HiRez Poll Alan Parsons Project, The - EYE IN THE SKY [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT - EYE IN THE SKY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Im not sure what that means. In term of popularity and sales Eye was the summit (or was it not? Im guessing). I also think TOAFC is the best APP release, but I Robot is certainly up there in the top three. What does "eternal" mean?

Aw, come on..."Tiiiiiime flowing like a riveeeerrrrr"... the trademark APP song by one of the best voices EVER, Eric W (RIP)...I have heard it a gazillion times and I still get goosebumps....now THAT would be freaking awesome in MCH...for me , it's a no brainer and I Robot is a distant third...that's just me..

Im not sure what that means. In term of popularity and sales Eye was the summit (or was it not? Im guessing). I also think TOAFC is the best APP release, but I Robot is certainly up there in the top three. What does "eternal" mean?

Since we mortals are NOT privy to sales figures, I wonder just how well these Alan Parson remasters [boxsets and individually] are selling? I know, a lot of QQers are buying the stand alone BD~As of Mystery and Eye versus springing for the pricey box sets and perhaps SONY doesn't deem it practical to continue in this vein. As I'm sure each box set requires a lot of 'digging' and research not to mention graphic artists to assemble the books enclosed with the sets, IMO, why not just remix the entire catalogue and charge a bit more for the stand alone BD~As.

Just received my standalone blu ray disk.
Didn't get into Mr Parsons during his hay day. So this is a brand new listen for me. Firstly, this has very good fidelity and its discrete, that's a good start.
But ...something is missing.
Humm…..
It just sounds very clinical without any oomph. Yes its got most of the ingredients to make this a fine piece of music and I'm sorry if I'm offending die hard Parson fans but it just don't make me say wow!!
Which in stark contrast, 'Styx' did.
That's the beauty of art..we all see different positives and negatives.
So its 8.4 from me.

A copy of this was "loaned" to me a while back (you know who you are), so although I had access to the 5.1 mix, I didn't actually own a physical copy until the standalone BRD was delivered. And now that I do own a copy, I feel legit in voting on it. This one falls in that rare stratosphere of 10 for me. It is go-to demo stuff in my house.

Last edited:
I cast my first ever vote. A 9. Only because 10 is reserved for hallowed albums like Back In Black, Led Zep 4, Hysteria, Blizzard Of Ozz... If they ever made it to hi rez surround like DSOTM or Toys In The Attic.

Eye In The Sky is sonically great to my ears/system. I'm just really into only 4-5 of the tracks.

So although I was always a huge fan of the first three Alan Parsons Project albums, I had felt a little let down by albums four & five. By the time this was released I had given up on the APP so I have never previously owned this album in any form before. Other than three tracks that had been on the radio back in the day, this music is all new to me. And I'm now kicking myself. It may not be as strong of an album as I Robot, but this is still a pretty great collection of songs.

....and the mix??? WOW! WOW! WOW!!! This is demo material. Although I think Tales of Mystery is the better album, I think the mix Alan did here is superior. (Not that the Tales mix was a disappointment, it's pretty great too.) Very immersive and discrete. I need a few more listens before I vote as I'm still digesting the music as well as the mix. But's it's certainly a 9 if not a 10. I really hope Alan pushes ahead with the rest of the catalog.

As I put this on tonight, a lightning storm started. (Fourplay, ya shoulda been here!) My condo is on the 9th floor, just above the tree line so I get great views. I killed the lights, put the Oppo into audio-only mode and let mother nature provide the light show. Very sweet.

On a side note I'll mention that after I finished this listen, I threw in one of the Bruford discs. When that box came out I thought some folks were being a little too harsh in their criticisms. But playing Bruford right after Parsons, well the difference was night and day. Th Bruford seemed so flat and undynamic in comparison. The mix also paled in comparison to the Parsons mix. Wish those two albums could have been mixed by Alan on blu-ray!

Last edited:
Who am I kidding???Well, DUH!!! what did 'yall think I was gonna give this(come on people , WE ARE LIVING A GREAT TIME FOR MCH!!! STOP BITCHING!!!!)

Of Course , A BIG HEARTY 10!!!!

Dang, I got this when it came out on LP and played it to DEATH!!!!

Good Times...

We are very LUCKY, PEOPLE!!!
AP DID listen to us and , of course .. HE IS A BIG QUAD HEAD HIMSELF of course...Engineered one of the INDUSTRY STANDARDS QUAD DISCS EVER!!!!!

THIS, BOYS AND GIRLS, IS A.. 10 !!!

