Moving to All Digital Files: Can Someone Post a How-To?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to look into what formats the new receiver plays directly from its USB port. It doesn't appear to play these FLAC files but I didn't try very hard last night.

I will have to look into what formats the new receiver plays directly from its USB port. It doesn't appear to play these FLAC files but I didn't try very hard last night.
I have shopped and bought two AVRs for family members in the last few months. The result of my search regarding USB playback on an AVR is this:

Many AVRs wont play FLAC at all.

If it does play FLAC, it probably wont play multichannel FLAC.

USB inputs on Blue ray players often will play FLAC, many will even play Multichannel FLAC. But I have yet to find one that can play gapless.

Of course I didn't check out every AVR and BRP out there so YMMV. If you find an AVR or player that actually will play MCH FLAC gapless, I'm sure QQ members would like to know about it.

Your best bet is to get a media player.

Hey with this whole digital files thing (I'm doing 5.1 FLAC files) is there a way to not have the gap between songs that flow into one another? For most stuff, it's fine, but Pink Floyd or the Beatles Love it's just distracting to listen. Is there a way to combine tracks somehow? (Similar to the "Join CD Tracks" option in iTunes?)
The easiest method I know of is to convert your per-track FLAC files into whole-album files plus associated cue sheets. This doesn't work for when you want to shuffle in most players (hardware or software; JRiver Media Center treats cue tracks as individual and will happily shuffle), but for straight-through album listening, it guarantees gapless playback.

Last edited:
I have shopped and bought two AVRs for family members in the last few months. The result of my search regarding USB playback on an AVR is this:

Many AVRs wont play FLAC at all.

If it does play FLAC, it probably wont play multichannel FLAC.

USB inputs on Blue ray players often will play FLAC, many will even play Multichannel FLAC. But I have yet to find one that can play gapless.

Of course I didn't check out every AVR and BRP out there so YMMV. If you find an AVR or player that actually will play MCH FLAC gapless, I'm sure QQ members would like to know about it.

Your best bet is to get a media player.

Right on. I have a Yamaha (2050). Plays FLAC, but no multichannel. I use my Oppo 103 as a media player for MCH.

Yeah my new RX-V 2085 plays FLAC but I need to see if it does multichannel. If not, it's no big deal, my Sony 4K player does fine with the multichannel.

So anyone have an idea how I open/use an ISO file on a Mac? I was unable to open it with MakeMKV or Disk Utility... I assume I need to somehow "mount" the ISO so that MakeMKV can see it as a disc.

So anyone have an idea how I open/use an ISO file on a Mac? I was unable to open it with MakeMKV or Disk Utility... I assume I need to somehow "mount" the ISO so that MakeMKV can see it as a disc.
Usually, you can just double-click an ISO to mount it as a disk image.

What do you plan to do with it? Off hand the only software I know that will extract files from it are Windows based. The only media players I know of that will play ISOs are Foobar (Windows again) and JRiver.

I double click the ISO - it should take you into 2 folders. From there I drag the the Audio_ folder into desktop. I then go into DVDAE and select that folder from the 'folder option' and usually it recognises the tracks.... If you're lucky you can download the metadata as well... :phones

I ripped all my CDs over 4-5 years using EAC.
Unfortunately I had an older version of EAC on those days and it didn't tag the files completely. I am now adding further information and cover art to every FLAC folder. 1000s of them!
Labour of love

Back