Quadio bundle #4. Let the speculation begin!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't expect it to happen period.
I'm curious. Are there examples of artists that won't be released by this Quadio program that nevertheless have their tapes digitized by the team? Or is it more on a "we know this will be released, so we're gonna digitize it" sorta basis? I'm not asking for names as much as I'm wondering if that's the case.

I'm curious. Are there examples of artists that won't be released by this Quadio program that nevertheless have their tapes digitized by the team? Or is it more on a "we know this will be released, so we're gonna digitize it" sorta basis? I'm not asking for names as much as I'm wondering if that's the case.

Eagles for sure , and possibly Rod Stewart, I would think 🤔 .

Let's not forget Roberta Flack 🙂
I'd think that both Carly and Joni have enough material for a box set. Eagles? I'd be first in line! Bette Midler? "The Divine Miss M" never sounded great in CD-4, but would shine like a baby's bottom in Quadio. While we're at it, how about Rhino including newer, never before in multichannel, albums that have proven popular, in the Quadio program? It's kinda sad to see Quadio used only for material that's already 50 years old.

It's kinda sad to see Quadio used only for material that's already 50 years old.
Fine by me, there is not much new material that I would care to listen to in any format anyway. New releases would likely be made as 5.1 or Atmos not real "Quadio"! Let's get all the old stuff re-released (or first released if unreleased quad masters exist) and then maybe expand to newer stuff later.

Correct:

BEAVER & KRAUSE -
All Good Men. Warner Brothers BS-2624 (EV) [US & Australia]] So obviously, the actual QUAD tapes DO exist!
Oh the EV format, an earlier type of QS/SQ matrix, pretty much a stillborn format. Any 8-tracks of either B & K quad mixed albums?

Don't forget that at the listening event in LA last fall, @ForagingRhino said that we might expect not just some unreleased quad mixes, but also some new quad mixes, including at least one by a mixer who was active in the 70s...
I know exactly which album got a brand new quad mix. :LOL: But I can't say. It might be a part of an as yet unannounced upcoming project.

Last edited:
Oh the EV format, an earlier type of QS/SQ matrix, pretty much a stillborn format. Any 8-tracks of either B & K quad mixed albums?
I'm sure that the original 4 track QUAD tapes were just encoded in the "EV" format which means the actual discrete 4 channel QUAD masters do exist...like Gandharva!

Mind blown? Only box set that would do that for me would be the Eagles. That'll only happen when hell freezes over..... or hogs start producing beef.

Would love to see something out of left field though. Like.... what if the all-girl group Fanny had a Quad mix made? That would be amazing. Or a Linda Rondstadt title....
For Left-Field out of the blue mind blown titles that might not ever come in immersive surround my picks would be:

Montrose - Montrose
Capt. Beefheart - Clear Spot
Alice Cooper - Killer
Faces - A Nod is as Good as a Wink
John Cale - Paris 1919
Little Feat - Feats Don't Fail Me Now
Bad Company - Straight Shooter

Last edited:
Thanks to Mark Anderson, we know WEA prepped a few titles for Quad that never got released - the Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations” best-of, Aretha’s “With Everything I Feel In Me”, ”Gord’s Gold”, Bonnie Raitt’s “Takin’ My Time”, to name a few. If they could unearth some of these, it would be great. We’ve already seen MC releases of other albums from artists like ELP & Billy Cobham.
For what it's worth, I thought it was peculiar seeing WEA promote an upcoming CD-4 release of The Beach Boys' Good Vibrations in 1975. At the time eight of that compilation's twelve tracks had only been issued in mono or fake stereo.

I'd think that both Carly and Joni have enough material for a box set. Eagles? I'd be first in line! Bette Midler? "The Divine Miss M" never sounded great in CD-4, but would shine like a baby's bottom in Quadio. While we're at it, how about Rhino including newer, never before in multichannel, albums that have proven popular, in the Quadio program? It's kinda sad to see Quadio used only for material that's already 50 years old.
Carly definitely does. 4 albums plus a greatest hits. Joni had two, but I believe that she has one unreleased quad. Eagles only had two quads.

Not every release had both! Since this was an early entry for WEA into QUAD [they later switched to CD~4] and probably based on 'lackluster' sales they felt there was no need to release it on other formats. But hopefully, the QUAD analogue masters still exist...and that's MY POINT!
Not every release had either tape configurations issued. And due to lackluster sales they probably still feel there’s no need to release it on any format even if the quad masters do exist. I’m not holding out any hope on that one.

So we have four new Quadio releases coming early May. A Deep Purple Machine Head original US quad coming on BR, plus a box set arriving soon after in the style of the Doobies box, but with potentially even more immersive content included.

The coming weeks are shaping up to be a fruitful spring forward. It was raining all morning again in LA which is wonderful for our farmers and drought ending. It’s been a very immersive period in several ways and it’s not over yet. I’m feeling pretty positive about things.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I thought it was peculiar seeing WEA promote an upcoming CD-4 release of The Beach Boys' Good Vibrations in 1975. At the time eight of that compilation's twelve tracks had only been issued in mono or fake stereo.
Since Brian Wilson is practically deaf in one ear (apparently due to his father’s disciplining), he really never felt there was a need for stereo. I recall reading that he considered stereo to be “unfinished” since the listener could mess with the mix.

Back