:SB:SB:LB:LB:hi:SG:SG:SG:dance:QQlove:rocks:51QQ

Hi all,
This is my 1st post & vote, I'm new to the forum though I've been lurking for sometime. I voted a 9 on this. (...held off on giving it a 10 since I don't want to set the bar too high right off the bat). Thought this was outstanding overall! Have always been a big fan of Alan Parsons Project but hadn't listened to 'Eye in the Sky' in sometime. It was way better than I recalled.
'Silence And I' was the high light for me. Just tremendous. Very discrete. I heard things I'd never knew were there before. This was one of the finest surround titles I have heard, period.
I also hope for other future APP 5.1 releases ....Pyramid, The turn of a friendly card or Eve would all be great.
Thank you to you all for making this such a excellent & enjoyable forum!

Vacillated a little, toying with a 9, but voted a 10. I decided to weigh the content less (because I didn't own this when I was a lad like some and am therefore less familiar with the material), but I still think the material is strong overall. Hopefully it will grow on me even more with repeated plays. For APP fans, this is an easy one to recommend. Get it now! Listening to the title track was like hearing it for the first time. One can hear individual voices versus the FM radio experience of indistinguishable vocal blending. The mix is top notch. Tastefully discrete, and plenty of 3-D moments. Well done, may I have another please?

I gave it a 9 because, well, haven't heard a 10 yet. I found the mix rather, um, "diaphonous" is the word, I suppose. Not a strike, as I enjoyed at a slightly lower level than I normally play as I was working on my computer near a speaker (gotta protect what's left of the hearing, sigh).

Noted that some of the electric guitar had the quality of a Pink Floyd album, i.e. sounding off in the distance yet a little piercing. I think you know what I mean :unsure:

Hi all,
This is my 1st post & vote, I'm new to the forum though I've been lurking for sometime. I voted a 9 on this. (...held off on giving it a 10 since I don't want to set the bar too high right off the bat). Thought this was outstanding overall! Have always been a big fan of Alan Parsons Project but hadn't listened to 'Eye in the Sky' in sometime. It was way better than I recalled.
'Silence And I' was the high light for me. Just tremendous. Very discrete. I heard things I'd never knew were there before. This was one of the finest surround titles I have heard, period.
I also hope for other future APP 5.1 releases ....Pyramid, The turn of a friendly card or Eve would all be great.
Thank you to you all for making this such a excellent & enjoyable forum!
Welcome!

I'd like to ask fellow QQ members what they think of some very "off the wall" claims related to the Eye In The Sky 5.1 mix being made by a member over at AVS. Does what he's saying make any sense?

He claims.....

the doubles (and some doubled harmonies) are unbalanced. They are supposed to be at the same level so they sound like a single voice, but they aren't when the mix has them split between the mains and the center. Whenever that happens the vocals on the mains dominate.

Alan Parsons Project ‘Eye In The Sky’ 35th Anniversary Collector’s Edition - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I'm not very well versed in the mixing of music. But it seems that the Eye In The Sky multichannel mix is more like a quad mix and not a 5.1 mix. I find the multichannel mix to sound excellent in all regards
orangesmile.gif
!

the doubles (and some doubled harmonies) are unbalanced. They are supposed to be at the same level so they sound like a single voice, but they aren't when the mix has them split between the mains and the center. Whenever that happens the vocals on the mains dominate.

Probably because on his system the center speaker is not identical to the mains.

I'd like to ask fellow QQ members what they think of some very "off the wall" claims related to the Eye In The Sky 5.1 mix being made by a member over at AVS. Does what he's saying make any sense?

He claims.....

Alan Parsons Project ‘Eye In The Sky’ 35th Anniversary Collector’s Edition - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I'm not very well versed in the mixing of music. But it seems that the Eye In The Sky multichannel mix is more like a quad mix and not a 5.1 mix. I find the multichannel mix to sound excellent in all regards
orangesmile.gif
!

I think all you need to know about that poster is his statement that "thank goodness" it wasn't a quad...and when it comes to any mix...everybody has a different listening environment....different equipment...different levels of hearing...and probably the most important...different preferences...personally I like the front centric mixes...more separation is what I like...the Billy Joel surround mixes are an example...and when they listen to these mixes in the studio...your home system isn't going to sound exactly like what they are hearing...

My advice is just let this guy think he has it all figured out:rolleyes:..as I look on this thread I see another "quad hater" in the midst....and if anybody has to raise the level by +8.5db...I doubt the mix is the problem:eek:

Back