Exploring Billboard for Quadraphonic Information

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that rule still exists. I don't think that stations are allowed to oversaturate late at night anymore. Ann Murray got a lot of airplay and won a lot of "Juno" awards, I think that she got tired of the whole thing as well and started to snub the awards ceremony. Bryan Adams and many other Canadian artists that are lesser known in US were definitely overplayed.

I strongly disagreed with the rule when it first came out, I remember Susan Jacks (Poppy Family) in a radio feature voicing her displeasure about the new rule as well. Susan (and Terry) wanted to be played because they were good not because they were Canadian!

At the time of that ruling there was a surge of excellent Canadian talent, I don't know if it was a coincidence or if helped/caused by the rule. There was so much new good stuff back then that I don't remember anything being overplayed until the eighties. The content percentage was upped over the years making the situation worse causing the oversaturation.

Powerhouse CKLW broke a lot of Canadian talent into the US market during that early period.

Canadian records, singles at least started to carry the MAPL logo a circle quartered with black and white letters indicating Canadian content based on four categories.

MAPL System Canadian Content
The CRTC instituted the CanCon ruling because of CKLW. They weren't giving enough airtime to Canadian artists, and being a border station, they could help give Canadian artists exposure in the States. The problem was that they couldn't institute a policy for just one station. There were several other border stations that also contributed to the situation; CKGM in Montreal, CHUM in Toronto, CKLG and CFUN in Vancouver; all crossed the border with their signals, and simply weren't programming enough Canadian content. CanCon also had implications for TV. too.

June 9, 1973

JVC to Help 'Q' Dealers Sell Discrete Via $10 Set Of Promotional CD-4 LP's

LOS ANGELES
-
JVC America, the U.S. arm of Victor Company of Japan, is packaging 45,000 albums from RCA Records. Warner Bros. Records, Elektra Records, Atlantic Records, and the Japanese label JVC Records and will sell them to hardware dealers to use to promote discrete quadrasonic. Jim Mochizuki, head of the new cutting master center here for quadrasonic CD-4 records, said that the firm will put seven albums together and the cost to a dealer per package will be $IO.
“The idea for this came from Bill Kist, vice president of hi-fi. But I'm putting the packages together," Mochizuki said. "There'll be 6,500 sets in all and we'll probably put two RCA albums, two albums from the WEA group. and three JVC albums in each package. Between the time of the coming Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago and Christmas, every dealer will have these packages."
Mainly, the packages of albums will be used for demonstrating discrete quadrasonic in stores. However, an underlying reason for JVC America packaging the albums for hardware dealers is that the firm wants to help eliminate consumer confusion at the dealer level about quadrasonic.
It's most important at this point to not confuse the consumer about what quadrasonic really is. There's a definite trend toward discrete in Japan, while here in the U.S. we're still in the kindergarten stage."

June 9, 1973

First WEA 'Q' Albums
Slated for Japan

By HIDEO EGUCHI

TOKYO
-
The first three compatible discrete 4-chan-nel (CD-4) disks to be custom-pressed in Japan by Warner-Pioneer from WEA Group master recordings are scheduled for nationwide release here July 25, the American-Japanese joint venture disclosed last week.
Although the titles of the three CD-4 albums projected for initial release here have not been selected to date, Tetsu Aoyagi, vice president, artists and repertoire operations, told Billboard May 28 that they are expected to feature Frank Sinatra and his Reprise recording of "My Way," the Mystic Moods and the vocal/ instrumental group's Warner Bros. recording of "Cosmic Sea" or "Awakening" and a rock album by Bread, the Elektra recording group,
Warner-Pioneer, as a member of the Japan Phonograph Record Association, is expected to adopt the same retail pricing system agreed among the five manufacturers who have produced CD-4 Quadradiscs in Japan, namely Victor Musical Industries, Nippon Phonogram, Polydor, Teichiku Records and Toshiba Musical Industries.
Earlier, Jushiro Matsuda, managing director of Warner-Pioneer, told Billboard that no further SQ matrix record production was contemplated by his company. It has released 27 SQ quadrasonic albums to date.

