Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have The original Stereo CD, The DTS 5.1 CD. and the DTS 5.1 DVD. I agree that the DVD sound better than the DTS CD. I just wish the 4 Studio tracks had also been include on the DTS CD and DVD! (especially in 5,1)
I'd love those studio tracks in surround too, but at least they all appear here live and discrete, right?

Review of Steven Wilson's 5.1 remix, an unboxing and more!
XTC as The Dukes of Stratosphear Psurroundabout Ride

Great review Baggy; I'll definitely pay attention for certain aspects of this wonderful release that you've pointed out in your video.
I agree, this is a total winner all 'round.

Afraid of Sunlight Review

Mike, I MUST commend you on the way you've 'beefed' up your Life in Surround videos with cutaways, fades, lap dissolves and charts to IMO create more compelling video presentations. Keep up the GREAT work.

Should have my Afraid of Sunlight set next week or so from AmazonUK but also agree very few remixes can even approach the expertise of Elliot or Steve ....and Mike Hunter is NO exception. Maybe IF they listened👂....they'd LEARN!

This was a tricky review for a few reasons:

1) I've heard quite a bit of Hunter's output, both studio and live, and think he is quite often reviewed too harshly
2) AoS is arguably more discrete than (at least some of) his previous efforts, though I'm quite happy with some previous efforts, so it's not a dramatic change, from my POV
3) The mix doesn't strike me as being as "aggressive" as a Wilson or Scheiner mix, though it's tough to say exactly why. It's possible AoS is every bit as discrete as some of their works. Comparing engineers can be somewhat futile, if they all have a range of effectiveness, all of which overlap, to some extent.

Coming out and saying Hunter has achieved a fully effective surround mix would invite criticism and mistrust from those who are biased against him already. Criticizing the mix too harshly, when it very closely resembles a Wilson or Scheiner mix in many ways would be unfair and also probably alienate certain fans.

Hopefully I struck a pretty good balance, but like I said, this kind of thing can be tough.

Yes, Hunter is not that bad. At least that was my thought after listening to Marillion "Brave Live 2013". The 5.1 mix is better than the previous live release, while it could be more discrete. He seems to favor ambiance and special effects in the surround, but here the drums are more predominant in the rears.

Yes, Hunter is not that bad. At least that was my thought after listening to Marillion "Brave Live 2013". The 5.1 mix is better than the previous live release, while it could be more discrete. He seems to favor ambiance and special effects in the surround, but here the drums are more predominant in the rears.
I've been trying to find a legit copy of Brave Live 2013 for a while. I'm finding all pirated copies, as far as I can tell. I even wrote Racket Records about it, but they're out.

Isn't 777 a holy number?
777.JPG

Some QQers will know this latest video to be a recut.
I thought it would be a very interesting experiment to take my least liked video from the 1st year of Life in Surround and attempt to edit it in the most positive way possible.
Let me know what you think!

Roxy Music - Avalon - Multichannel SACD Review (Recut)

Special thanks to @Snood for the rips!

Last edited:
Some QQers will know this latest video to be a recut.
I thought it would be a very interesting experiment to take my least liked video from the 1st year of Life in Surround and attempt to edit it in the most positive way possible.
Let me know what you think!

Roxy Music - Avalon - Multichannel SACD Review (Recut)

Great review. Considering the material I think they did the best mix they could.
Before my surround days I was disappointed with this album. I felt It was overly commercial and soft....
But the awesome mix is irresistible. It's growing on me like the stereo version never could.

Back