12 new SACDs from Dutton Vocalion in January 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know exactly one of these artists! o_O

Well, Michael, you need some shit~kickin' Country music in yer life.....and what better way than adding Dottie [West], Charlie [Rich] and Ronnie [Milsap] to your SACD collection.

And you wouldn't want little baggy growing up without ever knowing what a rootin' tootin' hoedown is....would ya, boy?

Dancing-at-the-Hoedown.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't we just get three (four if you count the Garfunkels) batches of rock/funk/soul? April, July, and September were an embarrassment of riches. I'm surprised it took them this long to do another easy/country batch. I'm sure they'll get back to more rock/funk/soul titles next year, just don't forget their primary reissue focus is easy listening-type titles...

I totally get where D-V’s primary focus is but youre right, it was an embarrassment of riches (which i expected to be the opening of the floodgates). Look at April; derringer and the guess who - which quickly became the first D-V title i know of to get a second pressing after selling out.

Since then, airto, poco and chase, so 5 rock releases for the year, 7 if you include the Garfunkels.

Well, Michael, you need some shit~kickin' Country music in yer life.....and what better way than adding Dottie [West], Charlie [Rich] and Ronnie [Milsap] to your SACD collection.

And you wouldn't want little baggy growing up without ever knowing what a rootin' tootin' hoedown is....would ya, boy?

Dancing-at-the-Hoedown.jpg
Uh, well, kinda true. Lol! What about the best one of those?!

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

They're not all my mug of root beer, but I'll throw in for a couple. For sure the Dottie West's as they are some down-home, belly-rubbin', toe-tappin', cousin-lovin' music.... if there's one thing RCA knew how to record - it was country music. You got some of the finest session men from Nashville at the time being recorded by RCA's best and being mixed into Quad the way they knew how.

That's some good shit, right cher.

If we could get some Roy Clark, Donna Fargo, Dolly Parton and some Jerry Reed.... I'd probably have to buy a pickup truck.

So I've tried to sample most of the albums (not easy to find all of the actual songs) and I'll definitely be in for a couple... Tomita, Mancini and Dr. Teleny's Incredible Plugged-in Orchestra... (Just for that name alone!) Will evaluate properly after Chrimbo when ordering...

12 is quite a lot to go for in one batch! And interesting there's a bit of notice. Maybe they're clearing the decks for all those mega 2019 quad releases to come?! ;)

While I'm the first to buy all the hugely popular releases in surround......I find that these fun releases from Dutton just seem to fit the bill for me. I think it's like home cooking for me. Comfort food....etc. Many of the titles they release take me back to my young teen years....sitting at the living room table at my long past Grandpa's house...playing cards or putting puzzles together with Gramps.....and...this music playing in the background.

I love them, just for that. (y)

Every time there's a "lull" in the big name surround releases, that's when I find myself browsing the DV website for more surround... right now I'm waiting on a big shipment of DV stuff I've never heard of from across the pond, so I think I'll hold-off and start making a DV "wishlist" for myself (starting with this batch), that way when I start feeling that surround itch, I'll have a way to scratch it :)

Which "ROCK" releases have D-V released? I'd love to know.

while they haven't put out any hard rock Quads to date (one might say there aren't too many to draw from in the first instance) DV have done MultiCh SACDs of the Quads of acts such as Chase, Garfunkel, Guess Who, Poco, Pure Prairie League, Return To Forever, Rick Derringer, Weather Report etc., that could all come under a "Rock & Pop" umbrella and slot into some sub genre of Rock, whether that be classified as Country Rock (Poco, Pure Prairie League) or Fusion (Chase, Return To Forever, Weather Report), Folk Rock (Art Garfunkel), Rock & Roll (Derringer) and Classic Rock (Guess Who).

as much as I'd love for them to do the Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, James Gang, Jefferson Airplane, Joe Walsh, Santana type stuff I can't see it happening.. but I do think a few Rock surprises could still be possible, such as the other Blue Öyster Cult Quad, the Mountain Quads, the West,Bruce & Laing Quads, Azteca, Argent and maybe the various Edgar & Johnny Winter Quads.. i don't know but 2019 could be interesting if DV keep mixing it up with a variety of genres as they have done the last couple of years.. a case of watch this space, I guess!

Every time there's a "lull" in the big name surround releases, that's when I find myself browsing the DV website for more surround... right now I'm waiting on a big shipment of DV stuff I've never heard of from across the pond, so I think I'll hold-off and start making a DV "wishlist" for myself (starting with this batch), that way when I start feeling that surround itch, I'll have a way to scratch it :)

i'd be the first to say this latest batch doesn't exactly set my pulse racing.. but i'm pretty sure there'll be good surround mixes in great sound quality and a few new ones on me in there so I know I'm bound to enjoy the lions' share of the next 10 (or 11 or 12 or however many it is!) and it plus the rest of the year's goodies (White Album, Hendrix.. crikey!) will likely keep me somewhat entertained at least until the next wave of Rock/Pop/Jazz/Soul releases.. these are good times to be into this hobby, we may not all like all of the new releases but at least there's a steady stream of stuff to pick and choose from, quite different to the doldrum years of approx 10 years ago.

edit: check this out wrt how things in our little niche hobby are on the up!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...18-surround-releases.24661/page-4#post-403183

Last edited:
While I'm the first to buy all the hugely popular releases in surround......I find that these fun releases from Dutton just seem to fit the bill for me. I think it's like home cooking for me. Comfort food....etc. Many of the titles they release take me back to my young teen years....sitting at the living room table at my long past Grandpa's house...playing cards or putting puzzles together with Gramps.....and...this music playing in the background.

I love them, just for that. (y)
Those are great memories and certainly a good reason to grab those titles! I have picked up a few of the classical titles for exactly this reason.

i'd be the first to say this latest batch doesn't exactly set my pulse racing.. but i'm pretty sure there'll be good surround mixes in great sound quality and a few new ones on me in there so I know I'm bound to enjoy the lions' share of the next 10 (or 11 or 12 or however many it is!) and it plus the rest of the year's goodies (White Album, Hendrix.. crikey!) will likely keep me somewhat entertained at least until the next wave of Rock/Pop/Jazz/Soul releases.. these are good times to be into this hobby, we may not all like all of the new releases but at least there's a steady stream of stuff to pick and choose from, quite different to the doldrum years of approx 10 years ago.

edit: check this out wrt how things in our little niche hobby are on the up!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...18-surround-releases.24661/page-4#post-403183

Tomita.
I've purchased my share of DV discs in the past, and this thread makes me curious of just what process DV goes through from purchase fees, master quad tapes to finished product, since they seem to pump these out at a relative rapid pace? Anyone care to enlighten me on this - say, "From The End Of The World?";)

Tomita.
I've purchased my share of DV discs in the past, and this thread makes me curious of just what process DV goes through from purchase fees, master quad tapes to finished product, since they seem to pump these out at a relative rapid pace? Anyone care to enlighten me on this - say, "From The End Of The World?";)

- "how do you think he does it?"
- "i don't know!"
- "what makes him so good?"

you say "Tomita" and i say "Tormato"! :p tbh i've never bought a Tomita SACD but i will now, to support the cause!

why!?
...because because because because because of the Wonderful Wizard Of Watford (and the wonderful things he does)! :SB

he's the DV Wizard,
there has to be a twist,
the DV Wizards' got such a supple wrist!

he's scoring more....
he's scoring mooooooooooorrrrrrrre...!!!!!!
WOOOOOO!!!

long live the DV Wizard with his supple wrist! :QQlove

ahem. long day. time for a V&OJ.:coffee:

Back