HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - GIVE ME STRENGTH [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Eric Clapton - GIVE ME STRENGTH [BDA]

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • 9:

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • 8:

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • 7:

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Okay, I busted out the PS3 and my old Blu ray player (granted, both Sony), and I have the same problem: Scheiner 5.1 mix plays fine; 461 OB and TOIEC SAY 4.0 on the screen, but they play as 2.0. The reason I'm asking is that I was shocked at how inexpensive the unopened Give Me Strength set was--$35! It seemed too good to be true! And now it seems it is . . . too good to be true. Maybe I'll find someone close to me who has an OPPO Blu ray player, but my suspicion (and, yes, I've been hardwired for conspiracy theories) is that the seller somehow got ahold of a defective batch of these sets. Any hoo, Peter Tosh's Legalize It arrived today, and I feel SO much better drenched in his dank sinsemilla surround sound. Peace

i guess whoever authored the BD could've assigned a 5th silent/empty Centre channel and there'd be no problem..? 🥴

Thrift store on Ebay
Unless there are Chinese counterfeit copies that are not fully full. I know many big boxes have been counterfeited (Beatles, Pink Floyd Immersion sets, Bowie boxes, etc.), and it’s usually the pricey ones not the cheaper list prices.

But an Oppo will truly reveal what’s on that darn disc damn it.

But an Oppo will truly reveal what’s on that darn disc damn it.
[/QUOTE]
Any OPPO Blu ray player owners near Evanston, IL? I'm ready to make a pilgrimage! Peace

What's your setup? I am able to play those Quads analog out of the Oppo, but NOT bitstream to my receiver. I ended up converting all the Quads to 5.1 and now they play fine. Of course, I CAN play out of the Oppo with the analog outs but I don't want to lose my room correction.

Also, I have an extra UNOPENED copy of that box in case you need a look for authenticity of what you purchased.

Give Me Surround!

I put on the 5.1 mix of 461OB yesterday and it tingled my spine! This is the sort of mix that this hobby/obsession is about. I have not compared this to the SACD, but I do not remember having such a visceral response. I really enjoyed both this and the TOIEC mix. Have not yet played the 461OB quad, but as they say "You May Already Be A Wiener."

My two minor quibbles:

1. Small text font on the menu screen (as mentioned elsewhere). This is the same in the Pink Floyd Immersion boxes. The production teams seem to assume that since this disc is BluRay it will be reproduced in high def, but I actually use an old CRT for my menu navigation. Perhaps there should be a startup screen allowing selection of "large print" and "small print" to start the disc.

2. On the main menu I once accidentally selected a mix I was not intending to listen to, and could not figure out how to get back to the main menu. I ended up ejecting the disc and reloading to get to the main menu. It did work to do that, but was a hassle compared to a remote function.

Here is my main perspective for this box set: GREAT VALUE for the surround community. As a comparison:

Quadrophenia Box = $105 for half a mix = $210 per mix

Aqualung Box = $142 for 2 mixes = $71 per mix

Give Me Strength Box = $60 for 3 mixes = $20 per mix

So this is what I call progress!

I give it a 9 (taking one off for menu issues), but the music is a 10!

Ken
If the Music is a 10 can we please give it a 10. I am looking at the scores in the polls to see which Quad/5.1 is the best :IE next on my list, do not care about packaging etc, if necessary lets have another poll for packaging menus. Lets stay with the music so we all know how good some discs are.

A lot of divergent opinions on this thread: The 5.1 mix is great, it's great except for a few songs, the quad mixes sound the best they've ever sounded, the SACD sounds better, etc. I'm happy with the whole package, but realize the lost opportunity in not including the quad mix of E.C. Was Here. Well, we get what we get folks, and this is by far the best-sounding Clapton in surround sound available, so I'm not complaining!

One thing I noticed is that the screen shows a choice of 5.1 PCM 24-bit/96Hz and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio 24-bit/96Hz, but when I tried to change from the PCM to DTS, it wouldn't let me do it.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to rip this blu-ray to their hard drive? I've tried a few times, but it fails with errors. I thought my blu-ray drive might be going bad, but it still rips other blu-ray discs.

Has anyone been able to rip this blu-ray to their hard drive? I've tried a few times, but it fails with errors. I thought my blu-ray drive might be going bad, but it still rips other blu-ray discs.

I was able to rip it using MakeMKV and DVD-Audio Extractor. What software are you using? And is it up to date?

I just checked it and I could MakeMKV it!

Back