Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For that matter, I am not sure if the 203 is up to the same standards in terms of robustness as its previous players. As for the x800, to me one major flaw I see with streaming is the lack of SMB/NFS support requiring one to use a uPnP media server. I much prefer directly playing the files from the file server.

Quality
Price
Features
Customer Service

Those are the top four another electronics manufacturer would need in order to compete with what OPPO offered.

Edit: Sorry! I should have said “in order to replace what OPPO offered”.

Last edited:
For that matter, I am not sure if the 203 is up to the same standards in terms of robustness as its previous players. As for the x800, to me one major flaw I see with streaming is the lack of SMB/NFS support requiring one to use a uPnP media server. I much prefer directly playing the files from the file server.
So, what Oppo players do you own?
Do you own a 203?
I'm guessing not, otherwise you would know that the 203 construction best's the 103, equals the 105 I own & kills the 80 I own but that's not a far comparo.
The 205's I own kills every previous Oppo I've used or have owned by a mile.

Each generation of Oppo players have out performed the previous by tangible quantitative and qualitative means.

So, what Oppo players do you own?
Do you own a 203?
I'm guessing not, otherwise you would know that the 203 construction best's the 103, equals the 105 I own & kills the 80 I own but that's not a far comparo.
The 205's I own kills every previous Oppo I've used or have owned by a mile.

Each generation of Oppo players have out performed the previous by tangible quantitative and qualitative means.

Aah good question. You would be guessing wrong :). I actually own a BDP-83, purchased back in 2009 when it first came out. And yes, I do own a 203. I was referring to robustness as in the stability of the player. In my experience, owning this thing for the past month or more I have had to do a hard reset on the device a number of times. The media player app too (Android) has it its share of bugginess too. I dont remember ever having to do a hard reset on my 83, granted it is a far less complicated device than the 203. In either case my ownership is irrelevant. You can read about some of the same issues on various forums as well. Mind you I am not saying that it s poorly constructed or anything like that, just that it is not a stable as previous devices.

Filper, it is not that hard. I think there is a guide on QQ. Otherwise look at computeraudiophile.com. Otherwise we can help you out brother.
I will make it even easier:
1) Just buy an used Sony BDP-S590 player from your favorite auction site for @ $30-45 :

2) Follow this thread , on page 114, look at first post by klassikmann on March 9th.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/?page=114

Connect the player to the network, preferably through Ethernet.

3) Ask any questions you have.

You will be ripping SACDs in very little time.

Aah good question. You would be guessing wrong :). I actually own a BDP-83, purchased back in 2009 when it first came out. And yes, I do own a 203. I was referring to robustness as in the stability of the player. In my experience, owning this thing for the past month or more I have had to do a hard reset on the device a number of times. The media player app too (Android) has it its share of bugginess too. I dont remember ever having to do a hard reset on my 83, granted it is a far less complicated device than the 203. In either case my ownership is irrelevant. You can read about some of the same issues on various forums as well. Mind you I am not saying that it s poorly constructed or anything like that, just that it is not a stable as previous devices.
Got it. Sorry for misconstruing your meaning.
I wouldn't be happy about hard resets either.

I was referring to robustness as in the stability of the player. In my experience, owning this thing for the past month or more I have had to do a hard reset on the device a number of times.

You might want to contact Oppo customer support about that, I haven't experienced that, at least not in the way I'm (mis?)interpreting your complaint. The only time I have to power cycle is when the app (which I agree is awful) decides it no longer wants to communicate properly with my NAS. I can stream an entire DSD or PCM album with no problems at all, but if the app went to sleep (or whatever it does), I can't get back to the directory listing unless I power cycle the player. The player doesn't appear to be locked up, it just magically can no longer talk to the networked drive.

The behavior is generally easy to duplicate and I probably should follow my own advice and complain to Oppo about it!

I see the same issue with the 103.

You might want to contact Oppo customer support about that, I haven't experienced that, at least not in the way I'm (mis?)interpreting your complaint. The only time I have to power cycle is when the app (which I agree is awful) decides it no longer wants to communicate properly with my NAS. I can stream an entire DSD or PCM album with no problems at all, but if the app went to sleep (or whatever it does), I can't get back to the directory listing unless I power cycle the player. The player doesn't appear to be locked up, it just magically can no longer talk to the networked drive.

The behavior is generally easy to duplicate and I probably should follow my own advice and complain to Oppo about it!

I see the same issue with the 103.
Dealing with NTV550 for years, I built a solid tolerance for such things :p. The 203 is a paragon of stability by that standard. It seems with these players one has to apply Charlie Munger's advice “Tell me where I’m going to die, so I won’t go there.”. In other words find the actions that trip up the player and don't do them :D. I am still trying to find the things that cause it to freeze. As you had mentioned to me earlier, the most stable way of using the media player appears to be through file access/ SMB method. A lot of my interaction is through the app and that is where the issues come. The app is ok most of the time if I simply navigate to a folder and set it to play something. The issues start sometimes if I decide to skip a track or move forward to some point in it or change to another directory/track or heaven forbid play a file type that it doesn't like e.g.DSD256 , DXD, DST, DFF(compressed) etc.

