Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get Out and Jack Reacher 4K: I've seen these before on BD but watched on 4K even though this website states that they're 2K upscales: https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/. I didn't think that I would be able to tell the difference but thought I'd try it anyway and compared to the wow factor I've had watching 2001, The Deer Hunter and Blade Runner in 4K, Get Out and Jack Reacher looked a bit soft in comparison (not as great a difference between darks and lights, even though player says they have HDR, and lacking the extra skin detail I expected based on other 4K movies). I also did a quick comparison with the Get Out BD and 4K and could barely tell the difference. Just thought I'd pass on what I reckon anyway in case anyone's wondering what the difference between upscaled 2K and native 4K scans may look like. The benefit of getting the 4K is that you get the BD too so there's that.

Audio on both movies is really good. Great gunshots and car engine noises in Jack Reacher. Decent surround moments in Get Out.

Long Weekend (1977) BD: It's a long weekend here in NZ so I watched this. Decent Australian thriller/horror that has a definite atmosphere. Picture is great and there's a new 5.1 mix that discretely placed the action around the room as it should be. There's not a ton of surround action going on but where it happens, it's good. Worth a look for that alone. I got this Region B version (which is a BD50): https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Long-Weekend-Blu-ray/213051/ but there's also this Region A locked version (BD25): https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Long-Weekend-Blu-ray/81241/. From the reviews, both sound like they've got the same 5.1 mix.

While not a movie I actually just finished this TV series - Escape From Dannemora. Man this was a really great tv show!!! And quite remarkardly most of the songs that featured on the soundtrack have actually been remixed in surround. ELP, Elton John etc... This was binge watch addictive with stellar acting from the entire cast!

I love it when you find a good TV series - the last couple I’ve really enjoyed were Sharp Objects and Sucession. Now got True Detective and the last ever Game of Thrones coming up! :eek:

While not a movie I actually just finished this TV series - Escape From Dannemora. Man this was a really great tv show!!! And quite remarkardly most of the songs that featured on the soundtrack have actually been remixed in surround. ELP, Elton John etc... This was binge watch addictive with stellar acting from the entire cast!

I love it when you find a good TV series - the last couple I’ve really enjoyed were Sharp Objects and Sucession. Now got True Detective and the last ever Game of Thrones coming up! :eek:

Smithers did you see the first see the first season of True Detective?? Was awwwwwesome :LB

I certainly have Sir Snood - it is totally flippin' awesome. :SB Up there as one of the all time classics! The second season was not quite so good but I have high hopes for this new season 3. First 2 episodes were very promising!

A great series indeed, Master Smithers. And all this transpired a few hours north of my residence in Southern New York. Patricia Arquette was outstanding and every girl would LOVE a 'catch' like her hubby Lyle. The music was great and Ben Stiller's direction was superb as were Benicio and Paul [Dano]. The music was discrete, as well.

I also watched BREXIT last night with the always brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch [Sherlock] on HBO and of course we ALL know that 'happy ending' and an absolute precursor to our fatally flawed 2016 US election. Never underestimate the little man because eventually he WILL overcome. If John Paul Sartre was alive today....would he write a novel called "No Brexit?"

And then there's TRUE DETECTIVE. Season one was excellent, season two a bust and I'm now DVRing all of Season Three for viewing on a snowy day [15 degrees below ZERO tonight into tomorrow..... Brrrr!]...but NO snow!

Hahaha Lyle! Although he did manage to seduce Patricia Arquette with a lunchtime bonk in the car park at work?! That prison looked quite bleak old bean so you better be on your best behaviour! Well I suppose at least you know how to get out - worst case scenario?!

I haven't seen the Brexit show yet but I've heard it's good... He's a very good actor Mr Cumberbatch. He was also in Patrick Melrose which is really good even though it's quite a harsh storyline. Quite a nasty Hugo Weaving in it - worse then The Matrix!

I don't suppose it had any answers in the end, because nobody's got a bloody clue here?!? I suppose being philosophical if John Paul Sartre were to write a book about it he would entitle it - La réponse à la question ultime de la vie, de l'univers et de tout est 42... :cool:

Hahaha Lyle! Although he did manage to seduce Patricia Arquette with a lunchtime bonk in the car park at work?! That prison looked quite bleak old bean so you better be on your best behaviour! Well I suppose at least you know how to get out - worst case scenario?!

I haven't seen the Brexit show yet but I've heard it's good... He's a very good actor Mr Cumberbatch. He was also in Patrick Melrose which is really good even though it's quite a harsh storyline. Quite a nasty Hugo Weaving in it - worse then The Matrix!

I don't suppose it had any answers in the end, because nobody's got a bloody clue here?!? I suppose being philosophical if John Paul Sartre were to write a book about it he would entitle it - La réponse à la question ultime de la vie, de l'univers et de tout est 42... :cool:

Patrick Melrose was ultimately depressing........but as usual, Cumberbatch nailed it.

Do watch Brexit. Ironically, the same billionaire behind BREXIT also masterminded our 2016 US Election in which you know who got in.

And your command of French is impeccable, Smithers! Do you wear a beret?

d522bb3e16a74ecfd72cdc66262a064d.jpg

Patrick Melrose was ultimately depressing........but as usual, Cumberbatch nailed it.

Do watch Brexit. Ironically, the same billionaire behind BREXIT also masterminded our 2016 US Election in which you know who got in.

And your command of French is impeccable, Smithers! Do you wear a beret?

d522bb3e16a74ecfd72cdc66262a064d.jpg

Of course - I wear a beret every time I listen to surround as it's good for room acoustics! And I heard all the cool New Yorkers did it too!

jlyo_cp_berets_std.jpg

Last edited:
Love and Mercy (2015) Blu-ray: Biopic about parts of Beach Boy Brian Wilson's life played by Paul Dano and John Cusack. I didn't know what happened so it was all new to me and I enjoyed it. The surround mix had lots of good discrete moments too and worth a look for that alone.

Love and Mercy (2015) Blu-ray: Biopic about parts of Beach Boy Brian Wilson's life played by Paul Dano and John Cusack. I didn't know what happened so it was all new to me and I enjoyed it. The surround mix had lots of good discrete moments too and worth a look for that alone.

I love that movie.

I am fairly new to the surround sound game and I am wondering if there are any surround movies that have great surround sound. I am looking for movies that contain a lot of rear channel action. Most all of the surround movies I watch only have a few things in the rears. I am not partial to it being music or dialog just great examples of surround movies.
Black Hawk Down.
Don't forget the aspirin.
Failing that, Heat. The bank job scene really pissed my neighbors off.

Just watched a fascinating doc on Netflix this evening entitled "Sad Hill Unearthed" in which dedicated fans of the epic The Good, The Bad and The Ugly to coincide with the film's 50th Anniversary, restored the original Sad Hill Cemetery in Burgos, Spain which Sergio Leone, with the help of the Spanish Army, constructed for the film's finale. James Hetfield of Metallica appeared in the film as he's a huge fan of Ennio Morricone's score which the group uses as an intro to its shows and the various film editors and set designers who were involved with Leone's mammoth production. Sadly missing, of course, is a Native UHD 4K restoration of Leone's classic to coincide with its 50th anniversary which was, BTW, 2016.

cemetery.jpg

Last edited:
Back