June 9, 1973

SQ 'Q' Service Slated by KAA

ALLENTOWN, Pa.
-
KAA Productions, syndication firm here, is working closely with CBS Labs in Stamford, Conn. and is planning to introduce a complete SQ quadrasonic programming package for national distribution in August, according to president John Kiernan.
Jay Mitchell is new operations manager of the firm, John Sandt is director of sales.
The automation package, believed to be the first totally quadrasonic such programming service, will feature four six-hour air personality shows each day, seven days a week. The package starts with an initial library of 156 hours and 96 hours of up-dated programming each month.
Mitchell said the library already includes better than 5,000 SQ-en-coded selections.
Other programming packages will become available as of July, with a country music package ready by September.

1694639132274.jpeg

June 9, 1973

Panasonic Technics:
New Audiophile Line

NEW YORK
-
In a move designed to establish itself as a major producer of high fidelity compo-nents. Panasonic has developed and released its Technics line of high end component equipment designed for the audiophile.
The Technics line includes eight receivers ranging in price from $199.95 to $599.95: five open reel tape machines at fair trade prices ranging from $329.95 to $899.95; five stereo cassette decks with price tags from $189.95 to $499.95: a line of three direct drive turntables from $269.95 to $369.95; and a set of 4-channel headphones,
Seven of the eight Technics receivers are 4-channel units and four of them feature BTL circuitry or power bridging for total power capability when used in the two-chan-nel mode. They also include output-transformerless, output capacitorless direct-coupled amplifiers for outstanding low-frequency perform-ance, according to Panasonic spokesmen.
The entire line of Technics open reel machines feature what officials of the company call an exclusive hot-pressed ferrite head for outstanding fidelity and durability.
They also include a 4-channel deck and a professional deck that can handle 10-inch reels.
The five Technics stereo cassette decks all include Dolby noise reduction circuitry and tape selector switches for conventional or chromium dioxide tapes. Selected units have hot-pressed ferrite heads, and a two-motor system. including the electronically controlled direct drive motor for outstanding wow and flutter characteristics.
In the Technics line there is an
8-track cartridge deck with facilities for the record and playback of discrete 4-channel sound. The unit, which can also be used as a two channel deck lists for $279.95.
The line's three direct-drive turntables eliminate parts that wear, according to Panasonic's technicians, and maintain high performance while eliminating such problems as hum, rumble, vibrations wow and flutter.
Also included in the Technics line is a 4-channel Audio scope that provides visual patterns of all four channels simultaneously on an "X" pattern. Each channel can also be viewed separately.

Lately, I’ve been going meticulously through each magazine issue from about summer 1972 to summer ‘73 looking for any articles that even mentioned 4-channel sound. I’m fairly certain I already posted this one below. So far, I didn’t see any BB special Quad issue (like there was for ‘72 and ‘73) after 1973. One thing for sure, surround sound for the consumer has always been with us since the era. Anyway, there’s still a ton of stuff to go through..

July 28, 1973
1694651933781.jpeg

The puzzling dual inventory/where to stock quad in the record stores issue.

The record cos. could have said handle the quad versions the same way the stereo versions were handled during the mono -> stereo transition era, the article didn't mention that that was even thought of.

I must be missing something, it seems so simple...

Kirk Bayne

I believe the real problem was everybody was afraid to commit.

Doug

The mono LP -> stereo LP transition - IMHO, the record companies were muddling through with dual inventory, somehow, in the early days of the transition, they managed to make stereo albums that listeners were actually interested in buying (IIRC, jazz and classical music) and the record stores were able to stock them in such a way that the buyers interested in stereo LPs were able to find them.

I think this dual inventory topic has been exhausted. :)

Kirk Bayne

I am really interested in how you did it. I could never get it to work right.

Well, I have never done anything special or 'magical" I just use equipment designed for CD-4 and follow the rules. The final procedure which resulted in real success was making adjustments to tracking and anti-skate adjustment was the most effective. Finding the correct setting eliminated the sandpaper and "explosive" encounters with scratches or dirt.