I am hoping they address some of these issues with future app and firmware updates or I manage to discover its secrets. Call me crazy if you like :SB

Dunno if this is the right thread but here it goes...
I signed myself up for the last of the Oppos (UDP-205)..
How much is it going to set me back for..???
$2K???
I know it's a beast...but that is the cost of my Surround system!!!!

I don't think there's going to be another Oppo, and I don't think it's a coincidence that Sony isn't supporting Dolby Vision on the X800/X1000 and newer models like the X700 drop DVD-Audio support. Sony used the X800 to undercut the Oppo 203 and there just wasn't really the demand for a $500 4k disc transport, and Sony has had trouble keeping prices up on the X800 anyway.

File streaming is going to keep getting better, but I suspect there won't be another 4k Universal Player. If there is, it will probably come from Sony, but it won't be at the level we expect from Oppo.

My sentiments, exactly, ubertrout. With Major Film Companies releasing UHD 4K at a trickle [with some VERY questionable [and upscaled 2K] sub par titles included in the mix] even 4K is having its growing pains. The Universal player IS an endangered species so hold on to them, and treat them with kid gloves while you have them.

And NHK in Japan is working on 8K. Good luck with that. IMO, for major film productions ONLY and IMAX Cinemas around the world. Overkill for home theater!

Last edited:
Dunno if this is the right thread but here it goes...
I signed myself up for the last of the Oppos (UDP-205)..
How much is it going to set me back for..???
$2K???
I know it's a beast...but that is the cost of my Surround system!!!!

Well...if you are lucky enough to get one from the Oppo website...it would be $1200...BUT if you have to buy one from another source...prices start around $2,000 for a USED one....here are some examples....are you sure you need a 205?...unless you are going to use the analog features a 203 might suit your needs...a new 203 is now approaching a $1,000 on the open market..

...unless the inside components are equally..um..marginal?
There might be sufficient reviews out now to decide that. Otherwise, time will tell, I guess. The "wow" for me is how much it delivers for the price though.
My family is entirely happy with the one we use. And it cost less than a 1/3 what I paid for my OPPO (with which I'm also entirely satisfied).

There might be sufficient reviews out now to decide that. Otherwise, time will tell, I guess. The "wow" for me is how much it delivers for the price though.
My family is entirely happy with the one we use. And it cost less than a 1/3 what I paid for my OPPO (with which I'm also entirely satisfied).

Parallel to how the Oppos matched and outperformed in some respects the much pricier and solid Denon flagship players back in the day. The family and cost factors are relevant--only us hopeless geeks gaze at the machines spinning the discs!

Well...if you are lucky enough to get one from the Oppo website...it would be $1200...BUT if you have to buy one from another source...prices start around $2,000 for a USED one....here are some examples....are you sure you need a 205?...unless you are going to use the analog features a 203 might suit your needs...a new 203 is now approaching a $1,000 on the open market..

Agree. Let alone the thought that it is more than likely one wouldn't be able to tell the difference in sound anyway.

Wow. Next to the Oppo it looks like a toy. Reminds me of one of the first 3D BluRay players we had--a Samsung, I think. Of course, looks are just looks...unless the inside components are equally..um..marginal?
Since the x800 doesn't have an analog output, the quality of internal parts is not as relevant (to me at least). Most of the major processing chips are from a few OEM chipmakers (e.g. Mediatek) any way. A good portion of the remaining circuitry is simply in support of the main chips. While not as well built as the 203, it seems like a fairly solid piece of equipment relative to most other consumer players to me. Most certainly far superior to the cheapo Sony BDP S590 I use for ripping SACDs. For the measly $130 at which it can be had, it seems like a downright bargain, provided it continues to behave well.

Wow. Next to the Oppo it looks like a toy. Reminds me of one of the first 3D BluRay players we had--a Samsung, I think. Of course, looks are just looks...unless the inside components are equally..um..marginal?

For $150 USD you might want to snag one anyway to at least have an optical transport compatible with M/C DVD-A and SA-CD in case hardware players disappear. I am sure there are one or two discs in your collection (as is in most of our libraries) that exceed that price point.

Last edited:
For $150 USD you might want to snag one anyway to at least have an optical transport compatible with M/C DVD-A and SA-CD in case hardware players disappear. I am sure there are one or two discs in your collection (as is in most of our libraries) that exceed that price point.

That’s what I plan to do, buy an X800 as a spare, just in case, once it drops back to the price I want

If you're looking for an audiophile RBCD, SACD, DVD~A player......look elsewhere but where it probably differs from the Samsung you describe....it acquits itself brilliantly in the BD~V, 3D BD~V and UHD 4K department and if you're old enough to recall those $4K audiophile/videophile high end laserdisc players.....for $300
  • that little SONY X800 literally blows those EXTREMELY pricey dinosaurs out of the water.

And yes, I do have an OPPO 205....and a 105.....and a 95.......et alia [I have 5 working OPPOs].

Back