Acura TL: DTS swapped out for Dolby Pro Logic II

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarofclay73

I was checking out the Acura website to keep tabs on my favorite car, and I just noticed the latest TLs don't have DTS-CD capability anymore. Instead, it has a Dolby Pro Logic II feature. Thankfully, it still plays DVD-Audio discs.

Now, I love that fact that I can play DTS-CDs in my 2006 TL. I just got Alan Parsons' "On Air" and sounds great in the car. And, while Dolby Pro Logic II sounds like an interesting feature, it's still a "fake" surround.

On the other hand, maybe it IS a good feature for someone not exposed to surround sound. They can hear the "fake" surround on their normal CDs and possibly want to buy DVD-Audio discs which have discrete surround.

What do you think? Good move to expose the normal listener to surround or DTS compatibility is more important?

It seems unusual why they couldn't offer both. How hard would that be to do?
Or is there licensing fee issues.

That's odd. My RDX has both. I will check this out when I'm in for service next Friday.

According to the website, the RDX (the more expensive SUV) still has DTS compatibility but none of the others cars have that feature, so I don't think licensing is an issue unless it's on a per car basis.

As far as the sound system goes, the RDX also has the MOST features: DVD-A, DTS, CD/CD-R/RW/MP3/WMA, XM Satellite, Dolby Pro Logic II and an auxiliary jack to boot to plug in... *gulp*... your iPod.

Either the website is not giving the entire information, or maybe they're trying to give the RDX a bigger selling point by loading up the sound system.

It's sad if the TL can't play DTS discs anymore. Makes me want to keep my particular TL model.

According to the website, the RDX (the more expensive SUV) still has DTS compatibility but none of the others cars have that feature, so I don't think licensing is an issue unless it's on a per car basis.

As far as the sound system goes, the RDX also has the MOST features: DVD-A, DTS, CD/CD-R/RW/MP3/WMA, XM Satellite, Dolby Pro Logic II and an auxiliary jack to boot to plug in... *gulp*... your iPod.

Either the website is not giving the entire information, or maybe they're trying to give the RDX a bigger selling point by loading up the sound system.

It's sad if the TL can't play DTS discs anymore. Makes me want to keep my particular TL model.

Yes, the RDX does a lot. I use the AUX in for my SIRIUS S50 radio. Although I *do* have an iPod, I never take it in the car. I don't want the DVD-Audio player to ever see it! ;)

Yes, the RDX does a lot. I use the AUX in for my SIRIUS S50 radio. Although I *do* have an iPod, I never take it in the car. I don't want the DVD-Audio player to ever see it! ;)

So why do you have a Sirius radio when there's an XM Satellite radio built in? I live in Hawaii so I can't get either but I'm just wondering...

This is truly a nightmare! Jon, have you gone into a showroom & checked this out on an actual car?

First off, I went to the website and looked at the 08 TL, and I DID see a DTS logo on the faceplate, so I think we're all safe! :D

I was at the dealer for my 22,500 service, and there were no '08's or brochures there. I got there at 7am, so there were no sales types around, and the service dudes did not know.

I find it hard to believe that an ELS system would drop DTS. Like I said, in my RDX, it has both DPLII and DTS.

First off, I went to the website and looked at the 08 TL, and I DID see a DTS logo on the faceplate, so I think we're all safe! :D

I was at the dealer for my 22,500 service, and there were no '08's or brochures there. I got there at 7am, so there were no sales types around, and the service dudes did not know.

I find it hard to believe that an ELS system would drop DTS. Like I said, in my RDX, it has both DPLII and DTS.
Don't do this to me. You're freakin' me out! Actually, I just cracked out a 2007 TL catalog & it says DTS. It's way too early for 2008 brochures.

Go to Acura.com, click on the TL link. Then go to the TL Gallery. You will see pictures of the dash electronics. There you will see the DTS logo, as well as others. I'd paste the link, but it's an Adobe Flash page.

Larry - Check out the 08 TL Type-S. Holy crap!

(PS - Did you get your Firesign DVD-A?)

Boy, I would be impressed if the Acura sales types at my dealership had any clue what DTS is!:D

I am thinking the upcoming TL will sport the Bose universal player.

It's weird how they decide. The RL (their most expensive car) has the Bose 5.1 DVD-A system, while the MDX/RDX/TL/TL-S all have the ELS Panasonic system.

Go figure!

I saw the picture of the dash and it does indeed has a DTS logo as well as a Dolby Pro Logic logo.

So, hopefully, it will have DTS compatibility. I'll wait for a real car at a dealership to find out if it still does. I'm just worried because it's not in writing.

It would be a total shame to not have DTS.

Also, how IS the Bose system compared to the Panasonic? I love the Panasonic. I think the Bose system might have more speakers but is it really that much better?

Now, my wish is that every TL came with a screen so we can play DVD-Video 5.1 discs (although I already converted a lot of my DVD-V discs to the DVD-A format).

Jon, can you also change the the title of this thread to have at least a "(maybe)" at the end since this has not been confirmed yet?

What is "fake" about it? :confused: Please explain.

From what I understand about Dolby Pro Logic is that it creates a surround field from a normal stereo CD. I suppose that means separating out frequencies and things like that. Perhaps a more advanced version of the "3D" function on some home stereos. So, a surround sound is created from a stereo source, but is not discrete. So, that's why I called it "fake."

What is "fake" about it? :confused: Please explain.
DPL II offers "fake" surround if it is used to process surround-sound from stereo source. However, if the original content is multi-channel audio subsequently encoded with DPL II, then the results are just as real (if not more so) than SQ or QS quadraphonic sound.

I saw the picture of the dash and it does indeed has a DTS logo as well as a Dolby Pro Logic logo.

So, hopefully, it will have DTS compatibility. I'll wait for a real car at a dealership to find out if it still does. I'm just worried because it's not in writing.

It would be a total shame to not have DTS.

Also, how IS the Bose system compared to the Panasonic? I love the Panasonic. I think the Bose system might have more speakers but is it really that much better?

Now, my wish is that every TL came with a screen so we can play DVD-Video 5.1 discs (although I already converted a lot of my DVD-V discs to the DVD-A format).

Jon, can you also change the the title of this thread to have at least a "(maybe)" at the end since this has not been confirmed yet?

If they have added DPLII to the TL then you are even better off than Jon or I were. When we had our TL's they did not have true DPLII but instead added a surround element called "TruSurround" (as I recall). It was good, but DPLII is way better!

Back