It just all dropped into place after that and actually, contrary to conventional thinking, my CD-4 records seem to improve, as far as trouble-free playing, the more they are played. My copy of Hugo Montenegro's Godfather theme record is not in the best condition. It has a slight pinch warp and it is obvious some previous owner used a brush to clean it (probably carbon fiber) that left small, swirly scratches on the entire record. I did have issues with it when I first played it but the issues have pretty much disappeared after several plays and it now plays fine with all of my cartridges and both demodulators.

I have met with skepticism several times in this forum but I am not making anything up.

Doug

This article comes from a special session about audio industry in Japan from the December 11, 1971 issue.
————————————
1694682904677.jpeg

A new experience: 4-channel sound.

December 11, 1971

QUADRASONIC SOUND MEANS NEW CHALLENGES AND NEW OPPORTUNITIES

MOST MANUFACTURERS WON'T ADMIT
they desperately needed it, but the Japanese audio equipment industry has found its lucky four-leaf clover in the shape and sound of four-channel stereo. And just in time.
Sales of Japanese high fidelity equipment at home and abroad have soared in the last decade, and as the market expanded in the mid-1960's, so did the role of the sound industry in the country's overall economic picture. Most of the leading manufacturers banked heavily on the continued glowing health of the hi-fi market and made substantial capital investments in plant facilities, distribution and sales networks abroad. Throughout the late 1960's the makers of high quality tape recorders, tuners, speakers, stereo amplifiers and players were riding a mounting wave of demand for their superior-line products, while the Japanese OEM manufacturers and gadeteers were busily building profit pyramids in the car stereo field, portable cassette players, low cost modular units and other mass-appeal audio electronics.
The introduction of four-channel stereo- which actually began in Japan in 1970 with Sansui's "quadralizer"-came at the peak of Japanese success in the audio world. Sales of hi-fi equipment were still growing, but not at the rate they had enjoyed in 1968-1969.
The market was showing signs of leveling off in 1970 and early '71 and top makers like Sony, Pioneer, Trio, Sansui and others were stressing quality and innovation with an eye toward heading off an expected slowdown, at least in terms of continued growth.
Then in July of this year came the news that America—Japan's major market-was retreating into what most Japanese consider an era of protectionism. The 10 percent import surcharge and the floating of the dollar (with resulting pressures on the Japanese yen), have dramatically changed the outlook of the Japanese audio equipment industry.
This is not to imply that four-channel stereo is Japan's last hope to maintain its role in the audio equipment world.
It does mean, however, a promise of a new challenge for the industry.
There are problems to be sure. The most obvious is the question of matrix-versus discrete systems; some equipment manufacturers favor one or the other, while other makers are covering all bases by designing equipment capable of handling both. There is also a shortage of four-channel software, although this problem is rapidly being lessened through the efforts of RCA Victor, CBS/Sony, Columbia, Toshiba and several other record and tape manufacturers who, in cooperation with their foreign licensors, are stepping up their releases of software designed for four channel playback.
Sansui has no direct ties with any software producers in Japan or abroad.
Yet statistics show that their "quadralizer" series of hardware is among the best-selling equipment of its kind in the world. Following the October, 1970, announcement of their "quadphonic Synthesizer QS-1," they have continued to introduce new products in the line, including an encoder/decoder series for use by recording studios,
FM radio broadcasters, and other professional or semi-pro users.
Their system is not unique, but it has captured the imagination of users in Japan and abroad and helped dispel the feeling that a synthesizer is a "pseudo" four-channel approach.
Sansui engineers claim that four-channel systems using "logic" circuits cannot be used in true high fidelity systems. But this point is strongly argued by Sony which is producing the "SQ" four-channel series in partnership with CBS. The "SQ" is a matrix system employing logic-circuit technology developed by the CBS Labs in the U.S.
According to Sony president Akio Morita, his company is solidly committed to the SQ system which, as mentioned, is a matrix system. The Victor Company of Japan, on the other hand, is the leading advocate of the discrete system and believes as do a few others in the industry—that it will be the four-channel sound standard of the future.
Victor's "CD-4" system was largely developed at their experimental labortory near Tokyo. Unlike the Sony and other matrix systems, it is not compatible with two-channel systems, as it requires a special pickup cartridge.
Victor argues that the matrix systems used by their competitors do not afford the true separation required to produce effective four-channel sound fields.
Victor of Japan and its associate companies are stepping up the production of "CD-4" software in the Japanese and foreign markets.
Aside from Sony-CBS's "SQ" and Victor's "CD-4" systems, which appear to be the major contenders for the favored pole position in the four-chan-nel race, other Japanese audio equipment makers have introduced systems of their own. In addition to the Sansui "SQ" line, here are several others: Toshiba's "QM," Sanyo's "Quadsonic Control System," Trio's "QR," Matsushita's "RS," Hitachi's "Ambiomatrix System," Mitsubishi's "QM," Pioneer's "Phase Shift Quadralizer," and new systems by TEAC, Onkyo, Toyo, Nippon Columbia, and most other major and minor manufacturers.
From the Japanese point of view, the state of the art in four-channel hardware is just beginning to reach definable proportions. Audio fans can expect continued advances in the quality and selection of Japan-made four-channel hardware over the next few years.
Although there are few positive indications of it at present, it's even possible that the question of compatibility between matrix and discrete systems may be resolved by agreements between the advocates of each.
Meanwhile, despite this basic obstacle, the Japanese audio industry is looking "fourward" to maintaining its reputation as a productive high fidelity equipment supplier.

