Moving to All Digital Files: Can Someone Post a How-To?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay those apps do appear to work. What settings should I use?

I'm sort of jumping in here last minute....are you talking about the basic settings of sonore iso2dsd? If yes, here is what I have mine set to.

The top page of the download links for those Sonore apps? I'm confused.

Hes ripping ISO files Gene.

he needs to choose "File Input" at the top of the page. Then choose the ISO file you want to extract from.

then choose either "Dual" or "Multi" for channel mode. This extracts either the stereo layer or multichannel layer. They need to be extracted separately.

then choose either "DSF" or "DFF" for the output mode. DSF= the Sony format. DFF = the Philips format. DSF supports meta data (tags). DFF does not support metadata. Most folks prefer DSF.

Select "Cue Sheet" if you want one produced. I don't use them.

select "Print" if you want to see the extraction progress (why not?). Nothing actually goes to a printer.

Important: be sure to check Convert DST to DSD.

click execute when ready.

When done the folder of files will be in the root Sonare directory.

Thanks!!! And what about the DSD to FLAC portion of the process. I think there were a few settings there that I was unsure of.

Thanks!!! And what about the DSD to FLAC portion of the process. I think there were a few settings there that I was unsure of.
Sonare's (isotodsd) dosen't do that. Sonare will only extract DSD or DSF. I use Foobar to convert to FLAC. I am not sure what you use on a Mac. Apparently there is dsdtoflac, also by sonare that will work with a Mac.

Gotcha. When I am home, I will check on the settings for these mac apps. I am using that DSDtoFLAC from Sonare.

I used ISO2DSD for the first time today. Very cool. Since I got on a Carpenters kick, I ripped their SACD on my Oppo, but this time instead of using Foobar to convert the ISO, I used ISO2DSD and was able to open the .DSF files in Sound Forge 12, which gave me the 24/352.8 files! I then downsampled them to 24/96 and saved as .flac to create media for my car. Very nice.

I used ISO2DSD for the first time today. Very cool. Since I got on a Carpenters kick, I ripped their SACD on my Oppo, but this time instead of using Foobar to convert the ISO, I used ISO2DSD and was able to open the .DSF files in Sound Forge 12, which gave me the 24/352.8 files! I then downsampled them to 24/96 and saved as .flac to create media for my car. Very nice.

View attachment 38950
I have read (but have no firsthand evidence) that SACD should be ripped to a sample rate which is a multiple of 44.1kHz. Something about SACD having its roots in redbook CD. In Foobar they always seem to rip to 88.2 kHz. Does anyone know the real scoop? Is going higher in rate beneficial at all? Is it harmful? I just assumed it just added a lot of interpolated bits.

Jon - Did I read right, you were able to save a MCH FLAC file in Sound Forge? All I've had was 2.0 FLAC or 5.1 WAV options; what am I missing here? o_O

Jon - Did I read right, you were able to save a MCH FLAC file in Sound Forge? All I've had was 2.0 FLAC or 5.1 WAV options; what am I missing here? o_O

No. Even the latest version of SF (13) will not save a multichannel .flac file. I have to save as .wav then convert with Foobar. I left a message in their forum and one of their engineer dudes said that they would put it on a list of "features" to add in the future. :rolleyes:

Secondly, I am making some kind of rookie mistake here with this iso2dsd_gui.exe error message. I am working from 'Ripping SACD's on an Oppo BDP-103/105 using Sonore ISO2DSD' document I found referenced within this thread. I have read the installation passage a dozen times and I cannot identify why I get this location error and never get to the dialog page to enter the IP address of the Oppo player: [I'm using D:\SACD as the downloads folder since it told me keep it short and that I didn't have to use C:\. So I'm sure I am missing something simple here and AAA will come along and help me out of this ditch! I'm leaving town and will return home Sunday 9/01; just wanted to quit procrastinating and get this process started.

ISO2DSD error.png

I've always used the command line version, so sorry, can't help.

No. Even the latest version of SF (13) will not save a multichannel .flac file. I have to save as .wav then convert with Foobar. I left a message in their forum and one of their engineer dudes said that they would put it on a list of "features" to add in the future. :rolleyes:
I'm contemplating SF 13 although I still use SF 10 most of the time or SF 12 for 64 bit and VST 3.0 plugins support.

Sure, but I have to switch computers. Stand by.............

The DOS command line is as follows:

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.149:2002 -P -I

where YOUR IP address would replace the one I have above in red.

Before you run the command, of course boot your player with the USB stick in it's USB port, then load the SACD. Then go to your computer, cd to the directory with sacd_extract.exe
in it and let it rip!

Thanks Jon - couldn't make that work either. There is just something I'm missing here about the extract and install then operation. DOS window went like this:

D:\SACD>sacd_extract -1 192.168.1.169 -P _1
libsacdread: Can't stat 192.168.1.169
No such file or directory

Wait, am I trying to run this from the wrong directory? Time for weather report and sleep.

Tim

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.169:2002 -P -I

-i (small eye) and -P -I (is a dash capital P and then <space> then a dash captial I (eye)

and don't forget the :2002 after the IP address

Back