King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I did not "miss it".

The proof lies in the pudding.

The outcome of his work sounds good, regardless of where he places his Genelec.

Just to be pedantic, this saying is really 'The proof of the pudding is [in] the eating'. Which expresses even better what you mean here.

I saw him with his own band in '78 or '79 and '80 at the roxy in hollywood. Allan Holdsworth played in the first tour and then guitarist John Clark. Bruford was fantastic and played the roto-tom set. I saw him with UK in '78 as well. My cousin work on the shows for the west coast - UK opened for Al Di Meola I think.

I saw KC at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles in 81 and 82. Couldn't make the 84 show. Saw him with AWBH in the early 90's sometime with the big Simmons set. Tony Levin got sick and Jeff Berlin played. I also saw him on the Yes Union tour as well as more recently with Earthworks and Patrick Moraz.

So, none of you guys saw his Earthworks bands? Those were some fantastic shows too over the years.

Just to be pedantic, this saying is really 'The proof of the pudding is [in] the eating'. Which expresses even better what you mean here.

The honest to goodness real saying is "the proof is in the putting." As in, put it to the test to prove it. This dates back to Aristotle's time and expresses even more better what was meant.

If I was in the music mixing business and I saw Steven Wilson's set up, and Steven was strapped upsidedown to the ceiling with his gear tied to the ceiling, I would tie my gear to the ceiling and strap myself up there with it in hopes of achieving a close second to what he is producing.

The man has got the golden ear.

The honest to goodness real saying is "the proof is in the putting." As in, put it to the test to prove it. This dates back to Aristotle's time and expresses even more better what was meant.

er...no, it isn't and no, it doesn't.

But if we want to get fanciful, maybe the phrase was invented by Scotsmen, along with golf.

I have seen Bill Bruford several times and once with National Health in Nottingham in 1975 or 76. Proof that it was a great concert is that I don't seem to remember much, except a VERY good time.

:)

Looking forward to these releases though if I have to strap my system and myself to the ceiling in order to enjoy them at their finest, i will have to pass, though I am willing to consider it for Lark's Tongue's in Aspic, if that is what it will take.

Almen said:
I was listening to this just the other day, and you are absolutely right! Wonderfully subtle percussion from Muir combined with Cross' delicate violin in the beginning, and then the onslaught of the full group with two drumkits and the thundering bass of Wetton. Wow... I have a DVD from German TV with the full band playing this tune. Great to see Jamie Muir live!

This album is for me a bit overshadowed by The Court, Red, and Discipline, and I forget what a great album it is.
Your kidding, right?

Lark's Tongues is my absolute favorite. You want overshadowed? I was listening to Islands last night, the japanese paper sleeve version and was totally awed!! Perhaps one filler tune but I forgot how great of an album Islands is.

I am psyched about Lark's Tongues, Starless, Lizard and now Islands though I must say that the CD sounded pretty darn good.

Well, Islands is not in the "overshadowed" category for me. Still waiting to discover that one... :rolleyes:

SW gave some further details in an interview published this month in the French ROCK HARD magazine :

- re-issues will be released by pairs, starting sometime in the spring
- albums remixed will be ITCOCK --> Three Of A Perfect Pair
- there will be bonuses like the Genesis

The interview doesn't say on which format (DVD-V+SACD like Genesis or DVD-A) all of this will be released, but if Neil is involved... then we know the answer :)

SW gave some further details in an interview published this month in the French ROCK HARD magazine :

- re-issues will be released by pairs, starting sometime in the spring
- albums remixed will be ITCOCK --> Three Of A Perfect Pair
- there will be bonuses like the Genesis

The interview doesn't say on which format (DVD-V+SACD like Genesis or DVD-A) all of this will be released, but if Neil is involved... then we know the answer :)

I give up, what's the answer??

Not to get into any debates but I have always preferred the sound of DVD-A to SACD, vocals and midrange seems smoother and creamier. I would like to avoid the cluster-fck that the Genesis set seems to have become between the formats. I can just hope that it will be in hi rez DVD-A or SACD and not a DTS surround thing.

Bonus material sounds great as well. the albums themselves were a little on the short side, par for the day but I am sure there is an interesting bit or two that could be dug up.

