HiRez Poll Simple Minds - SPARKLE IN THE RAIN [DVD-A/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Simple Minds - SPARKLE IN THE RAIN

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Just out of curiosity, what are your specific issues with them?

I think it's a mix of things, but definitely a lack of... something. Aggression is a good word for some of it, but they also feel as if he's left the job half done. Admittedly, I've not heard everything he's done, but when it's an album I love (Sparkle in the Rain, Roxy Music), I've been left thinking he could have done more - and when it's one I'm not familiar with, I'm not impressed.

I don't really have one, I don't think - either I like how an album sounds (some of Neil Young's, for example; some of Bowie's) or I don't. But I'll dig around and see if any names do keep turning up.

QQ members compiled a list of remix engineers, of both the modern day 5.1 surround music engineers and the unsung heroes of the Quad era, which might be handy for doing some digging! you'll find the info right here..

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedEngineers.htm

QQ members compiled a list of remix engineers, of both the modern day 5.1 surround music engineers and the unsung heroes of the Quad era, which might be handy for doing some digging! you'll find the info right here..

Still no individual favorites! I'm definitely albums first, remixers second. But there's a few who I would like to see handle other artists I like. Ken Caillart's Fleetwood Mac mixes have impressed me - especially Tusk. I seem to be one of the few people who has enjoyed Nick Davies's Genesis work, and Simon Heyworth's version of The Geese and the Ghost. Andy Jackson's Floyd albums; Kevin Paul with Depeche; and I liked what Bob Pridden did with Quadrophenia, but not Tommy.

Now, if you'd asked me the mixers who I try to avoid... but keep being given albums I love... that would be a lot easier :devilish:

I really like the surround aspects of the mix and the fidelity is excellent. Discrete and immersive. The music is kind of "whatever" for me (although I'd love to hear the songs "Don't You Forget About Me" or "Alive & Kicking" in surround). The center channel elements are too low for my taste on most songs, to varying degrees (I adjusted anywhere from +1dB to +4dB depending on the song). The vocal level in the center on "White Hot Day", however, sounded perfect to me, so go figure. It's probably just my set-up, although some folks seem to agree about the lead vocal being too low. Anyway, one of the great things about having the lead vocal in the center is you can adjust it to your tastes :)

...(although I'd love to hear the songs "Don't You Forget About Me" or "Alive & Kicking" in surround)

Actually, you can hear “Alive & Kicking” in surround - Once Upon A Time was released on DVD-A years ago and later reissued as a HFPA Blu-Ray. Only Simple Minds 5.1 I’ve heard, and it’s a really good mix.

introducing.. Mr. Ronald Prent!! 🤩

Lots of "familiar"(impressive) names associated with that album...back in 1985 the LP version was co-produced by Bob Clearmountain and mastered by Bob Ludwig...then fast forward to 2005 and the DVD surround version...mastered by Simon Heyworth and mixed by Ronald Prent...then the 2015 blu ray version co produced by Bob Clearmountain and guess who authored the blu ray...none other than Neil Wilkes....so as you can see... this album certainly had some of the best people work on it over the years...btw...they used the 2005 stereo and surround mix for the 2015 blu ray...

Maybe I missed it but Bob Clearmountain isn't credited with Music From Big Pink on that list :oops: if it is indeed missing... how can we get it added?

I'm sorry, I've tried! And I'll try again when the Tangerine Dream box arrives. Promise!

Well, I tried... I've spent four days with the Tangerine Dream box set now, and my only response to the Steve Wilson remixes has been... what was the point?

The sheer weight of material in the box is fabulous; even the "later" albums that I've always dismissed sounded good. But the SW stereo remixes of Phaedra and Ricochet left me staring blankly into space, not especially hearing anything that made an iota of difference, and the surround didn't add much, either.

In fairness, I've spent so many years listening to those records (yes, the 70s Virgin LPs) on headphones that nothing is ever going to improve on them. But listening to the box, it doesn't sound as though SW even tried that hard. It's great that he is out there, because I'm sure his enthusiasm is a large part of so many classic albums getting "the treatment." And I respect what I assume is his own instinct not to mess with things too much. I just wish his mixes were as big and bold as his reputation.

I finally managed to score a 'corrected' copy of the HFPA Blu-Ray thanks to a kind fellow member (thank you again!) and I’m really impressed with what Steven Wilson was able to achieve here. The 5.1 mix opens things up nicely, while also maintaining that dense ‘80s vibe - I’m hearing all kinds of previously-obscured details, like the harmony vocals in the rear speakers throughout “Speed Your Love To Me.” Most songs have the guitars in the front speakers and keyboards in the rears, but they do occasionally switch places. The big drums in “Up On The Catwalk” and “Waterfront” sound glorious spread over the entire surround field.

The tonal balance seems improved as well, there’s a harsh quality to the original 1984 mix that’s less apparent in the stereo & 5.1 remixes. Plus, unlike the prior two Simple Minds 5.1 releases, the dynamic range hasn’t been compressed. You can really crank this up and it doesn't get fatiguing.

My only knock on the 5.1 mix is the integration of the lead vocal. It sounds too dry and too isolated, as if Jim Kerr’s voice has been surgically extracted and placed in a space separate from the rest of the band. The center-isolated vocals in Ronald Prent’s 5.1 mixes of Once Upon A Time and New Gold Dream sound much more ‘forward’ and unified with the surrounding instruments.

I bought the LP of Sparkle in the Rain when it was first released and still consider it to be one of my favorite albums of the eighties, or any other decade for that matter. The dense, multi-layered sound of the original is intact on the surround mix but much more spacious, making it easier to pick out individual instruments. Even subtracting a point for my nostalgia bias I still must give this great Simple Minds multi-channel mix a solid 9.

So I've finally managed to track down the corrected copy of this album on Bluray... And its scratched!! This has meant that the first track is unplayable, particularly as I listen to all of my music ripped. The rest of the album plays perfectly and is spectacular, but I can't play the full first track in 5.1!!

EDIT: I've been able to track down another copy, and this time from oz! Hopefully this time everything works!

Last edited:
Back