It could only happen to me. My first Blu-Ray player is a dud.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Panasonic Model DMP-BD85.
Had several decent reviews, has the analog outputs I need. Found several on eBay. Picked one that I liked.... arrived on time. Was told the unit worked! And it sort of does....

One thing it will not do is play Blu Rays. I tried the only Blu Ray movie I had, and it got as far as one of the loading screens, then locked up. Wouldn't even get that far after that.
Today, I received my Quadio Doobies box. Nope. Won't even try and read those. Tells me to "Check the Disc". Yeah, they're all brand new.

Gonna try and pop the cover off tomorrow, maybe clean the laser glass. But after doing a further Google search, I not only find out these units are notorious for having dead blue lasers, but also replacements no longer exist. They might have a year ago, but apparently I've slipped into the dimension where they do not.

This is why I dislike embracing modern technology. My Q8's play fine. Hell, I got CD-4 to work! I have three cars that are still carburetted.
But nope.... can't do Blu Ray. Fook mi.

If the seller represented it as working and it doesn't, get your money back.

Doug
Agreed. eBay has great buyer protection.

If you want a new Blu-ray player with multichannel analog outs, there's the Panasonic DP-UB820-K:

https://shop.panasonic.com/audio-and-video/blu-ray-dvd-players/blu-ray-players/dp-ub820-k
It doesn't play DVD-Audio or SACD, but it will play DVD-Video, CD, Blu-ray, and 4K UHD Blu-ray. I have one to complement my older Oppo BDP-103D, which will play DVD-Audio and SACD (and decode HDCD, and rip SACD). In the three years I've owned it, it has given me zero problems.

If the seller represented it as working and it doesn't, get your money back.

Doug

Unfortunately, it's been more than 30 days. My own fault really, first I had to wait for a remote to show up, then I had to wait until I had another Blu-Ray disc to try just to make sure the first disc I tried wasn`t a bad one. It was one of those Manufacture on Demand discs. So, it could have been suspect. Not a big deal, I think I can absorb the $40 (US$) loss on this one. I just thought it was particularly funny as it was a relative experience to my life. If something can go wrong, it WILL go wrong - - so prepare.

Unfortunately, it's been more than 30 days. My own fault really, first I had to wait for a remote to show up, then I had to wait until I had another Blu-Ray disc to try just to make sure the first disc I tried wasn`t a bad one. It was one of those Manufacture on Demand discs. So, it could have been suspect. Not a big deal, I think I can absorb the $40 (US$) loss on this one. I just thought it was particularly funny as it was a relative experience to my life. If something can go wrong, it WILL go wrong - - so prepare.
Try unplugging the player from power, hold down the power button for several seconds, plug it back in and try again. Sometimes it works. Worth a try.

Agreed. eBay has great buyer protection.

If you want a new Blu-ray player with multichannel analog outs, there's the Panasonic DP-UB820-K:

https://shop.panasonic.com/audio-and-video/blu-ray-dvd-players/blu-ray-players/dp-ub820-k
It doesn't play DVD-Audio or SACD, but it will play DVD-Video, CD, Blu-ray, and 4K UHD Blu-ray. I have one to complement my older Oppo BDP-103D, which will play DVD-Audio and SACD (and decode HDCD, and rip SACD). In the three years I've owned it, it has given me zero problems.
I have had the Australian version for two and a half years. It's a great player.

*** UPDATE! ***

Not 100% sure it was anything I did, but I took the player apart, and powered it up. I saw blue light from the blue laser lens, so figured it couldn't be completely dead. So, I cleaned the lenses with isopropyl alcohol. I did try playing it a couple times with the lid off and noticed it would attempt to spin the disc up, stop, try again, but only get a quarter of a rotation further. I spun the disc by hand a couple times and it resumed and lo and behold I saw it recognize a disc from the front panel displaying (BD).
Re-assembled the little turd, hooked it up and currently I'm listening to the Doobies "Toulouse Street" BD-A.
All's swell that ends swell. :LOL:
Of course, it won't play SACD's, so I'm going to constuct an audio switching box out of an old video switching box. I lucked out with this box I've got since they've used 12-pole switches, but are only utilizing THREE for the video/audio switching. That's more than enough to make a 4-channel switcher box out of it. That way I can leave a few items connected at the same time, and just push a button for what I want to play. Much easier than swapping cables.

Back