Gordon Lightfoot RIP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at Mark Anderson's Quad Discography and there are two Quad releases from Gordon Lightfoot, so come on Dutton-Vocalion do your magic!

View attachment 91167
I already addressed that, Dunc [post #28 on this thread]...but unfortunately, GL is on the REPRISE/WARNER label and Warner will not lend out their QUAD masters at this time.

Can we hope [and pray] for a BD~A two fer from WARNER????????

BTW, this release was listed in the Quadraphonic Discography as having a pre~release catalogue number so it's quite possible that there's an extant QUAD mix in the Warner vaults:

GORDON LIGHTFOOT -
Gords Gold. Reprise [2 LP] 2MS4-2237 (CD4), 2L9M-2237 (Q8)

Last edited:
I already addressed that, Dunc [post #28 on this thread]...but unfortunately, GL is on the REPRISE/WARNER label and Warner will not lend out their QUAD masters at this time.

Can we hope [and pray] for a BD~A two fer from WARNER????????

BTW, this release was listed in the Quadraphonic Discography as having a pre~release catalogue number so it's quite possible that there's an extant QUAD mix in the Warner vaults:

GORDON LIGHTFOOT -
Gords Gold. Reprise [2 LP] 2MS4-2237 (CD4), 2L9M-2237 (Q8)

I usually refrain from commenting in the forum regarding any communications I have with industry folks here in order not to be seen as some kind of whining fanboy type that the labels hate to deal with (for obvious reasons), but in the case of Gordon's passing, I did send a suggestion to Rhino that the two CD-4 albums would be a really well received release if they somehow could make it out to market on bluray or whatever. The response was not overwhelmingly encouraging, but it was not 'no'. So there's that.

Maybe we'll see some streaming Atmos of Gordon's stuff?

I usually refrain from commenting in the forum regarding any communications I have with industry folks here in order not to be seen as some kind of whining fanboy type that the labels hate to deal with (for obvious reasons), but in the case of Gordon's passing, I did send a suggestion to Rhino that the two CD-4 albums would be a really well received release if they somehow could make it out to market on bluray or whatever. The response was not overwhelmingly encouraging, but it was not 'no'. So there's that.

Maybe we'll see some streaming Atmos of Gordon's stuff?
Jon, would you encourage other QQ members to do the same? And IF [BIG IF] the unreleased Gord's Gold [2 LP set] is somehow remixed and lurking in the vaults it could constitute a 4 disc set!

edit: I did contact RHINO via email about releasing the Gordon Lightfoot QUADS on BD~A. Here is my email:

"Since we sadly just lost Canadian singer/songwriter extraordinaire Gordon Lightfoot, I think it would be a fitting tribute to release on BD~A Gordon's two 1970's QUADRAPHONIC classics SUNDOWN and COLD ON THE SHOULDER and quite possibly GORD'S GOLD which was assigned a release # but never officially released on CD~4 disc nor Q8. Since you did release the indispensable Chicago and Doobie Brother's QUADIO box sets on BD~A, would you consider as a tribute to Gordon Lightfoot to see fit to release the aforementioned on 3 BD~A discs?"

Last edited:
So perhaps lil Snood who'is now BIG Snood can dash off an email to Rhino and request that all of Gordon's existing QUAD masters be released as 192/24 BD~As? That way BIG Snood could enjoy THE WRECK in all its discrete Quadraphonic glory!
I think it would be better for you to start a QQ petitionā€¦LOL

Seven Island Suite is one my favorite Lightfoot compositions, but every time I listen to it, I have to smirk when Gord sings the line,

"...you seem to think because you got chicken-to-go you're in luck."

šŸ¤”

Gord could have written anything that came into his head because Seven Island Suite is a continuous string of ultra-mega-uber hooks from start to finish. It is one of those rare pieces that sounds perfect in every way.

Don't forget Canadian RR Trilogy. It's pretty incredible in it's own way.

You're darn tootin' I won't forget Canadian RR Trilogy. So much so that I made my own 5.1 from stems using DeMiX Pro. Perhaps the powers that be will actually release the quad of Gord's Gold if they see that people are making their own mixes of this stuff.

CRRT.jpg

And I also made my own mix of If You Could Read My Mind:

IYCRMM.jpg

Plus, two versions of Edmund Fitzgerald...the original version and a de-reverbed 'in my living room' version (still in progress). Hey, Gord liked to make multiple versions, too!

WOTEF.jpg

The living room (de-reverbed) version:

WOTEF [LR vers].jpg

For the first time since the legendary laker went down off Whitefish point in Lake Superior, near Sault Ste. Marie, on Nov. 10, 1975, the bells of the Marinersā€™ Church of Detroit rang 30 times to commemorate that tragic day. The first 29 were for the shipā€™s crew. The 30th was for Lightfoot, who died Monday at the age of 84.

In journalism circles, the number 30 symbolizes the end of written copy. While the 30 here may be a coincidence, sometimes coincidences are poignant. This was a fitting and appropriate tribute to the legendary singer and songwriter, whose song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald immortalized those sailors forever.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-n...ghtfoot-as-crew-of-edmund-fitzgerald-honoured

Don't forget Canadian RR Trilogy. It's pretty incredible in it's own way.

They saw an iron road running from the sea to the sea...
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run..."

Another favorite:

There's something about his clipped Rs on, "Bring in the workers," that makes it even catchier and more memorable.

Great song. Dont have any CDs of his music but I found an old cassette I had picked up of Gords Gold vol II for the car. Less familiar to me songs on this one but it was nice hearing his voice in my car driving to work in the rain this morning....

Great song. Dont have any CDs of his music but I found an old cassette I had picked up of Gords Gold vol II for the car. Less familiar to me songs on this one but it was nice hearing his voice in my car driving to work in the rain this morning....
ā€œIn the early morning rainā€¦ā€ Yeah, Gordo had a song about that too.

Back