HiRez Poll King Crimson - LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC (50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION) [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of King Crimson - LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC (50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new 50th anniversary edition of the classic King Crimson album "Larks' Tongues in Aspic".
Originally remixed in 5.1 surround by Steven Wilson in 2012, this 50th anniversary edition features brand new remixes from Steven Wilson in both 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos.

(y) :) (n)

61VQfvF7F6L._SL1200_.jpg

81lkX8KEqnL._SL1500_.jpg

Just listened to the Dolby Atmos in 7.2.4. Outstanding! It's already a multi-layered, multi-volumed album, but
Wilson's take not only expands it, but also heightens the volume differences, and in physical placement ways that come closer
as it gets louder. If you are familiar with the album, you know what that can do.

Muir's work really shines here, and I heard bits I was never aware of. My familiarity with the album was jarred
by an abrupt guitar lick to "Book of Saturday," but it worked, and the whole piece is gorgeous. "Exiles"
too benefited from what seems to have been a slower and way more drawn out beginning.

"Easy Money" has easily been my favorite tune of these, and delivers. In the "Talking Drum" I didn't notice the drums being any softer as I've read here, at least in the sense they were never really very present. When I first heard the album, I thought it was a thow-away track, but in retrospect it gave Bruford and Muir a moment. Wilson had fun with the finale, "LTIA, part 2," in an ABBEY ROAD sort of way, with the sound bouncing around at the end, and added a bit not on the original LTIA.

I rarely give 10s, but this one -- in a matching shell n' sleeve like the earlier series, and good bargain to boot --
deserves it. My go-to format for an album I actually listen to from time to time.

Last edited:
I Just listened to the Atmos as well. Good lord...... Easy Money is just nuts. The height layer is striking, and super discreet at times. So fun.....very different to my ears than the earlier 5.1 mix. So many quiet parts and you're just waiting for an explosion of loudness... but if you know the album, you can be prepared. :) 10

I guess I’ll be the first not to vote 10. This is an 8 for me.

That’s based primarily on the material. The mix is a 10.

LTIA just isn’t one of my favorite Crimson albums. Exiles and Easy Money don’t do much for me, and I run hot and cold on The Talking Drum. That’s about half the album.

From the Wetton era, I favor Red if I had to choose. If I could take my favorite songs off the three Wetton albums, I could make a mix-tape I’d be thrilled with. But as single albums, they’re a mixed bag for me. (Favorite albums are ITCOTCK, Discipline, and Thrak.)

I understand how some feel that paying for an Atmos mix is a no-go when you’re happy with your 5.1 disc. Totally understand, especially from a financial aspect.

But as I was listening to LTIA Part One, the thought I had was how could you not give Wilson more speakers to play with and not expect him to knock it out of the park, especially with a prog band? Whether it’s Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, etc... I’ll keep replacing my 5.1s with his Atmos mixes.

Even a stripped down song like Book of Saturday with Wetton so clear in the middle speaker comes across beautifully in Atmos with the instruments.

While I’m not a fan of Easy Money, this is a song where Muir gets a chance to shine in an Atmos mix. He’s the star of that song to me.

I talked about The Talking Drum in another thread. Unless you’re ready for the end of the song, it’s either heart-attack inducing or bladder-emptying if it’s cranked. Up until that point, I find it oddly meditative. Even though it continues to build, it can drag you along in kind of a trance if you let it. Until it scares the crap out of you.

I am so all in with the others that are to come. I wish they’d do a Belew-era album next, but if that earlier ad still holds true, we’ll be in the 70s for a while.

Rating: 10 out of 10

Favorite Track: Larks' Tongue in Aspic, Part Two

Best Atmos Track: Easy Money

King Crimson Studio Albums Rank: #4

The violin and the viola are the highlights on this release. They are so distinct and separate from the rest of the instruments.

This was almost like hearing the album for the first time. Steven Wilson's mix breathes a new life to an already lively album. This is a must listen in Dolby Atmos. It will definitely be demo material for me when showing off the capabilities of my sound system and DA.

Last edited:
Rating: 10 out of 10

Favorite Track: Larks' Tongue in Aspic, Part Two

Best Atmos Track: Easy Money

King Crimson Studio Albums Rank: #4

The violin and the viola are the highlights on this release. They are so distinct and separate from the rest of the instruments.

This was almost like hearing the album for the first time. Steven Wilson's mix breathes a new life to an already lively album. This is a must listen in Dolby Atmos. It will definitely be demo material for me when showing off the capabilities of my sound system and DA.
Welcome! Great first post! Your post has me wondering how you rate other King Crimson albums. If you have the time and are interested, consider posting on this THREAD: Top 5 KC releases! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

I still hold Stevens 2012 5.1 as one of his best, would be interesting to see how this new holds up, sadly I’m not Atmos-ready yet.

I still hold Stevens 2012 5.1 as one of his best, would be interesting to see how this new holds up, sadly I’m not Atmos-ready yet.
I listened to the 2012 version again and I still find the recent Atmos release to be superior. I will say there are sections in the 2012 which I prefer. An instance is the opening to Larks Part 1. Overall, the Atmos release is my go to.

[5.1 mix playback only]

Superb. Not one of my favorite or frequently played KC releases, so I'm coming in fairly objective to the material and open to whatever 'mix' SW decided to give us. I gave it a 10 on the strength of the music, included material/packaging, and the sometimes interesting and artistic surround mix. There were moments where the lowest bass notes seemed to juxtaposition the remaining elements in the song. SW seems bent on making the lowest elements in the material 'heard', and as someone who has often complained about mixing overall leaving out some of the bottom end, at times he's bordering on overcompensating in his approach (noted on his last solo album, last PT album, and now this mix).

Anyway that's a quasi rant but wanted to get that typed out as it came to me when hearing this for the first time. Lark's would have likely been a one or two and done, but I expect to actually revisit this bluray and the album based on my enjoyment of the 5.1

Back