HiRez Poll Lightfoot, Gordon - SUNDOWN [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Gordon Lightfoot - SUNDOWN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I gave it a 9, only missed being a 10 due to the fact of it being an
old analog recording. With all the new fully digital recordings we've had coming our way
over the last decade I'm finding it increasing difficult to ignore what I hear as the missing
inner detail, snap and focus of music from old analog master tapes.
that gets to the crux of what good remastering should be all about, to make the most of old recordings, to extract detail, snap, focus, etc.

there was a suggestion, i think by Foraging Rhino himself, that most of these Quadio's are flat transfers? šŸ‘€

if that's the case, maybe some of the tapes need a bit of gentle help here and there, or maybe that's already happening, i don't know!? šŸ¤”

It had been many years since I listened to this classic.
I have the MoFi MFSL 1-018 LP needledrop on the HD but I rarely listen
to vinyl sourced music any more, I had long forgotten how much I loved this recording.
Anyway what a beautiful Quad mix we have here, just the right balance and discreetness
in the surround sound. I gave it a 9, only missed being a 10 due to the fact of it being an
old analog recording. With all the new fully digital recordings we've had coming our way
over the last decade I'm finding it increasing difficult to ignore what I hear as the missing
inner detail, snap and focus of music from old analog master tapes. Otherwise a job extremely
well done by

that gets to the crux of what good remastering should be all about, to make the most of old recordings, to extract detail, snap, focus, etc.

there was a suggestion, i think by Foraging Rhino himself, that most of these Quadio's are flat transfers? šŸ‘€

if that's the case, maybe some of the tapes need a bit of gentle help here and there, or maybe that's already happening, i don't know!? šŸ¤”
It sounds great to me. Maybe my ears are too old (58 years). (y)

So glad to get this, especially for my second favourite Gordon Lightfoot song "Carefree Highway" IMHO eclipsed only by "If You Could Read My Mind". I always felt that the title track "Sundown" was not all that good and was very much overplayed.

Sound quality is superb.

Surround varies, rather sparse at times; but what more do you expect from a singer songwriter? At other times it is fantastic so no complaint from me.

I received the disc from Rhino today - I had almost given up hope and was going to order from Amazon! After Gordon Lightfoot died, I decided to purchase his first three albums recorded for Reprise/Warner, as I only had a greatest hits compilation CD of his. I really enjoyed both Sundown and If You Could Read My Mind. Then Sundown was released as a Quadio, only a couple of months later! The improvement from the CD is staggering! There is so much more detail, the surround mix is really well done and the fidelity is even better than the CD, which didn't sound compressed at all. A classic album. Of course it's a 10.

One of the many surprises in the Quadio series so far. What a great album and so well recorded, and the Quad mix very tastefully done.
10 out of 10 for me i dont think this could have been bettered.
Only just listening to it now because I have ordered the next batch and realised I have not listend to batch two.

One of the many surprises in the Quadio series so far. What a great album and so well recorded, and the Quad mix very tastefully done.
10 out of 10 for me i dont think this could have been bettered.
Only just listening to it now because I have ordered the next batch and realised I have not listend to batch two.
ā€œSeven Island Suiteā€. Such a quad gem!

Back