Yes Fragile DVDA ROT

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
(CORRECTION.. sorry Mods)
Found out this weekend that my hard earned copy of this landmark disc had some really nice rot on the outer edge...

Who do I have to get in touch so that they can replace my BD???

Will post the pic later.

if anyone else suspects they might have it too, please check your disc...

Last edited:
Found out this weekend that my hard earned copy of this landmark disc had some really nice rot on the outer edge...

Will post the pic later.

I just checked my copy and so far so good. I do keep it in a dehumidified environment.

Sorry Kap. I still can't understand why BD~As suffer from rot as I've never had a BD~V go bad.

Just in case you need a replacement, Amazon still stocks them: https://www.amazon.com/Fragile-Expa..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=N0ACS98EVDYQKFATC271

Will post the pic later.

Since Neil W authored the Blu-Ray, you can always email him and see what can be done.
Either that or post a message on the DGM board and they can get that message to Declan Colgan (who runs Panegyric records)
https://www.dgmlive.com/forum

:)

Btw, I've only experienced disc rot on Made in Japan Deep Purple CDs. Took a soft piece of cloth, polished carefully and bye bye disc rot. I did not appear again, for any reason I cannot understand

Apologies.. it is my DVD-A, not the BD, that has gone south.. I am going to play it to see if it affects playing.. but I am guessing it will...(EDIT: and it has been in VERY dry climates.. Madrid and Denver!!!)
DVDA ROT.jpg

Apologies.. it is my DVD-A, not the BD, that has gone south.. I am going to play it to see if it affects playing.. but I am guessing it will...(EDIT: and it has been in VERY dry climates.. Madrid and Denver!!!)
View attachment 35239

These discs play from the inside out, KAP, and it looks to be on the outer edges so you shouldn't have problems playing the disc. I use Dawn detergent sometimes to wash my discs under warm water with a soft clean sponge and wipe them off with a soft cotton cloth and it's saved many a disc from extinction. It will not harm the disc in any way.

Well damn. Just checked mine and it is starting to do the same. Not enough to show up in a photo. A half circle that starts from the edge with the arc just about to the data pits. Definitely in between the 2 plastic layers. I suspect air has got in between the layers and is oxidizing the reflecting metal layer.

Well damn. Just checked mine and it is starting to do the same. Not enough to show up in a photo. A half circle that starts from the edge with the arc just about to the data pits. Definitely in between the 2 plastic layers. I suspect air has got in between the layers and is oxidizing the reflecting metal layer.

Well the disc did say FRAGILE!:eek:

Sorry for.. "LIKING" your post but at least I see that I am not the only one!!!Do you live in a humid place?

Sorry for.. "LIKING" your post but at least I see that I am not the only one!!!Do you live in a humid place?
Really dry low land desert. This is not a humidity problem. Appears to be the glue binder between that is drying out and letting air get in.
When I first saw yours I was thinking moisture damage but when I looked at mine it was obvious the two layers are splitting apart.
Just made a clone duplicate.
For me it is having the music first and if it survives as a collectable it is an added bonus

Really dry low land desert. This is not a humidity problem. Appears to be the glue binder between that is drying out and letting air get in.
When I first saw yours I was thinking moisture damage but when I looked at mine it was obvious the two layers are splitting apart.
Just made a clone duplicate.
For me it is having the music first and if it survives as a collectable it is an added bonus

An obvious problem with the dual discs, as well. And remember those Laserdisc 'rot' problems [especially the domestic DiscoVision ones]?

Back