Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

# 2 of my top five King Crimson releases!
2) Red (1974): Both Larks’ Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black are revelations that I can’t imagine being without, but Red takes the next spot for several reasons. Basically the work of one of the greatest power trios (what a sound!), the album does feature some choice blasts from the past in appearances from Mel Collins (saxophones [and more] on In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Earthbound), Ian McDonald (saxophones [and more] on ItCotCK, ItWoP), Marc Charig (cornet on Lizard and Islands), Robin Miller (oboe on Lizard and Islands), and the recently ousted David Cross (violin on LTiA, SaBB, and USA), making it a vision of what might have been had the band not been in its death throes. And the fact that such an album could be produced by a group on the edge of extinction earns its place on my list. For me, side 2 of the album (comprising “Providence” and “Starless”) embodies the power of the Passion (in the New Testament sense of the word--artists driven, willing to endure pain, suffering, and loss for the sake of their Art). The blu ray from the The Road to Red box set is as close as I’ll get to replicating the bliss the vinyl brought me back in my high school daze!
Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 2.00.11 PM.png
9.53 on our poll
thread

Back