO CARUSO!

R.3d065037ae7459037247a89ab6569648

All the first post said was that it would have more surround material than the Talking Heads' Brick set.
For me it was the 3rd post that got my imagination running wild, where he said... "I know most of the material *very* well...". .
I kind of (wishfully in retrospect) assumed that meant "I know most of the material very well and so will you", which would have implied a well know artist.

For me it was the 3rd post that got my imagination running wild, where he said... "I know most of the material *very* well...". .
I kind of (wishfully in retrospect) assumed that meant "I know most of the material very well and so will you", which would have implied a well know artist.

Rule #1 Bill: NEVER assume ANYTHING. It might be THICK AS A BRICK but that's where the similarity ends!

Love the idea, but Bruce has never shown much of an interest in multi channel. And... it would have leaked by now. :)
The only thing I’d like in Surround by him would be BTR or The Winterland Show from’78

to me even

Irom Butterfly “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” LP would be more interesting….

Love Bruuuuuce live in the ‘70’s

The only thing I’d like in Surround by him would be BTR or The Winterland Show from’78

to me even

Irom Butterfly “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” LP would be more interesting….

Love Bruuuuuce live in the ‘70’s
The problem with BTR is the way it was recorded/mastered. He wanted it to sound like you were listening to the radio. There are no dynamics to it. I cannot play that album loud enough to feel it; My ears always start hurting first. And I've always felt like it should explode out of the speakers, like Darkness. If it is even possible, it would be a major change in the sound of the album. I would love it more than just about anything I can think of (well, maybe a 5.1 Kate Bush box). The odds of it happening are about the same as me ever getting to see Kate in concert. :-(

Speaking of 70's live Springsteen, he just released the 1975 CW Post show. Really good.

I'm cheating off of someone's list. Sorry...

I would love it to be Kate Bush, but she just remastered everything a few years ago.

Can you even pull a real multi channel out of the old Led Zep stuff?

The Who... Is there enough material available? Do they have the multi tracks?

I love the Cat Stevens idea. Does he have enough music for that big a box?

Bowie is high on my list of possibilities. There's lots of music there.

The Fripp box seems like a strong contender as well.

Elvis Costello would be cool. Has anyone heard the "Spanish Model" album. He took the masters, left off his voice and turned over the vocals to Spanish language vocalist from around the world. The sound is really good and the whole album is so much fun.

The problem with BTR is the way it was recorded/mastered. He wanted it to sound like you were listening to the radio. There are no dynamics to it. I cannot play that album loud enough to feel it; My ears always start hurting first. And I've always felt like it should explode out of the speakers, like Darkness. If it is even possible, it would be a major change in the sound of the album. I would love it more than just about anything I can think of (well, maybe a 5.1 Kate Bush box). The odds of it happening are about the same as me ever getting to see Kate in concert. :-(

Speaking of 70's live Springsteen, he just released the 1975 CW Post show. Really good.
Yes I got the email about the CW show as well…still my fav of all time is Winterland ‘78 and my next favorite live concert although not Bruce is Aerosmith ‘75 live in Central Park man….they used to ROCK better than anyone back then and the recording is BAR NONE!!!

Back