So, hoping for DVD-A and I am thinking that is what it will be since the Porcupine Tree stuff has come out on DVD-A, right?

AND hoping they will come out soon, won't be soon enough for me!

They will be DVD-A and there is even a DVD-A category in the on-line Discipline store.

March 2009 was quoted in Sound & Vision as the release date for first pair to appear (Red & Lizard). If this were accurate, there would be pre-order links up by now and I haven't seen any.

It may slip a little time-wise but they are definitely happening and I'm pleased beyond recognition! (my copyrighted lyric)

I will buy Red, just because....

Not my favorite.

I will buy Lizard just because...

It is AWESOME!!

Certainly there is a track or two that misses the mark but it is filled with cool stuff, and in surround it will be a total mind melt.

I remember buying it in high school, I bought it and Pink Floyd Umma Gumma. I was a poor un-enlightened kid and the first time I listened to Lizard I though "WTF?????"

I guess it will be soon!

Red is a classic record by a group of musicans at or near the top of their game. That album is still a favorite of many fans today and strong influence to many later musicians. They tend to play Red far more often than say, Prince Rupert Awakes.

Lizard has some rewarding moments but at the end of the day is much farther down on the music history radar. By Gorden Haskill's own account, he ran screaming from the mind-numbing experience of the Lizard recording sessions. It was a commitee more than a band and they were not liking each other by this point.

To each his own; the only sane proposition is to buy them all. :)

Have to say I was never very enamored by Lizard or Islands. Red is brutal, dark and minimalist (for Crimson anyway). The band at their strongest but ready to implode.

Rick

Have to say I was never very enamored by Lizard or Islands. Red is brutal, dark and minimalist (for Crimson anyway). The band at their strongest but ready to implode.

Rick

Well they did implode. I had 4th row seats at the Arie Crown Theater and they broke up like 4 days before the show.

I was a freshman in college in 1973. Red sounded worn and tired and not very creative to those ears when it came out. My faves are Islands, Lizard, Larks's Tongues (by far) court of the Crimson King (though it lacks in sound quality for me, perhaps these DVD-As will fix taht) and Starless.

You are right I think. Red presages the industrial bent that Crimson would follow in later years.

but in college I spent many a wild night with those albums....

:banana:

:sun

(I guess this emoticon just might be orange sunshine?)

Will probably buy them all, but I will have to think long and hard about Wake of Poseidon, I haven't listened to that one for a while. and I would give Islands another shot.

Simon

You must've been listening to Lark's Tongues in 1973; Starless & Bible Black wasn't completed (live tracks are Nov '73) until early 1974. I saw them June 19th, 1974 and the last live show scheduled was 12 days later on July 1st in NYC. Red didn't appear until late in 1974 and the plug was pulled well before any further tour bookings activity occured.

Larks was a bold statement and set the standard; S&BB despite being a personal favorite was recorded "when the band's energy was at a low ebb", thus the live improvs were used to fill half the album. Red was a more focused effort to regain the standard and contains some of their best work. Fripp proposed that the band could continue without him and Ian McDonald in his place. Management wouldn't buy the premise so that was it.

Strictly opinion with band history reading interlaced...

Well they did implode. I had 4th row seats at the Arie Crown Theater and they broke up like 4 days before the show.

I was a freshman in college in 1973. Red sounded worn and tired and not very creative to those ears when it came out.....

I can shed light here. Wagstaff and I met Sept 73 as freshman at a small, liberal arts college. He happened by my room one afternoon as i played 'Larks Tongue' and says he, "I don't go in for sound effects records much". I knew there was going to be an education in Liberal Art for this scalawag. As you can see, he turned out rather well and he did, in fact, much later point my way to hi-rez surround recordings, a party which I might of missed but was only late to. sorry about the Broken English but I digress and tangentate. Red came later of course, I think it was the summer before we travelled to the UK for a year of Education and Adventure.

He and I were to attend the show in question and were quite upset. I even called Fripp a f*cker. Ahh, Youth! But all is forgiven now, I applaud his effort to share the many fine concert recordings and the effort to rerelease his recordings in hi-rez surround. Hats off and deep bow, sir!

I still wish he would have kept the band together just another week ;-)

ge

Back