Steven Wilson XTC - The Big Express (Steven Wilson Surround mixes coming in September!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guitar Nerd Alert!
This video popped up today.
A cheery Andy Partridge running through alternate guitar tuning examples used on Big Express.

Strums chord: "That's E Joni Mitchell"
0:00 Introduction
1:15 Train Running Low on Soul Coal
14:25 This World Over
17:57 I Bought Myself a Liarbird
21:00 All You Pretty Girls

That's brilliant! In fact, it's part of 4-part (so far) interview--other parts linked below. The interviewer is British jazz-rock guitarist Chanan Hanspal, who's been a sideman for a number of big names, teaches at Anglia Ruskin University (one of the "post-1992" former polytechnics), and has a sizeable discography as a composer & bandleader.

Pretty fascinating series, and a good complement to Andy's book Complicated Game: Inside the Songs of XTC (highly recommended). As @~dave~~wave~ implied: Andy seems to have mellowed a bit!

Last edited:
I had ordered this through Amazon U.K. and just got a note saying my delivery estimate (to the U.S.) has been pushed out a bit to between October 9 and October 12. Can’t recall what the earlier estimate was.

Not a huge delay and I don’t think it means the title itself is delayed, but I did cancel the order and placed one from Burning Shed which is still listing a release date of 9/22. Amazon U.K. says 9/29.

This via teaseSDEshop:
20230922_145358.jpg

Received mine today from Burningshed.com

Playing the Atmos mixes as I type.

Steve had a lot of fun with this release from XTC

Be prepared for all your senses to be on overload.

Sitting here with a big smile on my face from ear 👂 to ear 👂

I wonder if the previous releases will get Steve's Atmos treatment, I certainly hope so.

Man, he's a master of his art.

I wonder if the previous releases will get Steve's Atmos treatment, I certainly hope so.

Umm… did you mean to say senses working overtime?

Mine has arrived from the Shed with a signed Big Express postcard, not sure who signed it!

I reckon it's Colin Mouldings signature , Duncan

https://pin.it/66vyouC
Yep definitely Colin's Scrawl defacing the postcard.

What would really love is the 1st Two albums with a Barry Andrews signature.

What do people do with these signed postcards? I have a couple of photo album with all the postcards I have acquired over the years one with signed ones one with unsigned.

Back