Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metallica - One - With Jason Newsted's Bass...
5.1 Mix by Kevin "The Caveman" Shirley
From The Videos DVD Collection

Pretty weak 5.1 mix. And Newsted's bass is only marginally more audible than in the original stereo mix, perhaps because Bob Ludwig was given the original mixes as an EQ reference for the 5.1.

Also: I recommend you set your playlist order to either "oldest first" or a custom order with the intro video as the first item. Currently, "One" plays first, then the intro.

Pretty weak 5.1 mix. And Newsted's bass is only marginally more audible than in the original stereo mix, perhaps because Bob Ludwig was given the original mixes as an EQ reference for the 5.1.

Also: I recommend you set your playlist order to either "oldest first" or a custom order with the intro video as the first item. Currently, "One" plays first, then the intro.
Other “Justice for Jason” mixes tend to have the bass guitar mixed way too loud. This sounds about right, to my taste, for thrash.

As far as the strength of the mix goes, that’s fair. There’s only drums, bass, rhythm guitar, lead guitar and vocal, so I think this does reasonably for those, but still. Little surround wow.
The mixes on The Videos get more interesting as the songs get more elaborate, if memory serves. I feel like listening again soon, as a matter of fact!

Thanks for the advice about play order. I didn’t know about those controls. LiS needs a manager!

Last edited:
Back