HiRez Poll War - THE WORLD IS A GHETTO [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of War - THE WORLD IS A GHETTO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new reissue of the classic War album "The World is a Ghetto."
This Blu-Ray audio disc is part of Rhino's Quadio series and the disc features the first release of the original Quadraphonic mix for the first time since the 1970s!

(y):) (n)

WAR_Ghetto_Quadio.png

30% SURROUND MIX - 30%
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - 30%
30% CONTENT - 30%
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - 10%

Total vote - 10. In my neighborhood, everyone knew the lyrics to "The Cisco Kid" and "The World Is A Ghetto". This is my first listen to the entire album and it is easy to see how it became Billboard's Number 1 and best selling album of 1973. Not seen in 50 years, I recommend that you run (don't walk) and purchase this now. ;) The 192/24 4.0 BluRay is amazing. Thank you Rhino.

Last edited by a moderator:
An EASY 10! Rhino has absolutely NAILED this classic 1972 album in pristine discrete sonics! GREAT bass extension and easily my fav of the current batch!

As RustyM asserts ......RUN ...don't WALK.....to make THE WORLD IS A GHETTO part of your SURROUND collection! It's THAT GREAT! ❤️

Imagine the chances of getting this particular title in a perfect quad digital release. Back in the '90s, '00s, even '10s - it would have been the longest shot in the book to say that this title will appear on bluray from the master tapes in quad. No one would have believed you.

It certainly is not just a surprise, but a '10' all the way. Great stuff and a great job on the release

Just received mine! So is this the unreleased CD4 LP mix?

Surround Discography and DISCOGS notes the RELEASED QUADs were (QR) and (Q8) - Reel and 8-Track -and
the (CD4) LP mix was only released on some test pressings...curious about any comments anyone has that knows more about this -

I've never heard ANY of them - so this should be a treat.

released -
The World is a Ghetto. United Artist USTQ-5652-QF (QR),
UA-DA178-H (Q8)

unreleased -
WAR -
The World is a Ghetto. United Artists UA DA178 (CD4), USTQ-178-QF (QR)
{A listing at Discogs with the quad catalog number indicates 6 owners of
the test pressing LP.

This Quadio release sounds absolutely amazing. Could it be any better? I don't think so. Wow....a big juicy 10.
This is an album I never owned back in the day, oddly. I totally forgot about the song, The World Is A Ghetto. What a killer track, and it simply sounds awesome. You can crank this mutha up.

Last edited:
I have loved this album since buying the stereo 8-Track way back in 1973(?), an Album easily within my TOP 100 Favorites.
I have never heard the Quadraphonic Mix before, and was ecstatic to read here at QQ of the new Rhino Quadio coming.

I received the BR and went straight to 'City, Country, City', my favorite track on this album. Then I played the entire BR through a couple of times the day it arrived.

30% SURROUND MIX - 30%
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - 30%
30% CONTENT - 30%
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - 10%

Total vote = 10

Last edited:
Other than the two pop hits off this album, (#1 selling album in 1973, BTW,) I never heard of any of the other tracks. Wow. This really blew me away! Stunning quality and surround. Some producers/engineers back in the day really knew what they were doing. Steve Wilson, eat your heart out on this one. 😂

Track #3, City County, City, is a fantastic example of spectacular quad. This is definitely a demo cut for your system. And seriously jazz, not what I expected.

An absolute 10 from me!

Other than the two pop hits off this album, (#1 selling album in 1973, BTW,) I never heard of any of the other tracks. Wow. This really blew me away! Stunning quality and surround. Some producers/engineers back in the day really knew what they were doing. Steve Wilson, eat your heart out on this one. 😂

Track #3, City County, City, is a fantastic example of spectacular quad. This is definitely a demo cut for your system. And seriously jazz, not what I expected.

An absolute 10 from me!
You channeled my thoughts - and vote! 🗳️

If any of you are interested, there is a dude named Dan Johnson on facebook that I am "friends" with. I'm pretty sure he did the transfers of the War stuff a few months back, as I remember him posting some tape box pix and related stuff. He is an audio transfer wizard (and a wicked cool guy) , and has transferred tons of your/my favorite records. He's also not shy about posting horror show pics of tapes in nasty shape. Recently he did a miraculous job rescuing tapes from a legendary Boston hardcore band, and the before and after pics have to be seen to be believed.

Last edited:
I think the War Quadio is the star of this bunch just cast a ten. Listening to it again. An album that completely escaped me and never would have looked for it if not for Quadio.
Every bundle has had a surprise star for me.
While Paranoid is the undisputed for me gold I was blown away how good the J Geils is.
Last bunch the Mingus really moved me...

What surprise will the next bundle bring?

I usually don't join in on rating Quadio releases, as years of hot rodding and time at the range , my hearing is subpar......... BUT

WAR is a complete 10 to me. Heck, even if it was only a stereo mix, I'd give it a 10 because it makes me smile everytime I hear it

I wasn't as familiar with this album as it seems I should be. This is in fact a very accomplished quad mix! Just the initial impression hearing the quad balance and motion between the instruments across the 4 corners is impressive sounding. Folding this down to stereo would be an immediate loss and a mistake.

As usual with these Quadio releases, the mastering sounds really on point! No hint of anything wrong. No telltales or artifacts of any kind of mistakes. Wish every digital release sounded like these!

Back