1694683008535.jpeg

Couple hears surround sound in a mobile setting.

July 19, 1975

SQ Blitzes New York
FM Media

BY STEPHEN TRAIMAN

NEW YORK
-
With five metro area FM stations adopting the CBS SQ method of quad broadcasting.
"New York is now an SQ town," the Society of Broadcast Engineers was told at its monthly meeting last week by Gerald Budelman, SQ project manager for the CBS Technology Center. Stamford. Conn.
He identified the five as:
• WQIV, progressive rock station which switched its 24-hour quad programming from the QS system and is in process of being sold by Starr Broadcasting to GAF, with a projected return to its original classical format.
• WRVR. home of jazz in the city which pioneered live SQ remotes from the Village Gate and the Newport Jazz Festival launch at Shepheard's, being sought for purchase by Sonderling Broadcasting, with a projected mix of r&b and jazz.
• WHLL, Hempstead, Long Island's first 24-hour quad station which will continue its "beautiful music” format when it changes to WIOK July 21.
• WNYC, municipal broadcast facility, which has been broadcasting SQ recordings for some time, featuring "good music" and public affairs programming.
• WQXR, New York Times-owned and now is installing encoding equipment as part of station expansion to quad program origination capability.
"We feel a milestone has been reached with SQ programming at five stations in the key New York market," comments Ben Bauer, head of the Technology Center, and also the developer of the system.
Budelman told the Society that more than 400 FM stations are now being serviced with SQ records by CBS. Bauer clarifies that about 55 to 60 have SQ encoders to both originate live SQ programming and enhance stereo disks for broadcast to SQ receivers.
Bauer explains that the CBS
Technology Center policy has been to distribute encoders to stations for purchase after a trial period, with at least 55 making it "a permanent part of their operations. Some also have a second for their production center in addition to the transmitter."
Although admitting the other 340-plus stations now being serviced with SQ product are likely prospects for an encoder, "we feel no need to force the issue," he says. "Many are only broadcasting in quad a few hours a week, but as their desires increase, they respond to our regular mailings offering the encoder, and Budelman follows up the requests."
Designed by the CBS Technology Center in cooperation with Sony which manufactures the SQE-2000 encoder in Japan, it is distributed in the U.S. by CBS. "One of the values is that the encoder has microphone as well as line level inputs," he notes.
"It has a mixing panel so the station can originate its quad programs without having to purchase a 4-channel mixing board."
Meanwhile, the Sansui QS camp also has been active with another seven FM stations getting quad encoders in the last few weeks to bring the total in the U.S. and Canada to more than 70, according to Jerry LeBow, QS coordinator for Sansui at the Frank Barth Agency.
Newest QS broadcast outlets include WRDR, South Bend, Ind.; CHOM, Montreal; KFMK, Houston; KSJO, San Jose, Calif.; WDCX, Buffalo, N.Y.; WHWN, Bay City, Mich.; WGNW, Riviera Beach, Fla.; and WRQR, Farmville, N.C.
With purchase orders now on the books, LeBow expects that close to 100 FM stations will be broadcasting with QS encoders by year end.

