Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bird Box (2018) on Netflix have a nice and active Atmos soundtrack - very creepy stuff :) Sandra Bullock did a great role, nice to see her in a movie again!

Enjoyed Ready Player One (2018) a few days ago - on blu ray - it too had an active Atmos soundtrack, very cool :smokin

High Def Digest's Spot on Review of the new 4K version of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Folks, this is what 4K was MADE FOR:

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/56127/2001aspaceodyssey4kultrahdbluray.html

There's a little mistake on the first run of these that's allegedly been corrected since. As a purist, it really annoys me when that sort of thing happens, but as a huge fan of the movie I'm fascinated that I can see even a few frames of it that I've never seen before.

The scene were Dr. Floyd has the uncomfortable conversation with the Russians is supposed to end with a fade but doesn't. The new transfer is off the original negative, which of course doesn't have fades/dissolves/whatever baked in. Those have traditionally been created at printing time, or in this case, should have been created during the transfer. As a result, there's a very brief bit now visible at the end of that scene that's normally lost to the fade. Seeing Leonard Rossiter start to fish in his pocket (for a cigarette?) doesn't exactly change the movie, but it's jarring if you've never seen it before. Which, of course, you haven't...well, hadn't.

There's a little mistake on the first run of these that's allegedly been corrected since. As a purist, it really annoys me when that sort of thing happens, but as a huge fan of the movie I'm fascinated that I can see even a few frames of it that I've never seen before.

The scene were Dr. Floyd has the uncomfortable conversation with the Russians is supposed to end with a fade but doesn't. The new transfer is off the original negative, which of course doesn't have fades/dissolves/whatever baked in. Those have traditionally been created at printing time, or in this case, should have been created during the transfer. As a result, there's a very brief bit now visible at the end of that scene that's normally lost to the fade. Seeing Leonard Rossiter start to fish in his pocket (for a cigarette?) doesn't exactly change the movie, but it's jarring if you've never seen it before. Which, of course, you haven't...well, hadn't.

I'll have to watch that scene again. Thanks for the background info. I did purchase the deluxe 4K edition and it was delayed a few weeks so I'm wondering if I do have the 'corrected' version. I suppose, I'll soon find out.

Bird Box (2018) on Netflix have a nice and active Atmos soundtrack - very creepy stuff :) Sandra Bullock did a great role, nice to see her in a movie again!

Enjoyed Ready Player One (2018) a few days ago - on blu ray - it too had an active Atmos soundtrack, very cool :smokin

I'll have to watch Bird Box. Thanks for the tip.

I also watched Ready Player One in 3D....quite a trip. A nicely immersive post conversion, IMO.

Was testing the "music only "option for Beetlejuice , dee udder day ;

Noted near the end Belafonte and his band pick up in the rear channels , even his vocal comes through leftrear ch in the song...sung....Shake Shake Senora .(shake it all the time)

And of course lotz of orchestral happening via that Oingo Boino member , Mr. Elfman.

In dolby true and dolby digital , btw.

Well, I was at Best Buy today (first time in years) and I wilted over their cheap Blu-ray prices. Lots of their 4K discs on sale. I bought my first 4K title today.... Saving Private Ryan.....and it has Atmos, so I need to plug in my Oppo 203 and give that a try.

Well, I was at Best Buy today (first time in years) and I wilted over their cheap Blu-ray prices. Lots of their 4K discs on sale. I bought my first 4K title today.... Saving Private Ryan.....and it has Atmos, so I need to plug in my Oppo 203 and give that a try.

Yes you DO [have to finally plug in your OPPO 203, Gene]. Merry Christmas to Gene, Mrs. Gos 3.0 and Lamar 2.0 [expedited delivery of his cat treats is MANDATORY]!

Last edited:
The Deer Hunter 4K:
1. One of my many favourites and the picture is pristine. Definitely worth the upgrade if you're a fan.
2. Comes with the 4K, BD (not sure if it's Region B locked), another BD of extras, CD soundtrack (fidelity is OK). Here's the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DDFX43H/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. Audio on the disc menu says it's 6 Channel Dolby Stereo with the disclaimer that they tried their best to approximate how it sounded in cinemas back in '78.
4. Pressing Display on the Sony states the audio is DTS-MA 5.1 and it sounds fine. Surround action is pretty much limited to the score and crowds.
5. Really good separation between fronts/centre with Cavatina's guitar in the centre and strings in fronts during opening credits with more surround action on the closing credits.

Dances With Wolves (Director's Cut) BD:
1. NZ finally got a Region B release of the long version.
2. Audio is DTS-MA 7.1 and had some decent surround moments. John Barry's score is superb.
3. Picture could do with a new 4K scan, touch-up all the scratches and other damage, and a 4K release though.

The Deer Hunter 4K:
1. One of my many favourites and the picture is pristine. Definitely worth the upgrade if you're a fan.
2. Comes with the 4K, BD (not sure if it's Region B locked), another BD of extras, CD soundtrack (fidelity is OK). Here's the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DDFX43H/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. Audio on the disc menu says it's 6 Channel Dolby Stereo with the disclaimer that they tried their best to approximate how it sounded in cinemas back in '78.
4. Pressing Display on the Sony states the audio is DTS-MA 5.1 and it sounds fine. Surround action is pretty much limited to the score and crowds.
5. Really good separation between fronts/centre with Cavatina's guitar in the centre and strings in fronts during opening credits with more surround action on the closing credits.

Thanks for this heads up. I didn't realize Deer Hunter made it to 4k and from Studio Canal to boot.

Great "war" movie to show the really dark side of war that most people (like me who were never there) never could truly understand.

Great "war" movie to show the really dark side of war that most people (like me who were never there) never could truly understand.

This is slightly off-topic, but for anyone interested in an extremely revealing look at the Vietnam War, I would highly recommend "Ken Burns: he Vietnam War" currently on Netflix and on bluray (in 5.1 on both, and with plenty of music from the time period). I've had family and friends scarred and impacted from the war, and felt this (admittedly lengthy) documentary was both highly informative and cathartic.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Vietnam-War-Blu-ray/178770/#Review

Just ordered these blu-rays:
-"Coffy" and "Foxy Brown" (the Shaft soundtrack somehow led me to thoughts of Pam Grier:p)

Just finished watching "Seven Samurai" (Criterion) and decided I Need MORE Samurai!!!:
-"13 Assasins" (a modern classic samurai blood bath!)
-"Lone Wolf and Cub" series (Criterion Collection - adventures of a samurai and his son)
-"Blade of the Immortal" (more modern samurai carnage)
-"Hara-Kiri" (a samurai remake)
-"Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman" (it just sounds cool)

Finally:
-"Popeye The Sailor - The 1940's Volume 1"
(The restored Popeye cartoons are amazing- I've got the DVD's of the Max Fleischer years already, but this latest blu-ray is getting rave reviews... honestly, if you have fond memories of watching Popeye as a kid, check them out as an adult... these were made for adults, and the animation is really some of the best ever created)
Probably terrible surround on all of these, but man... fun times a comin'!!:SB

Never forget I asked my friend what he got out of that movie his response was priceless, "spaced out"

One of my favorite surround movies is "Bram Stoker's Dracula". Great use of the surrounds, espically when inside the castle. I have only heard the DVD in 5.1 DTS, but I see the blu-ray is now in Dolby Atmos which
should sound incredible. dr.jpg

Back