HiRez Poll Mitchell, Joni - THE ASYLUM ALBUMS (1972-1975) [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Joni Mitchell - THE ASYLUM ALBUMS (1972-1975)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I voted 10.
Stunning box set, 10's on all the things that are important to me.
Size of box, content of box, ease of ripping, menu=perfect.
I have developed a good ear for Atmos, has taken a while and this Atmos is worthy of a 10.
I am also learning to develop a good ear for 4.0 as Rhino has really been nailing it's reproduction of 4.0.
All my listening was ripped content, MKV file and FLAC files.
I have been buying the Joni Mitchell Archive box sets the last couple years, a Blue MOFI SACD, etc, but this box set is the one that finally stuck and I will listen again, no doubt.
My first rotation was of the 4.0's than rotation of Atmos, next will be another rotation of 4.0's.

Please keep polls pure to your listening experience only.

Does it matter, as long as they sound good?
Not ultimately, I guess. But on other blurays (e.g. the Wilson Yes sets from 2014/15) it is fun to be able to switch between mixes staying at the same point in the music to facilitate immediate comparison. Not essential - but adds to the fun of having (wonderful!) options on the sound mixes...

Oh and having listened to all the different mixes on the Joni set, I am going for a 10 without a doubt. At the moment, I actually prefer the quad mixes on all four discs over the atmos. Both are terrific, but the four speaker experience just works so brilliantly. Beautiful set!

I am going to vote 10 as well. I doubt whether I will listen to the ATMOS mixes again. Maybe "For The Roses" as that one is pretty much a tie for me between the ATMOS and the Quad. The Quad is the standout for me for the other 3 titles. This is truly a "Quadio" box set. On the ATMOS, the levels on the surround and back channels are just too low and because there is vocal bleed into these channels on most tracks if you up the volume of those channels, without touching the fronts which are already high enough, there is too much echo/reverb. So unfixable, at least to my level of expertise anyway, and generally maddening after listening to the wonderful Quad versions.

Last edited:
On the ATMOS, the levels on the surround and back channels are just too low
Interesting, I can't imagine wanting the discrete elements in the sides or rears (like the woodwinds in "Barangrill" or backing vocals in "In France They Kiss On Main Street") any louder.

When Joni's voice moves around the room during the transition from "Harry's House" to "Centerpiece" on Hissing, does the level drop in the sides and back? If so, there might be some kind of balance issue.

Interesting, I can't imagine wanting the discrete elements in the sides or rears (like the woodwinds in "Barangrill" or backing vocals in "In France They Kiss On Main Street") any louder.

When Joni's voice moves around the room during the transition from "Harry's House" to "Centerpiece" on Hissing, does the level drop in the sides and back? If so, there might be some kind of balance issue.
If you look at most of the tracks in Audacity the surround and back channels are way below the front levels. It's just not enough for me a lot of the time. My surrounds and rears though are up the wall of my room and not at ear level but most Quad and 5.1 recordings don't have this issue. Neither do most of Steven Wilson's ATMOS mixes.

Last edited:
I voted 10! Joni Mitchell's The Asylum Albums (72-75) sound wonderful in 5.1 surround and quad. While there are some differences between the quad & 5.1 mixes, they're minor. One thing I've picked up on is that on the quad mix of Court And Spark, 'People's Parties' doesn't fade into 'Same Situation' the way it does on the stereo & 5.1/Atmos mixes of the album (they have a few seconds of silence between them on the quad mix). And while it's great to have the original artwork of the albums faithfully reproduced with this box set, it would be great to have a booklet included with the lyrics and credits in larger type so they're eaiser to read (while I can always read the lyrics to Joni's songs on her website, it would be a good addition to have such a booklet as part of the set). Anyway, thanks to all at The Joni Mitchell Archives & Rhino for the collection (and bring on Mitchell's 1976 thru 1980 LPs in Surround/Atmos soon).

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt

I just checked Hissing Of summer Lawns and actually the ATMOS on it is pretty good. Maybe better than the QUAD. I have only listened to Hissing once a few times before as it's the least favorite of the 4. Better than the other 3 when it comes to the ATMOS though. I hear the swirl in Harry's House/Centerpiece equally in all speakers so I guess that particular element is loud enough in the surrounds and backs. Given the nature of it I guess they had to make sure that it was equal all around.

I add my "10" to the perfect "10" rating, so far. This is a fantastic production!

I disagree with a couple of opinions in the thread, however. I don't believe these blow the CD-4 versions away. They have excellent fidelity. Just have the surface noise, of course. and, in my system, I find nothing wrong with the back channel levels and I don't have anything set any differently than I do for other quad presentations.

Doug

Back