June 7, 1975

The New Discrete-Matrix Detente

By EARL PAIGE

Thinking about quad is changing on many fronts, but perhaps as significant as any is the new detente reached by proponents of CD-4 discrete and those boosting matrix SQ and QS, but particularly the CBS matrix SQ, according to John Eargle.
Eargle was interviewed at the recent Audio Engineering Society Los Angeles convention, which he headed up as AES president, and which has over the years been a battleground for quad concepts. The detente he speaks of is one of CD-4 finally acknowledging this system does nothing for enhancing stereo and therefore concentrating on CD-4's strong points.
CBS and Sansui are by the same token stressing stereo enhancement. Did CD-4 deliberately remain ambiguous on its ability to enhance? "No, it is just that not until recently has CD-4 had a unifying voice," says Eagle, whose ME Associates represents the quad positions of RCA Records, Warner Communications, JVC Cut; ting Center and Panasonic. "Where the matrix system really shines, however, is in its ability to enhance standard stereo records." is the way it's put in the new CD-4 Handbook that will have, in CD-4's biggest push ever, wide hotel room circulation at CES.
If CD-4 is allowing matrix the concession of enhancement, it still lambasts matrix for lack of quad separation: " ... unless your matrix quadraphonic home equipment has full logic circuitry (and less than 20 percent of the products made today do), channel separation can drop to as low as 3 dB.... That's very close to being monaural sound," argues the Handbook, and Eargle, whose ambitious CES plans include the impossible update of which amplifiers have which.
JME has one engineer that scouts every amplifier maneufacturer. The last report shows only a half dozen amplifiers with both CD-4 and SQ full logic and none with CD-4, full logic SQ and QS Variomatrix, latter being the ultimate in matrix channel separation. Asked if the promise of the "ultimate amplifier" with CD-4, full logic and Variomatrix doesn't set up an expectance of obsolescence in consumers, Eagle says it could seem so. But he adds that there will probably always be something more to come, for example, what about CD-4, full logic, Variomatrix and UD-4?
Well, not much is heard about UD-4, though this fourth darkhorse system was exhibiting at AES. Its spokesmen take pot shots at both discrete and matrix: "Compared with the matrix system, the discrete system has superior localization but poor sound quality overall. But both of these systems have their problems which have blunted artists' enthusiasm for (quad)."
Eargle says JME's main thrust will be inspiring producers and artists and says further that "the numbers game is over," that is, both CD-4 and matrix (principally CBS and SQ licensees) have enough software. The question now: "What current artists do you have in quad?"

Many of us just zip to "What's New" when we visit & bypass the main front page. If you do that then you're missing some great permalinks to sites & info. One of these is listed as "Quadraphonic Info" created by @Old Quad Guy the originator of this Billboard quad thread.

http://www.quadraphonic.info/
Check it out. It doesn't look like it's had any updates in long time but there is still a boat load of useful info that just might be what you're looking for.

Thanks OQG, for all your contributions!

Lately, I’ve been going meticulously through each magazine issue from about summer 1972 to summer ‘73 looking for any articles that even mentioned 4-channel sound. I’m fairly certain I already posted this one below. So far, I didn’t see any BB special Quad issue (like there was for ‘72 and ‘73) after 1973. One thing for sure, surround sound for the consumer has always been with us since the era. Anyway, there’s still a ton of stuff to go through..

July 28, 1973
View attachment 96252

50 years ago and there's still two of them functioning in my SH-400!

Doug

Back