Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it's not the original mix. It was a work-in-progress mix created for the band to listen to and review and was never intended to represent a final mix. The original mix was on the official release and is still the only stereo mix.
True, however after wearing out my original stereo LP I re-bought, by which time the only version available was the SQ. This LP played on a normal stereo sounded quite different to the original. It was the only version available for quite some time, at least in Australia.

Last edited:
For those of you in Oz, or near Brisbane specifically, my daughter (who lives there) sent me this, though I imagine it might be touring other capital cities:

Pink Floyd The Dark Side Of The Moon Planetarium Experience

Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium, Mt Coot-tha | Until March​

On 27 February, 1973, Pink Floyd’s new album The Dark Side Of The Moon debuted at the London Planetarium. Now, 50 years later, the iconic album is being celebrated with a series of planetarium shows across the globe, and one of them will be right here in Brisbane. Showing at the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium in Mt Coot-tha from now until March 2024, The Dark Side Of The Moon Planetarium Experience will combine breath-taking visuals of the solar system with Pink Floyd’s spectacular music in surround sound. Tickets start from $16 and you can grab them here."

For those of you in Oz, or near Brisbane specifically, my daughter (who lives there) sent me this, though I imagine it might be touring other capital cities:

On 27 February, 1973, Pink Floyd’s new album The Dark Side Of The Moon debuted at the London Planetarium. Now, 50 years later, the iconic album is being celebrated with a series of planetarium shows across the globe, and one of them will be right here in Brisbane. Showing at the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium in Mt Coot-tha from now until March 2024, The Dark Side Of The Moon Planetarium Experience will combine breath-taking visuals of the solar system with Pink Floyd’s spectacular music in surround sound. Tickets start from $16 and you can grab them here."

I had the chance to see it a the Montréal Planetarium (my wife bought tickets for the whole family because she knew I liked the Dark Side Of The Moon and that the kids sometimes like Pink Floyd). It's currently playing at the SAT (Société des Arts Technologique) in Montréal.

I noticed there are a few live DSOTM concert releases coming up, that I assume already existed as boots, but it looks like they are getting official releases now?

2 examples:

https://burningshed.com/artists/pinkfloyd/pink-floyd_any-colour-you-like-live-in-frankfurt_2cd
https://burningshed.com/artists/pinkfloyd/pink-floyd_breathe-in-the-air-live-at-the-dome_cd
If you lookup the catalog numbers, you'll see they are unofficial bootlegs
Well what's all that about? It appears they are "harvesting" someone elses work & selling it for a profit?
I suspect thats because they are now out of copyright, as over 50 years old so recorded in 1972, and so the bootlegs can be released by anyone with a tape :(. I bought a Dave Gilmour and a Genesis live thinking they were official releases, and the sound quality is dire. Avoid for more than one reason!

I suspect thats because they are now out of copyright, as over 50 years old so recorded in 1972, and so the bootlegs can be released by anyone with a tape :(. I bought a Dave Gilmour and a Genesis live thinking they were official releases, and the sound quality is dire. Avoid for more than one reason!
Nick Mason was once quoted as saying he has a couple of Floyd bootlegs so he can remind himself from time to time how terrible most of them sound.

The 50 years copyright is common in many countries but not universal worldwide.

I thought PF officially ( & temporarily ) released all those boots on youtube a couple years ago, specifically to retain copyright over them?
A lot of bands did that. The Beatles released a load of stuff including B sides for one day on Apple Music to retain copyright and then withdrew them, which is a pretty cynical thing to do. Either release it and leave it available, or don't release it at all is my view.

A lot of bands did that. The Beatles released a load of stuff including B sides for one day on Apple Music to retain copyright and then withdrew them, which is a pretty cynical thing to do. Either release it and leave it available, or don't release it at all is my view.
I'm probably confused but is it PF - The Band?
I thought they sold all the copyrights or something like that?
I don't understand these dang legal, suite & tie, things ???
And I believe we're not supposed to, that's their plan. :mad:

Lol; now I feel special; I have to be one of the only Brisbane-ites on this forum. Cheers for the tip! lol

Please let us know how it goes. I'm in a similar boat.
It went great. Speakers came with a template for the holes and speakers had a unique way to simply secure themselves. Here are the ones I bought.

Klipsch CDT-5650-C II In-Ceiling Speaker - White (Each) https://a.co/d/hiI4RfN

Everything sounds great!

Back