Steven Wilson XTC - The Big Express (Steven Wilson Surround mixes coming in September!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be my first XTC purchase. But “Steven Wilson” (for Atmos) and “instrumentals” (in general) will get me just about every time.

Debating who to order from, though. I’m usually good with Burning Shed, but there’s not an inexpensive tracking option this time. And I love the work Paul does with SDE, but sometimes it seems things take longer to arrive than they do with Shed or Amazon.

Decisions, decisions.

This will be my first XTC purchase. But “Steven Wilson” (for Atmos) and “instrumentals” (in general) will get me just about every time.

Debating who to order from, though. I’m usually good with Burning Shed, but there’s not an inexpensive tracking option this time. And I love the work Paul does with SDE, but sometimes it seems things take longer to arrive than they do with Shed or Amazon.

Decisions, decisions.
Drums an Wires is an all time favorite of mine. Check it out if you like this new one.

Decisions, decisions.
I have never tracked my purchases with Burning Shed and have never had an issue, but my address is pretty secure from thieves. I sometimes wonder how they would handle a lost package, but thankfully I haven’t ever needed to test their customer service.

I don’t worry about thieves. I use a PO Box for a lot of shipments, so packages are secure once they arrive. (Although about a month ago USPS did manage to lose something inside my local office which took them about a week to find.)

I think it’s more of an issue of the constant wondering of whether it’s close, is still in another country, whether USPS has “lost” it once it gets in the states, etc. This would probably be a good test case for non-tracking. It’s not an expensive or limited box set.

If I don’t see an Amazon link soon, I’ll probably go with Burning Shed. Everything with them has always been really solid.

Drums an Wires is an all time favorite of mine. Check it out if you like this new one.
...and by the same token, don't write them off if this one doesn't do it for you. I was pretty cold to D&W at first, but gave the series another chance with Nonsuch and loved it. There's quite a difference between the late-70s/early-80s sound to everything from Skylarking onwards.

...and by the same token, don't write them off if this one doesn't do it for you. I was pretty cold to D&W at first, but gave the series another chance with Nonsuch and loved it. There's quite a difference between the late-70s/early-80s sound to everything from Skylarking onwards.
I felt the same about D&W but now I love it.

Decisions, decisions.
Always loved this one, below, maybe sample some of the tunes to see if you like it.

A good time for me to reacquaint myself to it :)

https://www.discogs.com/release/14279500-XTC-As-The-Dukes-Of-Stratosphear-Psurroundabout-Ride

Always loved this one, below, maybe sample some of the tunes to see if you like it.

A good time for me to reacquaint myself to it :)

https://www.discogs.com/release/14279500-XTC-As-The-Dukes-Of-Stratosphear-Psurroundabout-Ride
I had sampled some XTC before, but it didn’t grab me at the time. Not really a fair test when it’s a quick sample, though.

But when I saw this one, I went through it a bit and found there was some stuff I was latching onto.

So yeah... looking forward this one, and I need to spend a bit more time with the other albums that others have mentioned here.

So cool to be discovering “new” artists like this that I totally missed/ignored at the time. (Toss in the upcoming Fish bookset that’s coming as another example.)

I've loved them for a long time (got into them via a buddy, back in the D&W era). Then came Black Sea and I was hooked for life. Their earlier stuff (pre D&W) is pretty British Punk style, with some nice pop hooks. Then from Black Sea into English Settlement (their masterpiece) they went quite acoustic, almost a trobaudour sound to mix in with their pop rock sensibilities, and kept that acoustic vice in Mummer. To me Big Express is not the album to "get into XTC" but sometimes we have no choices. :)

XTC is a brilliant band and they get better the older I get. There are a lot of bands out there who do or did The Beatles thing. Most don't do it well, some do it well occasionally. XTC is the only band who out-Beatles-ed the actual Beatles. If one is to assume that The Beatles would have continued to evolve and progress and still sound like The Beatles (that's a big assumption because most bands either stagnate or change), then XTC's output is the logical extension of that sound and brilliance. Partridge's voice isn't for everybody, but god their songwriting is just impeccable. Genius is an overused description, but accurate in this case.

Back